|Release date||7 December 2020 (Update)|
|Cooldown||10.2 seconds (17 ticks)|
|A magical spell that chains between nearby targets.
|Infobox • Talk page|
The ability hits the target for 20-100% ability damage, and will also strike 2 nearby targets within a 6 square radius of the primary target. It can hit secondary targets beyond the player's normal attack range, but cannot hit secondary targets that the player cannot see (straight line-of-sight required). Unlike base Chain, the next ability activated whilst using magic weapons within six seconds will also damage each of the secondary targets for 50% of the abilities damage range used on the primary target. For example: 50% of Sonic Wave's 31.4%-157% damage range is 15.7%-78.5% on secondary targets.
The Flanking perk behaves like normal; secondary targets not facing the player will take increased damage and not be stunned/bound.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Abilities with additional effects such as: damage over time, binding/stunning the target, or a channeled ability with multiple hits will be passed over to the secondary targets hit by Greater Chain for as long as the Greater Chain effect is active. This makes Greater Chains' effect behave similarly to mechanised chinchompas.
- Secondary targets with the Greater Chain effect do not need to be in view of the player to receive damage.
- If the Greater Chain effect ends before a channeled ability is finished, the channeled ability will stop hitting the secondary targets and only hit the primary target.
- Greater Chains' effect will not work on secondary targets if the primary target dies. Channeled abilities like Asphyxiate suffer from this if the primary target dies during the ability. Bleeds and other abilities used on the primary target will continue to hit secondary targets.
- The reduced damage dealt will ignore the remaining health and the hitcap placed on the primary target while also bypassing the normal hitcap. An example of this is: If a player used Wild Magic on a primary target with 100 LP left, the secondary targets would receive separate hits based on the damage range of Wild Magic. The damage received can exceed 10,000 on secondary targets on both hits.
- The hitcap for all abilities on secondary targets with the Greater Chain effect is 15,000 and is not Erethdor's grimoire or Tuska's Wrath-exclusive.
Notable Interactions[edit | edit source]
The abilities and non-abilities listed below have unique interactions with Greater Chain.
Primary target effect only:
- Sacrifice heals the player off the primary target.
- Reprisal hits primary target.
- Shatter hits primary target.
Secondary targets included:
- Greater Chain applies in PvP whilst in Multicombat areas. Otherwise, the ability hits only the primary target.
- Storm Shards applies to secondary targets.
- Secondary targets which are bound/stunned take increased damage from Wrack.
- Debilitate applies to secondary targets.
- Dragon Breath paired with the Dragon Rider amulet has a chance to apply Combust on secondary targets.
- Bleeds such as Combust and Corruption Blast are unaffected by the 50% damage reduction to secondary targets and will deal their normal damage range.
- The Shock and Horror abilities will knock back all applicable secondary targets based on their position to the player, and will not be knocked back based on the primary target.
- Each hit of Smoke Tendrils and Onslaught (up to four hits) the damage recoil is multiplied by the number of targets with Greater Chains' effect. Onslaughts adrenaline consumption is also multiplied.
- Tsunami may be used prior to Greater Chain to increase adrenaline gain via critical hits as the player could pair Wild Magic or Asphyxiate with Greater Chains' effect.
- Vulnerability will increase the damage secondary targets take if it is cast on them, and will not increase damage to secondary targets if vulnerability is cast on the primary target.
- Claws of Guthix applies an affinity debuff to all secondary targets.
- Inquisitor staffs passive will work on secondary targets susceptible to it.
- All combat related auras will work with Greater Chains' effect including secondary targets.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The 15,000 hitcap placed on secondary targets is likely due to the players original damage hardcapping at 30,000 before the damage reduction takes place and therefore will not be able to hit any higher, even if using damage buffs and vulnerability on the secondary targets.