|Release||8 May 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||180 coins|
|Low alch||120 coins|
|It's a bar of gold. Used in Crafting (5).|
|Exchange||1,011 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
A gold bar is a bar of refined gold created through the Smithing skill at level 40 by using a gold ore with a furnace, or by casting the Superheat item spell on gold ore, granting 7 Smithing experience per bar which fills a plain smelting urn or better.
Unlike other metal bars, gold bars cannot be made into weapons or armour. Instead, their primary use is to create jewellery with the Crafting skill. To craft gold bars into jewellery, players must use a gold bar on a furnace with a proper mould in their inventory or on their tool belt. If players wish to craft jewellery with gems inset, they will need cut gems in their inventory before crafting the jewellery.
A gold bar spawn can be found in the Varrock West Bank vault, obtainable only with the telekinetic grab spell. One is also rewarded from completion of the Goblin Diplomacy quest, and two from completion of Waterfall Quest.
Smithing[edit | edit source]
|Experience (per bar)|
|Experience (per ore)|
Smelting[edit | edit source]
|7 XP||-||4 (2.4s) [recipe 1]||1,011|
|Must be performed at a furnace|
Cost analysis[edit | edit source]
A single gold ore is worth 547 coins, while a gold bar is worth 1011 coins. Thus, buying a gold ore and smelting it into a gold bar, then selling it, results in a profit of 464 coins.
It yields more experience and is generally more profitable to add a gem to create jewellery. A gold bar by itself can make the following:
|Item||GE value||Profit (ore)||Profit (bar)|
- A gold bracelet can be sold to Grum's Gold Exchange in Port Sarim for 165 coins each.
- A Rogue can be found in Varrock which will purchase noted and un-noted golden jewellery from players, after completing the quest Summer's End. To find him, players must enter the Spirit Realm using Jennica's ring via the portal located in the Rogues' Castle courtyard and close the prison doors there; this will open them in the "real" world, allowing the players to access him later in Varrock.
Products[edit | edit source]
- This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
- To force an update of this list, click .
- For an exhaustive list of items, click .
Locations[edit | edit source]
Store Locations[edit | edit source]
|Drogo's Mining Emporium||Dwarven Mines||300||Coins||0|
Item Spawns[edit | edit source]
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Planks, bars, and leather|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||56.0%|
Price history[edit | edit source]
For a long time, gold bars had a low price (usually at around 90 coins, lower than even the bronze bar) due to Goldsmith gauntlets (historical), which greatly boosted the experience gained from smelting gold ore. In addition to that, Perfect juju mining potions used to automatically smelt and bank ores, which allowed miners to get hundreds of gold bars per hour without having to bank.
With the release of Invention, the price of bars increased to 400 coins due to being a readily available source for Simple and Crafted parts. The price increased even further due to the Mining and Smithing rework, which turned the gauntlets into Smelting gauntlets and changed the effect of Juju mining potions to no longer automatically smelt bars. The latest spike in price came with Archaeology due to the popularity with banking materials with Sign of the porter which requires various gold jewellery, pushing gold bars above 1000 coins each.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- Quick Chat options were missing silver and gold bars in the Smithing section, this has been rectified.