Kami (sea monster)
Kami is the word used by the inhabitants of the Wushanko Isles to refer to the sea monsters that inhabit the eastern sea. It roughly translates to "god" or "spirit". These sea monsters are not normal animals, but rather creatures composed of anima, similar to the gods themselves. They are born on the island of Kami-Shima, a nexus in the Anima Mundi, to which they are closely connected. The Memory, a sapient manifestation of some of Guthix's memories, is dubbed Kami by sirens due to being similar in nature to the sea monsters. The bakami are also referred to as kami, as they are presumed to be the spirits of dead sea monsters.
Due to being composed of anima, a kami's life force is a powerful source of energy. The Bandosian diviner Kakashi attempted to drain them to power a replica of the scarecrow,, and the ritual responsible for Zu Zu's immortality notably utilsied the intestines of many dead sea monsters.
According to Sensei Seaworth the other fantastical beasts of the Wushanko Isles may be connected to the kami and the prevalence of sea monsters may simply be because the region is predominantly covered by ocean.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Sensei Seaworth, RuneScape. "You might well already know the word 'kami' - it's sort of our word for...well, it can mean a lot of things - spirits, gods - but we mainly use it when referring to sea monsters."
- ^ a b The Memory, "Lament of the Sea", RuneScape. "Kami? That's what they called me! I thought it was just a name, but... Oh! My energy and the sea creatures' is the same - they must be made of anima too!"
- ^ a b The Memory, "Go With the Flow", RuneScape. "they must have a strong connection to the Anima Mundi! I could feel a connection, like we were made of similar stuff."
- ^ The Memory, "Gu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain", RuneScape. "Kami-shima is an island - a hidden island in The Shield! It's where all the sea creatures come from - it's their source!"
- ^ Colossi & the time of colossi, written by Reldo, "Kerapac Track", RuneScape. "The second group are the Wushanko Guardians, a group of colossi who are little known on the mainland. They originate from an island known as Kami-shima, a powerful nexus which created many colossi before the First Age."
- ^ The Memory, "Qualia of Life", RuneScape. "We also met some sirens out there! They called me 'Kami', and they pulsed with music"
- ^ Sensei Seaworth, RuneScape. "Considering their tendency to be animalistic, my leading theory is that they are the wandering spirits of deceased sea monsters."
- ^ Player, "Lament of the Sea", RuneScape. "The last Scarecrow weapon was powered by divine energy. . . So that is how Kakashi is powering his weapon...by harvesting their energy."
- ^ The Occultist, "The Blood", RuneScape. "I sacrificed a family of sea monsters and twisted their intestines about each other in a spiral. I focused the ritual on myself and - miracle of miracles - nothing could damage me."
- ^ Sensei Seaworth, RuneScape. "You know, though, that there are more 'monsters' in the Wushanko Isles than live in the sea. My theory is that they are all connected somehow. Though it's true, we do have a lot of water here, so perhaps that's why we predominantly find sea monsters."