|Release date||11 January 2012 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Char's training cave|
|Infobox (multi) • Talk page|
|Release||11 January 2012 (Update)|
|Her entire form burns with rage!|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|71 / 47 / 23|
10 ticks (6.0s)
|Immune||? (edit)||? (edit)||? (edit)|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Char is a fire enchantress in the service of Zaros. She is of, and believed herself to be the last of, the Auspah race, originally inhabited by the village of the same race. She is first introduced in the Lore story Twice Burnt and has her story expanded in the quest, The Firemaker's Curse, where she serves as the antagonist of the quest.
Like the rest of her people, she is capable of creating and controlling fire.
History[edit | edit source]
Childhood[edit | edit source]
Her village was attacked by barbarians who thought they had powerful artefacts and her race was almost entirely destroyed, leaving only some of them alive, serving the barbarians with their useful firemaking ability and Char, a child in that time, was left barely alive on the battlefield since the barbarians thought she was dead.
Serving Zaros[edit | edit source]
A week after the barbarian attack, Char was found by a Zarosian group, who took her in and raised her as their own. As a follower of Zaros, she first found work as a dancer, with performances great enough to catch the attention of Zaros himself. He then enlisted her into his forces, using her skills in battle.
Zamorak's Mission[edit | edit source]
Char was sent with Zamorak, Thammaron, Viggora, Enakhra and Perjour to raid a Fremennik coastal village. While the others planned the attack, Char was left to tend the horses, at which time she was captured by a barbarian raiding party. In the village she found that there were others of her people there, chained to rocks and forced to catch rock crabs and cook them with their powers. Seeing that, she became enraged and destroyed the village and killed all of the barbarians in a violent fashion. It is unknown what happened to the Auspah that were serving the barbarians with their powers after that.
It is revealed by Perjour, in his written account of the incident, that there were rumours of Char being the concubine of Zaros; these rumours are, however, unsubstantiated.
Zamorak's Betrayal[edit | edit source]
Later, when Zamorak had planned out his usurping of Zaros, Zamorak needed to eradicate Zaros' strongest generals. Being able to hide his true intentions from the Empty Lord using a duplicate journal of Perjour's, he and Char were sent to investigate Seren's elven troops in the west. In the middle of the fight, Zamorak assaulted Char from behind, stabbing her with a poisoned dagger and leaving her to die. She was eventually left in a cave, magically sleeping. This dramatically slowed the effect of the poison and Char recovered. However, Zamorak's list had ultimately succeeded, seeing that Char was indeed absent when Zamorak defeated Zaros.
Discovery[edit | edit source]
Char is encountered by the adventurer when they meet a group of firemakers who had a dream of long-lost firemaking knowledge in the caves that she resides in, having left journals behind that would reawaken her power. When the first journal was grabbed, Char woke from her slumber and believed that Zamorak had returned, but soon realized the group she sensed were humans and that Zamorak's betrayal was a success.  Intending to show the group what she had felt for thousands of years , she possessed Emmett, and had him kill Phoenix.
Char allowed the group to pass by her caves and obtain knowledge, but at every camp she would extinguish their fire and possess a random member of the group. Interested in the adventurer, she informs them that they will decide who she has possessed, and if they guessed wrong, she would kill one of the firemakers. As they passed through the rooms, Char slowly regained her power, impressed with the adventurer's ability to complete her puzzles. She also learned that Zamorak had ascended to a god, lamenting her failure to protect Zaros. 
Upon reaching the last journal, the group requested the adventurer bind all of them, as it was likely she had something planned. Char revealed her true form, challenging the adventurer to ensure that her knowledge was in the right hands.  The adventurer was forced to use their firemaking skill to combat her, but after a long fight, she was eventually defeated. Char admitted defeat, allowing the group to leave and offer them knowledge if they wished to return to atone for her acts, as she had acted rashly. 
Char sealed the entrance to the caves, although she left the exit open for the adventurer to return for firemaking training, while she continued to hone her skills to bring back Zaros and get her revenge on Zamorak.
If the Temple of Senntisten was completed (and before Zaros' return), Char will learn from the adventurer that they had worked with Azzanadra, prompting her to ask how they knew of his name, and why they didn't tell her.  The adventurer told her that she was too busy trying to kill them at the time, prompting Char to remark that his followers were returning and being restored, but refused to divulge the identity of the others or the plan they would have.
Assassination of Guthix[edit | edit source]
Char's recovery was noted by the Zarosian Mahjarrat, who took her and Nex to Guthix's resting place. The Mahjarrat had intended to bargain with Guthix so that they could bring Zaros back, although Char believed that it would have been better to simply kill him instead. If the adventurer sided with the Guthixians, Char launched flame vortices at the adventurer to prevent them from reaching Guthix, although her attempts to stop them failed. Following Guthix's death by Sliske's hands, Saradomin was the first god to return, who immediately teleported Char back to her cave.
She could be spoken with following the events of the quest. If the adventurer sided with Zaros, Char stated that it was a victorious day and thanked them for choosing the true path. If they sided with Zilyana, Char stated that they made an intriguing decision , though she laments the fact that she did not kill Guthix. If Fate of the Gods has been completed, she wonders if Zaros would have excommunicated her for such an act. If the adventurer sided with Guthix, she dismisses them for their Guthixian "ramblings". 
Return of Zaros[edit | edit source]
With Zaros obtaining another corporeal form thanks to the World Guardian, he immediately assembled his most loyal followers into a mind threshold. Char was present in the meeting, along with Azzanadra, Nex and Sliske, where she witnessed him dismiss Sliske for his actions. Char was ordered to keep an eye on the now-excommunicated Sliske and to attempt to discover the locations of the Staff of Armadyl and the Stone of Jas for Zaros, should Sliske let them slip.
If Zaros was given a dark simulacrum, Char states that her fire grows brighter, while if he was given a light one, she warns the World Guardian that they are playing a dangerous game. 
Sliske's Endgame[edit | edit source]
When Sliske called on the gods for his endgame, Char was part of Zaros' entourage, along with Azzanadra and Vindicta. While traversing the labyrinth, she got into an argument with Azzanadra on how best to deal with Sliske; she wanted to kill him, while Azzanadra believed that they should talk with him. Sliske taunted her, claiming that Zaros had knew where she was following her betrayal by Zamorak, though Zaros denied this claim.
In combat[edit | edit source]
Char's hits are based on the player's maximum life points, so wearing items that boost life points will only cause the player to take more damage. The damage done to Char by the player depends only on the number of fires that have been lit using the pitch can: about 100 damage for each fire.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
- A standard melee attack with her fists.
- Fire burst - A stomping attack which will put out your fires as well as harm you
- Fire wall - Once her health is down to about 25%, fire walls will periodically appear and sweep across the room. A wall typically has 2 gaps where you can pass through to avoid damage from the wall of fire. Also, going to the edge of the room will often avoid a wall of fire, even though it visually seems that the fire reaches to the room's edge.
- Sparks - She will occasionally summon small sparks that veer toward you, and which will appear as another yellow dot on the mini-map. The sparks will do a small amount of damage if they hit you, or will give certain benefits if they hit one of your fires instead. Green: life-giving spark, each time you hit you have a chance to restore some life points. Blue: cooling spark, with each hit you have a chance to slow Char's attacks. Yellow: glittering spark, your hits have a chance of extra damage. Red: unknown. The benefits from sparks are short-lived and don't appear to help much.
- Rage - Periodically Char will rage and glow white. During this time she will be invulnerable, and will cause heavy damage upon you should you be within melee range. She will eventually cool down into her vulnerable state, which will happen faster if you lure her into the water. A message will appear in the chat window "Char's rage subsides." and she will cease to glow.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When mentioned to Juna, Juna replies that "Zaros' return is not something I can look on kindly, but we must admire Char's devotion. It takes strength to stay loyal for so many centuries."
- Char is briefly mentioned in The Elder Kiln quest, when reading the Journal of Perjour.
- After an update, Char occasionally wears red clothes, instead of her usual pink clothing, along with red eyes.
- Char's distinctive hair could be a reference to the human form of the Firebird in Slavic mythology.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, Char had the fourth most life points out of all monsters, only behind the Party demon, the Queen Black Dragon, Har-Aken, and tied with Nex.
- "Char" means to burn, which fire is known to do.
- Char's battle form design is likely based on the mythical creature Asura, a many armed demigod usually depicted wreathed in flames and prone to aggression and madness (very much like Char in nearly all aspects).
- According to the story Twice Burnt, Char was rumoured to be Zaros's concubine.
- According to the Monsters of Gielinor infographic, Char's appearance was based on Kali, a Hindu goddess.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Char, "Char's training cave", RuneScape. "I may despise the Mahjarrat race for Zamorak's doings, but Azzanadra was always one of the exceptions. A true, loyal and brave follower of Zaros. He must think greatly of you to allow you to be present when making contact with our almighty Zaros."
- ^ Char, "The Firemaker's Curse", RuneScape. "I – I.. What is this? Who are you?
Phoenix: Foul spirit! We are ferocious firemakers! Begone from this place!
Char: Firemakers? What- What have you done? I can no longer sense my god. Zamorak's plan... he must have succeeded. And I did nothing to stop it."
- ^ Char, "The Firemaker's Curse", RuneScape. "You will learn my pain; what it is to be betrayed."
- ^ Char, "The Firemaker's Curse", RuneScape. "A GOD? He.. managed it? My failure is beyond imagination. Zaros is gone, and Zamorak a god? It does not bear thinking about."
- ^ Char, "The Firemaker's Curse", RuneScape. "You think I'm just going to let you leave with all my knowledge in those books? Prove yourself worthy of my secrets, and I may allow you to escape."
- ^ Char, "The Firemaker's Curse", RuneScape. "I must commend you all; all of you, Without Zaros's guidance I have imposed my own rage on your innocent lives. You have all shown great strength."
- ^ Char, "Char's training cave", RuneScape. "Azzanadra! How do you know this name? I demand you tell me!
Player: I know him! I helped him contact Zaros himself.
Char: Insolent creature! Why did you keep this from me?"
- ^ Char, "Char's training cave", RuneScape. "And an intriguing decision from you. I cannot say I disagree with it."
- ^ Char, "Char's training cave", RuneScape. "And you tried to thwart us! Be gone, you may be a talented firemaker but I will not hear your Guthixian ramblings. Zaros will prevail, and you will burn in his wake!"
- ^ Char, "Char's training cave", RuneScape. "You played a dangerous game denying him. You should not need me to tell you that you are playing with fire."
|This template is about Char|
|Quests and miniquests|