A ghost is an undead monster that is found in various places and dungeons. They are the souls of the dead who are unable to pass onto the afterlife, mainly due to an issue they had as living members that was not resolved when they died. They may also be summoned by necromancers to do their bidding, much like zombies and skeletons.
As they are undead, the salve amulet effects work well on them. Most ghosts are rarely used for training, but do have a chance of dropping the Ghost hunter armour. Level 50 ghosts, which can be called forth in the Forgotten Cemetery after the Spirit of Summer quest, do have good drops, but they are in the Wilderness. To call forth the level 50 ghosts, the player must first close the coffins then use Jennica's ring to enter the spirit realm at the graveyard, open the coffins there, then leave the spirit realm and repeat after all four are killed.
Players must kill certain ghosts in Melzar's Maze to progress through a level of the maze. The ghosts in Melzar's Maze can be spoken to with an Amulet of Ghostspeak (which you get from The Restless Ghost and is untradeable) or Cramulet; their speech hints that they were victims of Elvarg the dragon. In Daemonheim they have the power to heal themselves from injuries.
Other ghostly creatures are classified as ghosts and thus count towards fulfilling a Slayer assignment for ghosts. These include:
Some creatures that seem ghostly are not classified as ghosts and do not count towards fulfilling a Slayer assignment for ghosts. These include:
Also note that the inhabitants of Port Phasmatys, the Ectofuntus, and nearby areas are ghosts but cannot be attacked.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 16 April 2018 (Update):
- Ghosts in F2P are once again able to drop the Cremation ability and ghost hunter outfit.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 17 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 22 January 2019.) Mod Stu: "Had a look at the code: * It only drops on member worlds * Looks like a 1/1,000 drop chance, no modifiers * It just flags a variable and messages "You have unlocked the ability to burn bones on bonfires!", so it's easy to miss you've unlocked it"