Cremation is the ability to burn bones on a bonfire or portable brazier for Prayer and Firemaking experience. It is a rare drop from ghosts and ghost-like monsters (see below). The ability is accessible to free players when killing ghosts, with the exception of ankou.
Upon receiving the ability, players will receive a game message: You have unlocked the ability to burn bones on bonfires!
Cremation was initially a reward from the 2014 Hallowe'en event, costing 10,000 points. After the event, it (and ghost hunter equipment) was added as a rare drop from ghostly creatures, like the ectoplasmator before it. Starting with the 2017 Hallowe'en event, the drop rate of Cremation was doubled during Hallowe'en events.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Cremating bones grants two and a half times the burying experience for the bones in Prayer, and twice the burying experience in Firemaking. For example, dragon bones grant 72 Prayer experience when buried; cremating dragon bones grants 180 Prayer experience and 144 Firemaking experience. The average speed of burning a bone is 4 ticks (2.4 seconds), or 3 ticks with perfect clicking.
While cremation grants less experience than using a gilded altar or the Ectofuntus, it is competitive with these methods due to the Firemaking experience granted and the speed of usage (particularly compared to the Ectofuntus). Additionally, ironmen can use cremation as an alternative to the gilded altar that does not require training Construction or purchasing the materials needed (if they are lucky enough to get it as a drop).
Limitations[edit | edit source]
- Bones cannot be cremated on permanent fires, only player-made bonfires and braziers.
- Cremation cannot be done inside Dungeoneering instances; using any kind of bones on fires in the instances will result in "Nothing interesting happens" message appearing.
- Cremation does not stack with brawling gloves or Double XP Weekends.
- Cremation does not yield golden rocks for the Statue of Rhiannon.
- Cremation does not grant reputation when done in Menaphos.
Cost analysis[edit | edit source]
|Bones||GE price||Prayer XP||Prayer cost/XP||Firemaking XP||Firemaking cost/XP||Total cost/XP|
|Large zombie monkey bones||N/A||12.5||N/A||10||N/A||N/A|
|Baby dragon bones||1,514||75||20.19||60||25.23||11.21|
|Hardened dragon bones||8,030||360||22.31||288||27.88||12.39|
|Frost dragon bones||11,363||450||25.25||360||31.56||14.03|
|Reinforced dragon bones||17,213||475||36.24||380||45.3||20.13|
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
NOTE: Ankou only drops cremation/ghost hunter armour on member worlds.
Update history[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 19 September 2018. (Archived from the original on 30 October 2019.) Mod Stu: "I had a quick look at the ankou death scripts (including elites) to confirm. They only drop Cremation/herb-burner/ghosthunter/essence on member worlds. The above ninja fix requested only ghosts, and ankou aren't classified as ghosts (they have a distinct Slayer category)."