|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|NPC ID||1597, 22067, 22069, 22070, 22071|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Vannaka (called the combat instructor on Tutorial Island) is the third-lowest level Slayer Master. He instructed new players in combat on Tutorial Island. Vannaka is also one of the NPCs associated with the Varrock achievements. According to Duradel, another Slayer Master, Vannaka was once a student of his, and does not wish to challenge him due to his master's great skill.
Vannaka can be found in Edgeville graveyard south of the bank at the slayer master icon . He gives Slayer assignments to members with a combat level of 30 or higher. He is one of the few Slayer Masters with no Quest requirements, along with Turael and Mazchna.
After completion of the Varrock achievements, he can change players' Varrock Teleport location between Varrock Square, the south entrance to the Grand Exchange, or to the north Varrock Altar. However, he can only do this in person and not via the NPC Contact spell. To change locations, "Talk to" Vannaka, select "About the Task System", then select "I'd like to change my teleport point." Players can talk to him to obtain the elite Varrock achievement set rewards; Varrock armour 4, an antique lamp worth 30,000 experience and three antique lamps worth 40,000 experience.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Vannaka excelled in combat and Slayer. He is a devout Saradominist, highly regarded by Saradomin himself, and previously served in Saradomin's army of warriors. He trained under Duradel, a powerful Slayer Master, who was once the best among them all, before being surpassed by Duradel's daughter, Kuradal, and later, also by Kuradal's elven student, Morvran. Vannaka once challenged his former mentor to a duel to determine the best Slayer Master, and fought bravely but was eventually defeated at his hands; following the shame from this incident, he engaged in self-imposed exile. He became a Combat Instructor on Tutorial Island, a former school for adventurers, until year 169 of the Fifth Age. Since then, he has served as a mid-level Slayer Master, based in Edgeville graveyard.
Rescuing the cursed on Tutorial Island[edit | edit source]
The player asks him to join them on their mission to find out what happened to Tutorial Island. When the player returns to Wizard Myrtle, they see that Vannaka and Myrtle are flirting. Myrtle instructs the player to go to Mudskipper Point. After arriving there the player again sees them flirting. The player and Vannaka both go down to the sunken island. Vannaka returns to the cave he used to tutor in to search for his friend Dezzick and the player goes off to search for the other instructors. Later on the player also goes to Vannaka's cave and he teaches them how to wield a two-handed sword underwater. The player then continues to search for the other tutors. Vannaka returns during the final fight when it appears that he was captured by the evil wizard, Hector Vivian. The player aids Myrtle in freeing Vannaka and beating the Vivian. The tutors, Myrtle and the player then reunite at Mudskipper Point and everyone goes their own way after rewarding the player.
Slayer points[edit | edit source]
|Smoking Kills||Points per task||Points per 10th task||Points per 50th task|
Completing 50 tasks assigned by Vannaka grants an average of 6.4 points per tasks, if Smoking kills has been completed.
Assignments[edit | edit source]
|Monster||Amount||Combat level||Slayer experience||Slayer level||Weakness||Weighting|
|Bats||40-60||14 (bat), 16 (warped), 27 (giant)||8.2, 9.2, 18.8||1||Bolts|
|Bear||40-60||11 (cub), 23 (black), 29 & 30 (grizzly cub), 32 & 40 (grizzly)||7.6, 10.2, 12, 12.6, 13, 16.6||1||Water spells|
|Catablepon||40-60||53, 54||49, 48.4||1||Bolts|
|Cockroach||40-60||1 (warped), 4 (drone), 30 (worker), 36 (soldier)||1|| Crush (warped)|
Earth spells (other)
|Frog||40-60||36 (big), 44 (giant), 77 (frog)||14.4, 18.8, 54.8||1||Slash|
|Ghost||40-70||25-48 (ghost), 42, (tormented wraith), 53 (tortured soul), 61 (ghostly warrior), varies (revenants)||10.6-22.4, 52, 38.8, 32.6, varies||1||Varies|
|Grotworm||40-60||28 (young), 63 (regular), 98 (mature)||12, 107.8, 343.5||1||Bolts|
|Hill giant||40-60||44||39||1||Air spells|
|Hobgoblin||40-60||28, 30, 32 & 35 (hobgoblin), 91 (God Wars Dungeon)||11.4, 12.6, 13, 14, 268.6||1||Air spells|
|Ice giant||40-60||51||70||1||Fire spells|
|Ice warrior||40-60||54||59||1||Fire spells|
|Icefiend||40-60||35 (icefiend), 84 (God Wars Dungeon)||7, 140||1||Fire spells|
|Kalphite||40-60||58 (worker), 65 (soldier), 72 (guardian), 75 (exiled worker), 84 (exiled paragon, exiled soldier), 98 (exiled marauder, exiled guardian), 110 (corrupted guardian, corrupted marauder), 333 (queen), 356 (exiled queen), 2500 (king)||59.3, 75.4, 95, 109.8, 147, 140, 229, 229, 494, 494, 1309.4, 2055, 3963||1||Varies|
|Minotaur||40-60||14, 52||16.6, 46.4||1||Water spells|
|Moss giant||40-60||28, 51, 61||60, 85, 120||1||Slash|
|Scorpion||40-60||14, 25 & 26 (regular), 39 (king), 93 (uncharted isles), 98 (corrupted)||8.2, 31.8, 33.2, 15.8, 98.6, 353.2||1||Varies|
|Skeleton||40-60||Varies, see Skeleton (disambiguation)||Varies||1||Varies|
|Spider||40-60||1 (spider), 2 (giant), 4 (corpse), 15 (spider, poison), 33 & 39 (giant), 42 (ice, blessed), 46 (shadow), 63 (poison, crypt), 70 (fever), 84 (giant crypt), 86 (jungle), 95 (deadly red), 98 (lava)||6.4, 6.4, 6.6, 17.6, 34.2, 13.4, 31.2, 17.2, 17.2, 19.6, 34.2, 86.6, 77, 103.6, 491||1||Varies|
|Wall beast||10-20||47||20.6||35||Water spells|
|Wolf||40-60||8 (adolescent white), 15 (desert), 16 (wolf), 23 (wolf), 30 (white), 35 (three's company), 42 (wolf), 43 (big), 46 (dire), 49 (fenris), 71 (ice), 88 (jungle), 95 (ice)||7, 8.8, 9.2, 20, 12.6, 14, 17.2, 18, 19.6, 21.6, 45.4, 81, 207.4||1||Varies|
|Zombie||40-60||Varies, see Zombie (disambiguation)||Varies||1||Varies|
Slayer challenge[edit | edit source]
Vannaka will occasionally (or randomly) offer a special task in place of a regular Slayer task. The player can decline to take the special task without penalty. If the player accepts the special task, completing the task:
- Earns 4,000 extra Slayer experience.
- Earns 14 Slayer points, if the player has completed the Smoking Kills quest.
- Counts as a task for the player's consecutive task count, which is used for Slayer points.
Vannaka's special task is for the player to bring him one scale from each of the four types of chromatic dragons:
- A perfect green dragon scale
- A perfect blue dragon scale
- A perfect red dragon scale
- A perfect black dragon scale
Both adult and baby chromatic dragons can drop perfect scales, which are only found while on this special task. It seems that you now always get the scale on the first kill of each type of dragon, and no further will drop when you already have one. Previously, multiple scales of the same type of dragon could be obtained, but extras were destroyed when the task was complete. It may still be possible to obtain multiple scales by killing several dragons before picking up the drops. Note that the challenge is only complete when the scales are given to Vannaka; simply collecting all four scales does not finish the task.
Task weighting[edit | edit source]
A dynamic calculator for task weight can be found here.
The percentage chance of getting assigned a given Slayer task can be calculated using the formula
where is the task's weight and is the sum of all weights for the particular Slayer Master. Note that the weights of all blocked tasks, as well as tasks toggled off have to be subtracted from the sum . For Vannaka, assuming all possible assignments are available, = .
Preferring a task makes it approximately twice as likely to be assigned, for the first assignment choice, but does not affect the weighting of the second assignment choice provided by a Slayer VIP ticket.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Works[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 July 2021 (Update):
- patch 12 April 2021 (Update):
- Vannaka has left a helpful note in his previous spot to point players towards his new position.
- patch 29 March 2021 (Update):
- Vannaka has left a helpful note in his previous location to point players towards his new one.
- ninja 1 March 2021 (Update):
- Mazchna and Vannaka have switched places in the pecking order.
- Vannaka will now assign tasks to players of level 30 combat and above.
- Their task lists have been changed to accommodate their new level bandings.
- Vannaka has moved out of the Edgeville Dungeon to the ruins just south of the Edgeville bank, joining Mandrith, who has moved from the Edgeville Bank.
- Mazchna and Vannaka have switched places in the pecking order.
- patch 28 January 2013 (Update):
- Vannaka should now correctly give hints on how to take down Otherworldly beings.
- update 26 January 2005 (Update):
- Today we have introduced a new skill for members called the Slayer skill! To start the Slayer skill, you should find one of the Slayer Masters who are located in various places around RuneScape. There are five Slayer Masters in total, each catering to different strengths. They can be found in Burthorpe, Morytania, Edgeville Dungeon, Zanaris, and Shilo Village.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His Strength level (112) was revealed in Postbag from the Hedge 14. The Evolution of Combat's combat level system would make him at least level 174.
- Vannaka is most well known because of his ability to wield a steel 2h sword, and a dragon sq shield at the same time. This issue was addressed by a player to Saradomin, who replied that he had the rare power to single-handedly wield a two-handed sword because he was one of the strongest warriors ever. Vannaka offers a cosmetic override which gives the appearance of wielding his 2h sword as a 1h weapon as a quest reward for completing Beneath Cursed Tides.
- It is assumed that Vannaka is a member of Legends' Guild, because he can wield the dragon square shield.
- Vannaka has not received a graphical update for his dragon square shield.
- He has a gravestone in the New Varrock graveyard which reads "Vannaka. Valiantly killed a thousand zombies. Died while checking his enchanted gem to see if his assignment was complete."
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c Jagex. Postbag 20 - "Transcript:Tales from earlier ages", Letter 8, by Duradel. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ a b c Jagex. "God Letter 27 - Saradomin Enlightens, 10" (Archived from the original.) RuneScape God Letters.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 26 September 2014. (Archived from the original on 28 September 2014.) Mod Rowley: "Preferred Slayer tasks = a silent, second random roll. If either task is on your prefer list, that's what you get (bias towards first roll)... Once normal and prefer roll is decided, [if] you have a VIP ticket, you get the choice between that roll and a third roll."
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 14 - "Transcript:The woeful tale of the bunny ears.", Letter 8, by Vannaka. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
|* denotes that the character has been removed from the game|