|Release date||9 August 2011 (Update)|
|Examine||• Who could move in all that armour?|
• A mysterious warrior clad in thick plate armour.
|no map to display|
|NPC ID||? (edit)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Raptor is one of the seven Signature Heroes, and is arguably the most mysterious; "Who are the Signature Heroes?" only describes the Raptor as a mysterious warrior. When speaking to The Raptor, he will comment on monsters killed by the player in quests, often stating his opinion on whether the feat is impressive or not.
The Raptor's race is currently unknown, and one piece of artwork of him has been released by Jagex with the website's Adventurer's Log. The Raptor seems to be very protective of his true identity, always appearing fully clad in armour and helm and refusing to take any of it off. This armour was defined as having been made by Linza in the third episode of the Above the Lore podcast. The Raptor has been confirmed male by the game guide following the site's update.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Very little is known about The Raptor, even amongst the other Signature Heroes. He places great worth in combat prowess, often embarking on expeditions purely for the chance to fight stronger monsters, considering treasure and glory to be worthless. He has great respect for those willing and capable of facing strong opponents, including the Pest Queen, the Mahjarrat Lucien, and himself. However, he does not consider all strong monsters to be worthy of respect - slaying powerful dragons like Elvarg or demons like Nezikchened are unimpressive feats to him. His solution to any problem he encounters is to simply kill whatever is causing it, and dislikes any solution that is not combat-related. He is rather arrogant, believing himself to be unstoppable and capable of surviving feats that nobody should survive. His stubborn refusal to consider being a Slayer master causes Kuradal to remark that she hopes others do not end up like him.
The Raptor can often be found facing strong monsters such as lesser and greater demons and brutal green dragons. He rarely stays for long before moving onto the next foe. He appears to get bored easily, as during his brief tenure as a Slayer Master he could only stay in one location for a week before moving onto stronger foes. After a month, he abandoned his role as Slayer Master, stating that it was not what he expected and that he dislikes standing around doing nothing when there are challenging foes to hunt down.
The Raptor has a reputation as a fierce warrior, being feared and respected by many. However, he appears to have little value for life.
Capabilities[edit | edit source]
The Raptor is a strong warrior, capable of dealing 10,000 life points worth of damage to a brutal green dragon with his unique mace. He also has strong defensive capabilities, utilising his giant shield to withstand the fiery breath of the Queen Black Dragon and covering his comrades during troll attacks. He is a powerful slayer, being able to kill Acheron mammoths, Camel Warriors, Ripper Demons and wyverns. Kuradal, one of the most powerful Slayer Masters around, is in awe of him, initially refusing to give him a task as she should be his student, rather than the other way round.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Very little is known about the Raptor's life. His abilities in combat earned him a reputation as a fierce warrior. At one point, he allied himself with Ariane and Ozan to track down an artefact, only joining them to fight the demons guarding it. One of the workers at the Blue Moon Inn in Varrock saw the trio as they were resting and went to get his friends Jonty and Kherian, who was a huge admirer of the Raptor. When they made to leave the city, Kherian threw a snowball at the Raptor in a bid to catch his attention. He angrily demanded to know who the culprit was and ignored Ozan's attempts to peacefully leave. Kherian came up to him, extremely nervous. He demanded to know why Kherian had done so, and when the boy quoted him he left, satisfied.
Dragon Slaying[edit | edit source]
In year 169 of the Fifth Age, the Raptor heard of a strange affliction in the town of Rimmington. He met with Lucille, but his presence intimidated her into giving him a restless sleep potion to find the culprit. Another adventurer soon arrived, and Lucille gave them the potion to make sure the Raptor would not do anything rash. The Raptor was met by the adventurer, who warned them not to get in his way as he tried to find the witch.
As he followed the voice and the men's souls, they arrived at a large chasm, which he jumped into. He was swallowed by the Queen Black Dragon alongside the adventurer, but the two were separated. The Raptor easily fought his way through the beast's stomach, before finding the adventurer with the so-called "witch", Remora. The adventurer persuaded him not to kill her, as they would have no other way out. He begrudgingly spared Remora, but warned her not to try anything funny.
Remora instructed the adventurer to grab her crossbow to burst the cyst she was in, causing the Queen Black Dragon to spit the three out. Seeing that her dream was disturbed, she proceeded to unleash a barrage of dragonfire on the trio. The Raptor's shield easily guarded all three. Remora attempted to grab her necklace so they could teleport out, but was scorched to death. The adventurer grabbed her necklace and used it to teleport themselves and the Raptor away.
The Raptor proceeded to give the adventurer Remora's crossbow and some ammunition, claiming that he had no use for her weapon. He then showed excitement over killing the dragon, even if it would take him substantial time to do so.
Slayer Master[edit | edit source]
During the month of November in 2015, The Raptor acted as a unique slayer master who gave separate assignments from a smaller list of potential monsters. He only gave one assignment per day. His assignments gave two times the normal amount of slayer experience per kill. He also had his own gem with which he could be contacted, similar to an enchanted gem.
The Raptor's appearance as a slayer master coincided with the release of four new slayer monsters throughout the month, with one released every week. Following each monster's release, it was possible that they would be received as one of the Raptor's assignments, with special rewards available through drops from the new monster.
In the first week of the month, following the release of the wyverns, he could be found south of the Port Sarim Jail. While he was there a body of a dead wyvern could be found near him and his chest. During his stay near the entrance to the Ripper Demon cave, the body of a Ripper Demon was added on top of the wyvern. During his stay outside the walls of Sophanem, the body of a Camel Warrior was added on top of his current pile of corpses. During his stay outside Rellekka, the body of an Acheron mammoth was added on top of the current pile, squishing everything else underneath it due to its massive weight.
After a while, the Raptor, disgusted by how a slayer master operates by simply telling people to kill whatever they asked and how these new opponents were terribly weak, stopped his challenges. He decided to look for even more challenging opponents but left his chest, the Raptor's chest of slaying, in Burthorpe for anyone who managed to complete his key. Soon afterwards, the chest was moved to War's Retreat.
Defending Gielinor[edit | edit source]
The Raptor eventually heard of the battle taking place in the buried city of Senntisten and made his way there, as it would be place for him to find strong foes. The glacors were able to push further towards the cathedral by the time he arrived. He was locked in battle with a glacor.
After the battle was over, the Raptor left the area.
An Experiment[edit | edit source]
Sometime after the Elder God crisis was over, the Raptor was invited by War to his retreat to help out in a special event as a guest of honour, which he gladly accepted. For the duration of the event, the Raptor would give passing adventurers a blessing that would increase the chances of them getting special rewards from powerful opponents once a day.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Raptor can be found in various places around Gielinor, but mainly in combat-related areas.
Fixed[edit | edit source]
The Raptor can always be found standing on the first floor of the Legends' Guild.
The Raptor can be found fighting Troll chuckers in the Burthorpe troll cave.
Roaming[edit | edit source]
The Raptor will frequently appear in these places for a while (around 3-4 minutes), then teleport away.
- Inside the Warriors' Guild in Burthorpe.
- Killing chaos dwarf hand cannoneers, and chaos dwarves at the Chaos Dwarf Battlefield.
- Killing lesser demons outside the resource dungeon inside the Karamja Volcano.
- Killing Khazard troopers at the Khazard Battlefield.
- Near Daemonheim.
- Killing brutal green dragons in the Ancient Caverns.
- Killing lesser demons and sometimes greater demons in the Wilderness Crater.
- Standing outside of East Ardougne's castle.
- Standing inside the Stealing Creation lobby.
- In Daemonheim near the rewards trader.
Special[edit | edit source]
- Inside the Gamers' Grotto talking to the Head mystic. The Raptor refuses to take off any armour in order to play Stealing Creation, and then teleports away.
- Standing next to Kuradal. When speaking to him he demands a task from her, and after she argues that he could be a slayer master himself (but he wants to fight, not stand around all day) and that he should be teaching her, she assigns him 5,000 Dagannoths. After he teleports away, Kuradal will tell the player that she hopes they never become like that.
- For one month (November 2015), The Raptor became a special "slayer master", appearing in Port Sarim, Al Kharid, Sophanem and near Rellekka each week.
Cinematic trailer[edit | edit source]
The Raptor appears in the RuneScape cinematic trailer that can be watched here. Along with Sir Owen, Ozan and Ariane, The Raptor fights against a gigantic troll, and narrowly saves Ozan from the brute's axe.
Player-owned farm[edit | edit source]
The Raptor occasionally appears at the Manor Farm, as Raptor (dragon expert). He may be sold dragons in exchange for beans. As a large-sized animal buyer, he will appear or renew his order for dragons every three days and purchase up to 6 animals before leaving, unless the player is at least 'Senior Master Farmer' rank in the farming reputation system; then he will buy up to 12.
Positive traits give more beans, negative traits give fewer beans, specific traits that the buyer wants give significantly more beans.
|Base beans per growth stage|
|Stage||% of beans||Sell price|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
- After Dragon Slayer, he comments that Elvarg is just a dragon and that he isn't impressed.
- After Nomad's Requiem, he comments about the player killing Nomad, and reckons the player could be as good as himself.
- After While Guthix Sleeps, he comments on the player's skill in defeating the Balance Elemental and considers going after Lucien himself.
- After Within the Light, he comments on the player finding their way into Prifddinas, but has no desire of his own to help the elves.
- After Dream Mentor, he comments on the player killing The Inadequacy and states that it was just an imaginary monster.
- After Legends' Quest, he comments that Nezikchened is just a demon and that he isn't impressed.
- After The Void Stares Back, he comments on the player killing the Pest Queen and expresses his regret on not being at the fight.
- After Ritual of the Mahjarrat, he comments on the player defeating the Balance Elemental and helping to sort out Lucien. He then comments about the player not going after the Dragonkin.
- Throughout the Gielinor Games, he has many lines.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Raptor artwork by Mod DBarker.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 9 January 2023 (Update):
- Added to War's Retreat with The Raptor's Rampage.
- patch 31 October 2022 (Update):
- Ariane, Linza, Owen, Ozan, Raptor and Xenia will now acknowledge the accomplishments of anyone who has completed the quests they are associated with.
27 September 2021 (
- The Raptor was added to the Glacor Front and fights a non-attackable glacor.
- patch 9 November 2015 (Update):
- Black demons have been added to the Raptor's list of slayer targets for players with 120+ Combat.
- patch 24 June 2013 (Update):
- The Raptor will no longer die to so-called "Brutal" green dragons.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- The Raptor has been adjusted to make him effective post-Evolution of Combat.
- patch 13 November 2012 (Update):
- patch 4 January 2012 (Update):
- The Raptor no longer teleports into the large sword in the middle of the Wilderness.
- patch 6 September 2011 (Update):
- The Raptor no longer tries to steal players' targets when fighting in single-combat areas.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If one tries talking to the Raptor before they have defeated any "worthy opponents", he will completely ignore them.
- The Raptor had about 1000 life points before they were increased, as for a small time he could be slain by the brutal green dragons due to an update which buffed their strength.
- The Raptor is voiced by Rob Rackstraw. The Raptor has the same voice actor as Bandos.[source needed]
- The Raptor would retaliate if attacked with a mindspike during the course of its glitch.
- When you talk to the Raptor for the first time as a slayer master, he says "You, come here. I'm your slayer master now." which is a reference to the 2013 film Captain Philips.
- His armour can be found in Zemouregal's treasure room in New Varrock. The armour's examine text and his head being missing from Zemouregal's bedroom wall collection suggests the Raptor was the only Signature Hero to survive Zemouregal's attack.
- His player-owned farm version's examine text is a reference to the film How To Train Your Dragon.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Above the Lore - episode 3: Ozan, Owen and Ariane - The Signature Heroes Mods Osborne and John A : "Mod Osborne - I think our intention is that thematically, [Linza] kind of outfits all the characters. Mod John A - She does, yes. I think she made the Raptor's armour, for example." Above the Lore podcast, 30 May 2013.
- ^ a b c d Jagex. "Worth Comes in Battle." "Worth Comes in Battle."] RuneScape Lores and Histories. *
- ^ Lucille, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "His solution to a problem is to destroy everything linked to it."
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "Only thing left to do is to kill HER."
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "Killing her is the only way to stop this happening again."
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "Grr. Fine. You get us out of here, and I'll let you live a bit longer. But I'll be keeping an eye on you."
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "Try to stop me and you die."
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "I guess this is the end of the line. No one could make that jump and survive. It would be foolish to even try. Heh." The Raptor jumps into the chasm after saying this.
- ^ Lucille, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "I'm not afraid to say that I fear the Raptor"
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "Heh. It's too late to save Waylan."
- ^ The Raptor, "Song from the Depths", RuneScape. "For the best. Power like that can be too dangerous." When asked about Remora's death.
|Final subquest of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor|
|Lores and Histories|