The Shade is a monster located at the entrance to the last level of the Stronghold of Security.
Shades may be assigned as a Slayer task by Mazchna. In addition to 'Shades' themselves, Loar Shades, Phrin Shades, Riyl Shade, Asyn shades, and Fiyr Shades, which can be found in Mort'ton or the nearby Shade Catacombs can also be slain to fulfil the task. To access the shade catacombs, players must have completed the Shades of Mort'ton quest.
Additional damage can be done to shades through the use of Salve amulets or the Gadderhammer weapon.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
Random event (discontinued)[edit | edit source]
When a player buried bones, they had a possibility of angering an aggressive Shade appearing and attacking them. Shades were transparent in appearance and looked somewhat like a ghost. As with similar guardian random events, the combat level of a shade varied according to the combat level of the player unfortunate enough to run into one. When slain, the shade usually dropped nothing, but sometimes it would drop an assortment of bones, and on rare occasions, shade robes. Originally, shades were able to close or open a door without standing beside it, which was unique among all free monsters, but this feature was removed.
- Guardian of the Realm ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from Slayer monsters located within Asgarnia & Misthalin.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 22 November 2012 (Update):
- Attacking Shades now gives the correct amount of XP and hit harder.
- Before Evolution of Combat, it was not very wise to train on shades, because no matter how much damage you inflicted on them, you only received a quarter of the normal experience per hit and only 5% normal slayer experience.
- These were the fourth highest level free-to-play monsters, being tied with Cockroach soldiers. Many higher level monsters have since been made f2p, and now there are at least 30 different f2p monsters with a higher level.
- Although Shades are transparent, Shade robes are not.
- Shades have the old idle and walking animations that were used on players before RuneScape HD.
- Shades' attack animation is that of slashing a sword, as is their blocking animation. However, they hold no sword at all.