A cow-powered mill
Cows are a bovine monster that is often killed for their hide, and new players may find useful to train on. They are one of the first monsters new players can encounter around Burthorpe. Cows in the Burthorpe field will grant 7 experience while the regular cows located everywhere else grant 35 experience when killed in combat. Along with cows, players can also find cow calves and non-attackable dairy cows.
In the cow field located north-east of Lumbridge Castle or the field in Taverley, players can easily make money. At current Grand Exchange rates, players can make 1,754 coins per cow, providing that they sell the Raw Beef, Cowhide, and Bones from a cow, so they would make 15,786 coins per inventory from all drops.
When a cow dies, it drops raw beef (which gives Cooking experience when cooked), a cowhide (which players can turn into leather items for Crafting experience) and bones (which players can bury for Prayer experience), and rarely anything else.
Zanaris, the moon of Gielinor, is the only place with talking cows. The cows of Zanaris seem to dislike the sheep as well as other players, and are apparently unaware of their ability to talk. There is also a windmill that is powered by a cow in lieu of the wind, which technically makes it a "cowmill". Also, when walking around or being attacked, the cow will often say "Moo" as if it had been typed by a player. A cow is also one of the possible NPCs players can talk to using the NPC Contact spell.
When killing cows, an elite version may spawn (guaranteed while on a Slayer assignment), which can be further increased with the use of fellstalk incense sticks.
|Nothing|1 1 1 1
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 69,963 kills.|
1 item is dropped at a time.
- ^ a b Only drops commonly if not already owned.
- ^ a b Not dropped by the cows on Astram Farm.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- We've slightly increased the death animation of cows so that they now fade out once dying.
- update 2 September 2019 (Update):
- Cows have been graphically updated.
- 2 September 2019 (Update):
- Cows in Lumbridge no longer drop chargebows and staves of air.
- 2 September 2019 (Update):
- Cows with the examine text of "Beefy." have had it changed to "You're sure you've seen herbivore."
- patch 6 May 2014 (Update):
- The cow in the Ashdale cow wheel had a coloured polygon on its rear end fixed.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- The cow models around the game have been updated to be of the same standard as the cows seen in the Ashdale tutorial.
- patch 16 April 2013 (Update):
- Cows are no longer a lower level than their calves.
- patch 25 May 2011 (Update):
- Cows no longer lean bizarrely when on a slope.
- patch 11 January 2010 (Update):
- Cows have been given lessons so they can moo properly.
- patch 20 October 2009 (Update):
- Unicorns and cows tilted excessively on slopes.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- Cows and calves have a death animation once more.
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- Combat sounds updated for broodoo victims and cows.
- When the cow says "Moo", the sound of a moo can usually be heard from the speakers.
- If you attempt to talk to a cow in Zanaris, it will prompt the message: "Hmm, interesting, there appears to be a human trying to talk to me. Is it aware that cows can't talk I wonder? Maybe if I just ignore it, it might go away."
- If you use an item on a cow or calf a message will appear saying "The cow doesn't want that."
- There is a signpost outside of the Lumbridge cow pen that says the number of cows killed in the world the player is in.
- On 28 August 2018, cows outside of Zanaris were temporarily replaced with strawberry, vanilla and chocolate cows as a teaser for the upcoming Player-owned farm update. The standard cows returned to their spots when the player-owned farm was released on 3 September 2018.
- Some cows previously had the examine text of "Beefy."
- Since the release of the Master slayer cape, it has been bugged in that you are unable to use this to force a cow slayer task on a member world. Instead, you must go to a F2P world to force pick a cow task.