|Also called||Lost City, Fairy City, the Moon|
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Points of interest|
|No. of banks||1|
|No. of altars||0|
|No. of small obelisks||1|
|Leader||• Fairy Queen|
• Fairy Godfather
|Inhabitants||Fairies, Tanglefeet, Gatekeepers, Orks (possibly), chickens, cows, sheep|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Kingdom of Zanaris is Gielinor's moon. It is a strange plane, rumoured to be the nexus of all planes. It is inhabited by small winged creatures known as fairies, and according to the Guthixian Memories, it was in Zanaris where Guthix saw Gielinor for the first time. The normal laws of physics and logic do not apply on Zanaris; for instance, animals can be spoken to without the need of translation amulets, and plants require no nutrients or sunlight to grow and emit a faint glow. Being described as an 'intersection of worlds', Zanaris is the epicentre whence the weather and seasons of Gielinor are governed by the fairies.
According to the co-ordinator, Zanaris is 'an extremely old place, it was here long before we fairyfolk came to live here' with many dormant magical properties, such as those of 'the ability to jump between planes using a powerful portal' that had been sealed for centuries, but the Fairy Queen harnessed the magic and used it to create the network of fairy rings, though not as powerful as the portal, the World Gate, would have been. This property of being a nexus of planes places it under threat from other realms. In year 169 of the Fifth Age, it was invaded by orks from Ork's Rift but not without help of the malicious Fairy Mafia. Conversely, Zanaris is famous for its market, where various items from other worlds are sold, an example being a selection of dragon weapons from Freneskae supplied by the Consortium of Extra-Planar Merchandise Transferral Specialists.
- 1 Getting there
- 2 Quests
- 3 Notable features
- 4 Monsters
- 5 Residents
- 6 Graphical update
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Music unlocked
- 9 Update history
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Zanaris random events gallery
- 12 References
Getting there[edit | edit source]
The quest Lost City is required for any and all methods of accessing Zanaris.
- Max guild portal tuned to the Zanaris fairy ring
- Grace of the elves teleport, with a tuned Max Guild portal
- Enter any fairy ring, or the hut in Lumbridge Swamp, after partial completion of A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen. A Dramen staff, lunar staff, or completion of A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift is needed.
- Wicked hood teleport to the Cosmic Altar
- Cosmic altar teleport tab.
Quests[edit | edit source]
Notable features[edit | edit source]
Sometimes players will turn into chickens or pigs. A frog will appear and have a small conversation with the player, a Zanaris choir will appear and comment on whatever the player is doing (e.g. when the player is fighting, the Zanaris choir will ask why you resort to violence so often), players will dance and they say, "All of a sudden I have an overwhelming urge to dance!", or a thunder cloud will appear above the player. All of these examples are involuntary and only occur in Zanaris.
Healer[edit | edit source]
North of the bank is a fairy healer, named Fairy Nuff (a pun on "Fair enough"). She will heal you if you give her gemstones. The rarer the stone the more she will heal you. She will not heal you when she is in the Fairy Resistance Hideout or after A Fairy Tale III quest
Fairy rings[edit | edit source]
The main fairy ring is located south of the water fountains, and west of the farm field. Entering any other fairy ring in RuneScape brings a player here. Activating the ring while carrying a Dramen staff or lunar staff will open a combination window to enter a code to go to other fairy rings elsewhere in RuneScape.
The other two original fairy rings in Zanaris are exit rings only:
- There is a fairy ring in the market area that leads to just behind Al Kharid bank;
- The northern fairy ring leads back to Lumbridge Swamps.
Bank[edit | edit source]
There is a bank in Zanaris, just north of the general store.
General Store[edit | edit source]
Market area[edit | edit source]
Finally, the exit from the market is to the northeast of the market area; there is a fairy ring that leads to behind Al Kharid's bank.
Cosmic altar[edit | edit source]
The Cosmic Altar lies to the south of Zanaris. There are two Agility shortcuts that allow faster access, one requiring 46 agility for the medium shortcut, and 66 agility for the advanced shortcut.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Near the wheat field inside the city are several talking cows that are reasonably close to the bank. These may be useful for Crafting. South-west of the field are three talking sheep. They can be sheared by right-clicking on them and selecting 'Shear Sheep', producing wool.
There is also a sandpit, which is used in glassblowing. If players have Seaweed, there is a Range to the south and a furnace to the north that may be useful for making molten glass at the same time as collecting sand.
Cooking[edit | edit source]
There is a grain field and a nearby windmill, so flour is easy to make here. There are also several fountains for collection of water, though these are by no means the closest water sources to a bank in the game. There is also a cooking range to the south of the bank, near which a chocolate bar can be found.
Among the cows near the wheat field is a dairy cow, and in the mill there is a dairy churn. Combine that with the bucket spawn near the mill and the nearby bank, and all the requirements for making butter, cream and cheese are present.
Slaying[edit | edit source]
Chaeldar is the fifth hardest Slayer master, and requires a minimum combat level of 75 to begin assigning tasks to players. She gives out a lot of metal dragons, but otherwise her tasks can be very rewarding.
Evil Chicken's Lair[edit | edit source]
By 'sacrificing' a raw chicken at the shrine of the Evil Chicken near the original entrance from Lumbridge Swamp's shed, players are transported to the Evil Chicken's Lair. The lair houses 4 black dragons and a baby black dragon, as well as the Evil Chicken itself.
Impetuous Impulses[edit | edit source]
Impetuous Impulses is a minigame in which players catch implings in the realm of Puro-Puro, which can be accessed via the crop circle in the centre of the wheat field. A Wandering impling flitters about nearby to provide a brief introduction to the minigame.
Other features[edit | edit source]
- There is a yew tree to the north-west of the wheat field.
- There is a furnace with a the nearby sandpit, useful for glass-making.
- Near the Cosmic altar in the Shady grove you can gain access to Tanglefoot creatures seen in the A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains quest, as well as Mutated zygomites.
- Various monsters and NPCs may follow players to Zanaris when they are using the fairy rings.
- Sparse Plane, doesn't appear on the map of Zanaris, but is part of it. It can be accessed with fairy rings.
- Fairy Resistance Hideout, doesn't appear on the map of Zanaris, but is part of it. It can be accessed with fairy rings.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Residents[edit | edit source]
- Fairy Queen - The benevolent ruler of Zanaris
- Fairy Godfather - An evil fairy wishing possession of the Fairy Realm
- Slim Louie - A henchman of the Fairy Godfather
- Fat Rocco - A henchman of the Fairy Godfather
- Fairy Nuff - A fairy nurse
- Co-Ordinator - Helps in sending the proper fairies on their way
- Fairy Fixit - The repairman and creator of the fairy rings
- Fairy chef - self-explanatory
- Gate Keeper - A tree-like figure that guards the gates to and from the marketplace
- Jukat - shopkeeper
- Irksol -shopkeeper
- Lunderwin -shopkeeper
- Chaeldar - Slayer master in Zanaris
- Blaec - Owner of a sandpit
- Zanaris choir - Appears and talks to you occasionally
- Zanaris Frog - Appears and say random things
- Wandering impling - Introduces players to the Impetuous Impulses minigame.
Graphical update[edit | edit source]
Zanaris has had three major graphical updates. The realm was first updated in 2006; before this, it was a simply a cave underground. It was then updated to have a bluish appearance. On 13 May 2010, Zanaris was upgraded to its current appearance.
The fairies were also graphically updated along with the Zanaris improvement on 13 May.
A short clip of Zanaris could be seen in the Mod Fetzki: iCould video at approximately 00:43 seconds in before May the thirteenth.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Zanaris as seen from the island Ashdale at night.
Zanaris illuminating the sky at Paterdomus.
Zanaris eclipsing the sun before Sliske's Endgame.
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 1 April 2019 (Update):
- Some of the more random events that occur while in Zanaris have been removed.
- ninja 9 July 2018 (Update):
- Skyboxes and outer mappings have been added to Zanaris and the Enchanted Valley.
- patch 2 April 2013 (Update):
- It should no longer be possible to move the camera into the Zanaris trees.
- patch 2 April 2012 (Update):
- A map square in Zanaris has had the correct bloom values reassigned to it.
- patch 5 July 2011 (Update):
- A chameleon in Zanaris now more closely matches the colour scheme used in Zanaris.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- None of the trees in Zanaris have been graphically updated.
- When talking to the cows, the dialogue box does not use the graphical update. The animations are still choppy and pixelated.
- If a player attempts to talk to one of the Zanaris frogs, they will get the text "Nothing interesting happens". This is probably an oversight on Jagex's behalf, as they probably used the code from the frog random event, where the frogs could be talked to. This frog simply does not have anything programmed for it to say, so it goes to the default error trap: "Nothing interesting happens".
- According to Sliske during Missing, Presumed Death, Zanaris would soon cause a total eclipse on Gielinor. The eclipse takes place during Sliske's Endgame.
Zanaris random events gallery[edit | edit source]
Storm Cloud 'random' event
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Co-ordinator, "A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen", RuneScape. "Zanaris is an extremely old place, it was here long before we fairyfolk came to live here. In fact it is rumoured to be the nexus of all planes."
- ^ Knowledge Base - The Races of RuneScape.*
- ^ Fairy (echo), "Memorial to Guthix", RuneScape. "This brings us to the moon of Zanaris, its dark magical forests, giant fungi and, as I discovered on a return visit, a network of fairy rings they had made from the World Gate I'd placed there."
|Part 1 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Part 2 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Part 3 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Part 4 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Realms and worlds|