A Non-player character, or NPC, is a character not controlled by a player. Players can usually talk to NPCs, but they are not attackable. (If they are attackable, they are considered monsters.) They include store owners, quest contacts, bankers and civilians. NPCs can give out quests, sell items, restrict access to certain areas and perform other vital duties. Many have no useful function, but provide atmosphere or interesting conversation. Some can talk in public, but this will not appear in the chat list. NPCs names have a yellow colour.
NPCs form the foundations for quests: beginning them, continuing the story, giving information and handing out rewards and items.
History[edit | edit source]
RuneScape Classic NPCs could only talk to one player at a time. Some players took advantage of this and talked to NPCs and did not respond, thereby preventing access to the shops. In RuneScape Classic, players who stood in the same spot for five minutes would automatically be logged out, but this rule didn't apply when players were talking to NPCs. Some players also did this with new quests too. Jagex changed the system so that if a player doesn't respond to an NPC when others are waiting the conversation would automatically end.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 December 2019 (Update):
- NPCs that have the default option as attack now display the NPC name in the mouseover tooltip.
- patch 10 October 2016 (Update):
- NPCs that scale to your level will now award combat and item experience.
- patch 29 June 2015 (Update):
- The maximum size of tooltips on NPCs has been altered, to allow the display of multiple icons after their name.
- patch 10 November 2014 (Update):
- Players will no longer see NPCs as 'npc name' in the target interface.
- ninja 1 November 2014 (Update):
- NPCs that use ranged attacks throughout the game will now use their bow in the correct hand.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If a player blocks the path of an NPC for too long, the NPC will reset to its "respawn" location. This is especially noticeable with penguin spies in the Penguin Hide and Seek distraction and diversion or Hans near the Lumbridge Castle.
- Most non-player characters have a small shadow, while player characters have a bigger one.
- Technically, anything with a yellow name is an NPC. However, usually only those that represent actual characters rather than things like fishing spots are referred to as such.
- If a space is occupied by a player or an NPC, another player may walk through them without their path being blocked. But an NPC cannot walk onto or over a space occupied by a player or another NPC.
- The first NPC Jagex created was Hans.
- With lag, NPCs have the ability to run for a short time.
- There was a glitch where you could kill every NPC with the mindspike's special attack. This was fixed on 10 February 2012.
- Most NPCs have 1 life point and are weak to crush, despite being unattackable.
- Unlike players, NPCs and monsters that speak with overhead dialogue can have words that are entirely capitalised.