|Release date||9 August 2004 (Update)|
|Points of interest|
|Guilds||• Warriors' Guild|
• Heroes' Guild
|No. of banks||3|
|No. of altars||2|
|No. of small obelisks||2|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Burthorpe is a military principality north-west of Falador and north of Taverley and is currently the base of the Burthorpe Imperial Guard as well as the residence of Prince Anlaf. Burthorpe and Taverley are two of the only locations in Asgarnia that aren't controlled by the White knights. The Imperial Guard keep Burthorpe secure, and they are loyal to the royal line of Asgarnia, especially Crown Prince Anlaf. They are charged with maintaining and defending the wall which separates Burthorpe from the Troll Country.
The Troll Country is immediately north of Burthorpe, and due to that, the city has come under constant attacks, raids, and invasions by the Trolls, having led to the Burthorpe - Troll Country War. Death Plateau in particular seems a threat, as many heavily armed trolls have a permanent camp there. The Imperial Guard, with help of adventurers, has been taking measures to reduce this threat. Trolls are often seen invading the town, slaughtering families and soldiers alike. If the trolls were to overrun Burthorpe, Falador will use it as a reason to disband the Imperial Guard and the town would come under control of the White Knights. Commander Denulth considers the White Knights to be taking advantage of King Vallance, who he describes as "old and weak".
Burthorpe also borders the Wilderness, although the two are separated by the Forinthry Cliffs. Nevertheless, the town hosts a beacon in the Beacon Network. Adventurers are occasionally seen testing the beacons as part of the All Fired Up minigame.
Burthorpe, along with the neighbouring town of Taverley, features several skill tutors providing basic explanation and advice on various skills to new players.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
All players[edit | edit source]
- Teleport directly to the Burthorpe lodestone.
- Teleport to the Taverley lodestone or use the House Teleport spell to the Taverley POH portal (if the player has a house there) and walk north.
- Teleport to the Troll Invasion Distraction and Diversion by using the games necklace.
Members only[edit | edit source]
- Teleport just outside the Warriors' Guild by using the combat bracelet.
- Players with 99 Slayer can use the Slayer cape perk to teleport to Turael (or Spria, after While Guthix Sleeps), who stands directly north of the Burthorpe bank near the Warriors' Guild.
Notable features[edit | edit source]
- Burthorpe is the home to the Burthorpe Imperial Guard.
- Burthorpe Castle is home to the Burthorpe Games Room.
- Burthorpe features a furnace along with anvils south of the bank; this is the closest furnace to a bank for non-members if accessed from its rear-facing side (closer than Al Kharid).
- Burthorpe is also home to the Warriors' Guild, which houses a large combination of melee-based activities. Players' Attack and Strength levels must add up to a total of 130 or level 99 in Attack or Strength in order to enter.
- Just to the south of Burthorpe is the Heroes' Guild.
- Burthorpe is also the respawn point of Bob the Jagex Cat, as his pet human is Unferth.
- Dunstan runs a smithing shop in the northeast end of town.
- The Troll Invasion Distraction and Diversion can be found north of the Warriors' Guild, which can be started by speaking to Captain Jute.
- Burthorpe is home to a low level agility course.
- Xuan runs the Loyalty Programme Shop in eastern Burthorpe, south-east of the Burthorpe lodestone.
- There is a small gnome tree next to the Warriors' Guild, where a bank, the Gnome Shopkeeper's Armoury and Challenge Mistress Fara can be found.
- A small mine with copper, tin and clay can be found, as well as a potters wheel and kiln nearby.
- There is an altar inside of the chapel run by Chaplain Sarah
- Commander Denulth can be found in the training camp East of the Burthrope Castle, being the start point of Death Plateau and Troll Stronghold.
Quests[edit | edit source]
The following quests may be started in Burthorpe:
- Death Plateau
- Troll Stronghold by speaking to Denulth, in his the training cap east of the castle.
- A Tail of Two Cats by speaking to Unferth, in his house due east of the castle.
- Heroes' Quest by speaking to Achietties, in the Heroes' Guild
Shops[edit | edit source]
Carwen Essencebinder Magical Runes Shop[edit | edit source]
Happy Heroes' H'emporium[edit | edit source]
Helemos is delighted to run the Happy Heroes' H'empoirium, being the only shop to sell a Dragon battleaxe, Off-hand dragon battleaxe, Dragon mace, and an Off-hand dragon mace. The requirement to access the shop is completion of the Heroes' Quest as it is on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Heroes' Guild.
Gaius's Two-Handed Shop[edit | edit source]
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Civilian[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):.
- Transitions between the "What is your experience with RuneScape?" prompt, Tutorial Island, and Burthorpe arrival have been improved to better mask the toplevel interface.
- The Burthorpe area logo has been added to the Burthorpe arrival cutscene to better illustrate the meaning of the "Burthorpe" overlay text.
- Achievement and path system popups/messaging/fireworks for completing Tutorial Island no longer occur when transitioning to Burthorpe for the first time.
- Drilling soldiers from the Burthorpe Imperial Guard camp are now dormant when there are no players nearby for better processing efficiency.
- Cooking crayfish during the Burthorpe First Time User Experience now describes the act with a similar level of mechanical detail as cooking shrimp on Tutorial Island.
- White Wolf Mountain is no longer classified as part of Burthorpe, so that a new player can be appropriately warned they are leaving the starting zone before encountering dangerous wolves.
- New players on the Burthorpe First Time User Experience that leave the Burthorpe & Taverley area are now informed of the lodestone network, so they know how to return to a safe hub.
- hotfix 2 March 2020 (Update):.
- Unblocked the path between Burthorpe's military training camp and the nearby All Fired Up beacon.
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Ozan in the Burthorpe troll cave no longer uses the Shadow Ozan bow model.
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- Added a mini/worldmap icon to the kebbit hunter area west of Burthorpe.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- By player request, a pair of patrolling Burthorpe guards have been added to the Burthorpe main street.
- patch 23 September 2019 (Update):
- Rabbits in Burthorpe no longer drop bones (so that the Prayer path is not unlocked during the first Burthorpe path; earlier than new players are introduced to the concept of choosing paths).
- Burthorpe clan flag stands now do something interesting, as opposed to nothing interesting.
- Corrected a tree canopy near the Hunter tutor south of Burthorpe which wasn't removed when the tree was chopped down.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- patch 9 September 2019 (Update):
- Removed a cart in Burthorpe which had undesirable interaction.
- Added a one-time teleport of players who logged out in the upper level of moved Burthorpe buildings to the Burthorpe lodestone.
- update 2 September 2019 (Update):
- Burthorpe and Taverley are being made into more distinct places, and both have undergone a thorough spring cleaning to reduce visual clutter and make them less overwhelming for new players.
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- Reverting music mode in Burthorpe will now play an appropriate track for the location.
- patch 16 January 2017 (Update):
- Players can no longer repair the beacon climbing pegs in Burthorpe from within a nearby shop.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Clan vexillums placed in the stands at the Clan Camp and Burthorpe will persist for 30 minutes unattended to advertise your clan while you play elsewhere.
- The large clan flag in Burthorpe now cycles through the colours of the clans represented on the surrounding vexillum stands. You can see an overview of the clans represented by checking this flag.
- patch 18 January 2016 (Update):
- The large clan flag in Burthorpe now cycles through the colours of the clans represented on the surrounding vexillum stands. Players can see an overview of the clans represented by checking this flag.
- ninja 3 August 2015 (Update):
- Clan vexillums placed in the stands at the Clan camp and Burthorpe will persist for 30 minutes unattended to advertise a clan while the owner is elsewhere.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Several camera issues previously experienced when climbing up to the Burthorpe beacon have now been fixed.
The Jungle Hunt music track will no longer unlock in the wrong location.
- patch 15 September 2014 (Update):
- Some floating environment has been removed from the Burthorpe mines.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- Several pieces of redundant content around the Burthorpe / Taverley area which was previously used in an old tutorial have been removed.
- patch 3 March 2014 (Update):
- update 4 March 2013 (Update):
- Burthorpe and Taverley have been opened up to free players, along with four related quests: Death Plateau, Druidic Ritual, Let Them Eat Pie, and Wolf Whistle.
- update 31 January 2012 (Update):
- This week sees the conversion of Burthorpe and Taverley into the Troll Warzone – a massive area rework designed to drop new members right into the thick of things.
- patch 14 June 2011 (Update):
- Some height mapping has been smoothed out near the Slayer master’s house in Burthorpe.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A lot of the civilians in Burthorpe are named after characters from the epic poem Beowulf.
- Burthorpe is tied with Varrock and Hemenster for having the most guilds of any city at two each.
- It is not certain what religion Burthorpe has, but, according to Betrayal at Falador, its leader, Prince Anlaf, is Guthixian. He does build a secret Zamorakian altar, but this is likely due to The Sybil's influence over him at the time.
- There is evidence for Saradominism, as a makeshift Saradominist church is found just south of the makeshift hospital. In addition, when saying goodbye to Commander Denulth he responds to the player with 'Saradomin be with you, friend'.
- Despite the Imperial Guard of Burthorpe being called Imperial, neither the Kingdom of Asgarnia nor the Principality of Burthorpe is an empire.
- Burthorpe and Taverley received a major overhaul on 31 January 2012. The towns were re-purposed to act as a tutorial area for new members. This update completely reshaped both towns.
- Prior to the update, Turael could be found in Burthorpe, and the entrance to the Rogues' Den was located beneath Burthorpe's now-removed pub.
- The Death Plateau quest used to include a coloured cannonball puzzle, but this was removed with the area and quest rework. Guards mention this in conversation.
- In the alternate timeline where the player doesn't exist, a zombified Katrine states Burthorpe was overrun by trolls.