|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Examine||• A delicate creature from this strange realm. • Looks strange and mysterious. (Zanaris market, by the fairy ring)|
|NPC ID||? (edit)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Fairies are a small race of winged humanoids that occupy the city Zanaris, along with the Mindslayers and Otherworldly beings. Although they resemble small humans, they are not too dissimilar from bugs, with their quick beating wings, antennae and wide eyes. They're also part mushroom. The fairies were created by Bik in an effort to create a perfect world.  They share a common ancestry with two other species encountered by Guthix elsewhere in the universe: a species of parasitic mushrooms, which attached themselves to the nervous system of other animals; and a species of teleporting insects whose migration had the ability to affect the climate. 
Suffused with anima, the fairies are embodiments of magic and intrinsically bound to the planet Gielinor. Their own wellbeing is tied to the planet, forcing them to regulate its weather and seasons for the sake of their own survival. However, they do so without complaint. They operate from Gielinor's moon, Zanaris, and are co-ordinated jobs by the Co-ordinator. There are Autumn Fairies,  Winter Fairies, and presumably also fairies for other seasons not mentioned by name.
The Fairies have lived in Zanaris for a long time, since before Guthix arrived, although their native homeworld is Cheanannais. They describe Zanaris as 'the nexus of all planes' by the Co-ordinator and Fairy Godfather. When the fairies arrived, they found Zanaris to be a place with many dormant magical properties, such as those of the ability to jump between planes using a powerful portal that had been sealed for centuries. The Fairy Queen harnessed the magic of this portal, and used it to create the network of fairy rings. The god of balance, Guthix, later travelled to Zanaris while searching for a world in the First Age, and upon finding Gielinor, he used Zanaris to bring peaceful races to Gielinor.
Fairies appear to live in the air and fly around frequently. They rely heavily on magic and delight in mischief. Fairies are mysterious to outsiders, who know little of their culture and history. Indeed, many of the other mortal races would happily deny the existence of this tiny race, as most believe fairies are imaginary creatures. They seem to have some relation to the pixie race. The fairies also seem to be a female-dominated race.
List of fairies[edit | edit source]
- Fairy Godfather, the ruler of Zanaris when the Fairy Queen is absent.
- Fairy Queen, rules Zanaris and the fairies.
- Co-ordinator, controls the weather of RuneScape.
- Fairy Fixit, a fairy that fixes various things.
- Chaeldar, fourth most-advanced slayer master in RuneScape.
- Fairy Aeryka, likes to fly above the wheat field.
- Fairy shopkeeper, owns the Zanaris general store.
- Fairy banker, assists you in the bank.
- Fairy chef, has some delicious chocolate bar in her kitchen.
- Jukat, selling Dragon weapons in the market area.
- Lunderwin, buying cabbages in the market area.
Quests[edit | edit source]
The fairies are involved with the following quests;
- Lost City
- A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains
- A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen
- A Fairy Tale III - Battle at Ork's Rift
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 17 February 2014 (Update):
- A spelling mistake in the dialogue for the fairies in Zanaris has been fixed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the Quest "A Fairy Tale Part II" players will encounter a fairy who has lost one of her arms, of which the examine info is "It's just a flesh wound." This refers to the black knight's famous quote in Monty Python's Holy Grail.
- Fairies seem to been similar to Pixies, and it has been hinted in the past that the two species may be connected.
- When Zanaris and its inhabitants were graphically updated on 13 May 2010, the Fairy shopkeeper, Jukat, Lunderwin, Irksol, and the fairy who guards the Al Kharid fairy ring retained their old graphics. These five were later graphically updated on 27 May 2010.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Fairy Queen, RuneScape. "It's sort of a cultural thing. You know fairies are part mushroom, right?"
- ^ Runfest 2017 Lore talk
- ^ a b Fairy (echo), written by Guthix, "Memorial to Guthix", RuneScape.
- ^ Co-ordinator, RuneScape. "I need to send an Autumn Fairy off to Burthorpe!"
- ^ Co-ordinator, RuneScape. "I need to find a Winter Fairy to send to Trollheim!"
- ^ "The World Wakes", RuneScape. Player: Are all fairies Guthixian? Chaeldar:Mostly, mostly. As with all, there are some who aren't.