Total level is the sum of the levels of all of a player's Skills. The current maximum for members is 2,898, and the maximum for free players is 1,770. Total level is a common way for players to compare their stats. The minimum experience to achieve a total level of 2,898 is 784,468,804.
The opening page on the Hiscores ranks players by their total level, then by experience. Other than when new skills have been recently released, the top ranked players in the hiscores are generally listed in order of experience rather than rank. The number one player won't have a higher level than the number two player, but will have more experience. The current minimum requirement to be ranked (at rank 2,000,000) on the hiscores for Overall is level 45.
Effects[edit | edit source]
Current[edit | edit source]
- Total level determines the chance to successfully defuse a Bomb (Pit of Trials), a hazard in the Beastmaster Durzag fight.
- Total level determines how many resource a player may claim from Divine locations per day.
- Total level determines the default minimum item value that triggers a Loot beam.
- Sufficiently high total level is required to access certain worlds.
- Total level affects the total experience and bonus experience given by a Advanced pulse cores and Cinder cores respectively.
- Total level determines the difficulty of the free sealed clue scroll given by Zaida.
- Total level affects the reward from:
Free-to-play[edit | edit source]
- A total of 150 is required for free players to use Friends chat.
- A total of 350 is required for free players to use the RuneScape Forums.
Ironman Mode[edit | edit source]
- Total level affects the rewards that Ironman mode players receive from the Premier Club Vault.
- A total level of 1,000 and 1,600 are required to unlock a Divine coin for purchase, which grant extra lives for Hardcore ironman.
- A total level of at least 1,000 is required for a Hardcore ironman's final death to generate a broadcast.
Past[edit | edit source]
- Players with a total level under 60 attempting to leave the Starting area were asked if they wished to continue.
- 100 total levels were one of the requirements to claim the Steam valve.
- 100 total levels were one of the requirements to edit the Jagex Runescape Wiki.
- 150 total levels were required to enter Balthazar's Big Raffle.
- Total level determined the difficulty of clue scroll given by Gilly Willikers.
- The Motherlode maw used to have a total level requirement to use.
- Total level determined the total experience given by Pulse cores.
- Total level affected the reward from:
- Total level affected the reward that Ironman mode players received from:
- Event mystery box (Winter Chill Off) and Big event mystery box (Winter Chill Off)
- Event mystery box (Summer Skill Off) and Big event mystery box (Summer Skill Off)
- Event mystery box (Breaking the Storm) and Big event mystery box (Breaking the Storm)
- Event mystery box (Master Crafting) and Big event mystery box (Master Crafting)
- Event mystery box (Mental Health Awareness Week) and Big event mystery box (Mental Health Awareness Week)
- Event mystery box (Rune Capers) and Big event mystery box (Rune Capers)
History[edit | edit source]
After the updates on 21 May 2008, players would be informed when their total levels reached important milestones. Free players who used to be members would still receive a message stating that they've reached the highest total level possible on free-to-play worlds when they reached a total level of 1614. When players receive this message there is also a short animation with 6 large fireworks shooting out from the player.
In RuneScape Classic, the maximum total level was 1,782 (1,395 for free players). The addition of Runecrafting (1,881), Slayer (1,980), Farming (2,079), Construction (2,178), Hunter (2,277), Summoning (2,376), Dungeoneering (2,496), Divination (2,595), Invention, (2,715), the extension of the Slayer skill to 120 levels increased this further to 2,736. When Herblore and Farming were raised to 120, the maximum total increased to 2,778, and the newly released Archaeology skill bringing the max total to 2,898.
On 9 November 2009, Jagex released two skill total worlds, one for free players and one for members. Only players with a total level of 1,000 or over may play on those servers. Jagex later added two additional skill total worlds for members, requiring a total level of over 2,000 and 2,400. On 3 March 2010, Jagex changed the minimum total level world for members from 1,000 to 1,500. The minimum total level requirement for the free total level world remained at 1,000 but was later removed by an update on 18 February 2013. On 10 April 2017, the total level world requiring 2,400 skill total was increased to 2,600.
First players to achieve landmark total levels[edit | edit source]
Members[edit | edit source]
|500 overall||January 2001||Lightning|
|600 overall||January 2001||Lightning|
|700 overall||February 2001||Lightning|
|800 overall||April 2001||Lightning|
|900 overall||June 2001||Mysticsmagic|
|1100 overall||February 2002||L6vi|
|1200 overall||March 2002||L6vi|
|1300 overall||April 2002||L6vi|
|1400 overall||June 2002||Tks|
|1500 overall||before February 2003||Tks|
|1600 overall||October 2003||Bonebreaker6|
|1980 overall||9 July 2005||Zezima|
|2079 overall||4 October 2005||Zezima|
|2178 overall||11 June 2006||N0valyfe|
|2277 overall||12 December 2006||thehate|
|2376 overall||12 February 2008||Kingduffy|
|2475 overall||7 May 2010||Skiller 703|
|2496 overall||22 August 2010||Telmomarques|
|2595 overall||29 August 2013||Im Choice|
|2694 overall||25 January 2016||Scuzzy|
|2715 overall||27 January 2016||Scuzzy|
|2898 overall||4 April 2020||le me|
Free-to-play[edit | edit source]
|1494 overall||28 January 2008||Syzygy|
|1593 overall||11 June 2010||S Diamant Y|
|1614 overall||9 October 2010||El Popo1|
|1750 overall||9 October 2017||Meneer Naab|
|1770 overall||30 March 2020||Naruto 1001|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of March 17, 2021, 17,087 players have achieved the maximum total level of 2,898 (as seen on the hiscores).