|Release date||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||• Animal Magnetism|
• While Guthix Sleeps
|Sells items||Slayer Equipment (Burthorpe)|
|Examine||He looks dangerous!|
|NPC ID||8273, 8302, 8303, 8461|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
Turael is the lowest level Slayer Master, along with his daughter Spria. Turael resides in Burthorpe, just north of the lodestone and south of the castle. There are no Slayer or combat level requirement for players to receive Slayer assignments from him.
If asked, Turael can change a player's Slayer task assigned by a different master to one that he will assign. He only does this once per assignment, and only if the first assignment is for a creature that Turael himself would not assign. After completion of Smoking Kills, changing a task in this way will reset the task count back to zero. Turael's tasks also do not award Slayer points upon completion, nor do they count for the five no-point tasks before beginning to gain them.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Turael excelled in Slayer and combat, and eventually rose to the rank of a Slayer Master. Turael married and had a daughter, Spria, whom he trained even at a young age to fight various creatures. Under Turael's tutelage, Spria excelled in Slayer and combat. Turael aspired to eventually retire and have his daughter replace him as Slayer Master.
Assisting Ava[edit | edit source]
Ava, a budding scientist and young assistant to the Professor of Draynor Manor, moved into Draynor Manor and sought to improve the residence by providing a new bed. Among the materials she needed to create the bed are twigs from an undead tree in the area. Turael, or his daughter Spria if he is replaced, assists the adventurer by offering a blessed hatchet, which can cut down undead trees, in exchange for a mithril hatchet and a holy symbol of Saradomin. With Turael's, or Spria's, help, the adventurer is successfully able to provide all required materials for Ava's new bed. Turael, and also Spria, continue to offer blessed hatchets after Ava's mission is complete.
Fighting Lucien[edit | edit source]
Turael joined a band of eight heroes recruited by the adventurer to fight Lucien. During this time, Spria was formally given the position of Slayer Master and assumed Turael's responsibilities, as Turael was unable to serve his usual functions as a Slayer Master during this mission. These eight heroes jointly attempted to save the adventurer from Lucien after the adventurer's identity was compromised. Turael was one of the six who perished in the ensuing battle. Despite his considerable strength as a human, he was no match for the immensely powerful Lucien, who wielded the Staff of Armadyl at the time. During the battle, he tried to directly attack Lucien with his Steel halberd, but it simply broke without dealing any damage. On Turael's death, the adventurer vowed to avenge him. Turael was succeeded as a Slayer Master by his daughter, Spria. Statues of him were built in front of the Slayer Tower, White Knights' Castle, and Falador Park in his honour, alongside statues of the other Slayer Master who perished in the battle, Duradel.
He planned to retire and take up viticulture and give Bernald some competition after killing Lucien, had he survived the battle, with Spria replacing him. Unfortunately, he never survived to fulfil this dream, though Spria did replace him, as he wished.
Assignments[edit | edit source]
|Monster||Amount||Low level Alternative||Combat Level (Slayer Experience per monster)||High Level Alternative(s)||Combat Level (Slayer Experience per Monster)||Weighting|
|Birds||10-25||Chicken||1 (3)||Terrorbird||28 (34)|
|Cave bugs||Cave bug||8 (7), 12 (8)||None|
|Cows||Cow calf||2 (6)||Cow||2 (8)|
|Crawling Hands||Crawling Hand||7, 8, 11, 12 (15, 16, 18, 19)||Zombie hand, Skeletal hand||90 (100), 80 (100)|
|Gelatinous abomination||None||6 (5)||None|
|Trolls||Troll||Troll general, Mountain troll, Cliff||-|
|Wolves||Adolescent White wolf||3 (6)||Big wolf, Ice wolf||73 (74), 96/132 (70/70)|
*Many slayer monsters have numerous variants of the monster assigned. This list is not inclusive of all variants. Please check the monster's page for more specific information about the different variants.
Slayer Challenge[edit | edit source]
After a player has performed several Slayer tasks for Turael, he will occasionally offer a special task in place of a regular Slayer task. The player can decline to take the special task without penalty. If the player accepts the special task, completing the task earns 1,000 Slayer experience (no Slayer experience is earned during the task).
Turael's special task is for the player to slay, in a single trip, all of the beasts in Turael's basement. The monsters are:
- 2 x goblin (level 1)
- 2 x goblin (level 5)
- 1 x goblin (level 11)
- 3 x wolf (level 15)
- 2 x wolf (level 19)
- 5 x minotaur (level 44)
His basement is found next to his house east of Challenge Mistress Fara, south-east of Turael himself. The ladder is south of the house and not marked on the map.
Task weighting[edit | edit source]
A dynamic calculator for task weight can be found here.
The percentage chance of getting assigned a given Slayer task can be calculated using the formula
where is the task's weight and is the sum of all weights for the particular Slayer Master. Note that the weights of all blocked tasks, as well as tasks toggled off have to be subtracted from the sum . For Turael, assuming all possible assignments are available, = .
Preferring a task makes it approximately twice as likely to be assigned, for the first assignment choice, but does not affect the weighting of the second assignment choice provided by a Slayer VIP ticket.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 April 2021 (Update):
- Resolved an issue where one of Turael's combat tutorials didn't appear when using a specific HUD layout.
- ninja 1 March 2021 (Update):
- Turael and Spria now only assign Slayer tasks for creatures that can be found in the Burthorpe and Taverley area, to ease new players into the skill.
- patch 14 September 2020 (Update):
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- The Burthorpe/Taverley slayer master has apparently been missing from the Slayer skill guide for at least 7 years. They’re back now.
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Fixed in an issue with unrelated audio tracks playing when in Turael's house.
- patch 16 September 2019 (Update):
- The NPC Contact lunar spell has updated its address book and can now find Turael.
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- Slayer shops will now correctly restock slayer gem packs at midnight.
- When getting your first Slayer task (gelatinous abominations from Turael/Spria), the slayer counter UI is now turned on.
- The slayer shop in Burthorpe will now correctly stock slayer gem packs.
- ninja 6 July 2015 (Update):
- Turael/Spria will now correctly point players towards south-west of Lumbridge for their spider slayer assignment.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Some dialogue for Spria and Tureal has been changed so it is not gender specific.
- update 26 January 2005 (Update):
- Added to game.
- Today we have introduced a new skill for members called the Slayer skill! To start the Slayer skill, you should find one of the Slayer Masters who are located in various places around RuneScape. There are five Slayer Masters in total, each catering to different strengths. They can be found in Burthorpe, Morytania, Edgeville Dungeon, Zanaris, and Shilo Village.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Turael's new hood is a recoloured version of the veteran hood.
- The first task everyone gets from him is always Gelatinous abominations.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 26 September 2014. (Archived from the original on 28 September 2014.) Mod Rowley: "Preferred Slayer tasks = a silent, second random roll. If either task is on your prefer list, that's what you get (bias towards first roll)... Once normal and prefer roll is decided, [if] you have a VIP ticket, you get the choice between that roll and a third roll."