|Release||1 May 2015 (Update)|
|Stacks in bank||No|
|Destroy||You can reclaim this from Challenge Mistress Fara.|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|Finds hidden caves across the world. Get access to the cave for a small amount of time (5 minutes to find and utilise the cave).|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The explorer's aura was a reward for completing a single category during the 2015 RuneScape Road Trip. It could be activated for 5 minutes and would reset at 00:00 UTC. Completing additional categories unlocks the higher tier greater, master, and supreme explorer's auras, providing 10, 20, and 30 minutes of active time respectively. After the aura was first unlocked, it would last for 30 days and would be usable once per day. If a new tier of the aura was unlocked, the aura could immediately be used again.
Once activated, the aura would direct a player to a portal a short distance away leading the player to a cave full of valuable monsters or resources, depending on the player's choice when activated. It was possible for the portal to not appear in some instances; such as a player-owned house, Clan Citadel, or in centres of traffic, in which case you would have to run to the portal. Due to the limited aura time, it was best to be fully prepared for the trip before activating the aura.
Due to the ability to leave the cave and load a new one, the greatest profit/experience was gained from leaving the cave and then quickly generating a new cave until players had the resources/monsters they wanted. Consuming the resources/monsters as much as possible then reloading a new one. However, there was a cap on specific resources, after which the game would show the massage: There are no more x worth salvaging on this x. You should return tomorrow. Reloading would not reset this limit. Up to 125 herbs could be picked per day. The type of resources were generally of the highest the player can find for the associated skill, such as Adamantite and Runite for Mining, and Yew and Magic trees for Woodcutting.
When the aura's timer ended, the player would automatically be teleported out of the cave. Any items on the ground or deployed traps would be lost.
30 days after it had been claimed, it would disappear along with the message: ""
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Resources cave[edit | edit source]
If the player choose to enter a Resources cave, they would be teleported to a private cave containing several resources, as well as a bank chest and a deposit box. When the aura expired, the player would be automatically teleported back to the surface. The player could also chose to exit through the Mysterious door. If the player choose to do this, the layout and content of the cave would change upon re-entry. This way, players had the ability to choose what resources they wanted to gather.
The possible resources that spawned in a resource cave could include three of the following types:
- 5 trees up to magic
- Hunter creatures up to crimson skillchompas (protean traps DID work), with a spawn point for spicy tomato bait and box traps
- 1-5 farmable herb spawns (5 being by far the most common) corresponding to the highest level herb the player could grow (While not raising the 125 herb limit, a Juju farming potion did work here, whilst the Greenfinger auras could not be used), up to torstol. They usually carried 1-2 herbs per patch, but could contain up to 6 herbs.
- 3 Fishing locations (including 100 fishing bait spawn point on the ground)
- 10 rocks up to runite, of which possibly up to 4 gem rocks
Resources would spawn relating to 3 random skills. All resources, except for fishing spots, would deplete after a short time, but would respawn.
Monsters cave[edit | edit source]
If the player choose to enter a Monsters cave, they would be teleported to a private cave containing six monsters such as jogres, moss giants, skeletons, elves, waterfiends or rock lobsters, as well as a bank chest and a deposit box. When the aura expired, the player would NOT be teleported back to the surface to allow time to loot drops. The player could still choose to exit through the Mysterious door.
The monsters would respawn when all were killed or after a certain interval, and would no longer respawn after the aura charge expired.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- The Explorer's aura will now reactivate correctly when logging out and in near a bank with the aura activated. As such, the portal will now spawn in the immediate vicinity of the player.
- The Explorer's aura will now recharge at midnight UTC, like other daily-use auras.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before 26 May 2015 the aura had a 23 hour cooldown.
- The same update also made the portal spawn inside the bank area, where the aura was activated, as opposed to about two minimaps in distance away.
- When the aura ran out inside a resource dungeon, all chinchompas exploded simultaneously.
- Unlike the rock lobsters in the Waterbirth Island Dungeon, the ones in the Monsters cave did not disguise themselves as rocks and were not aggressive.
- Prior to a hidden update, the aura could be used anywhere on RuneScape. However, there was a bug with the Explorer's aura where many odd things could occur, such players being able to enter Araxxor's arena, even if the player limit was set to 1 or 2, although they did not carry over to the fight with Araxxi. As a result, the aura was changed to only be used when a player was near an "official" banking area; places such as the Clan Citadel's gear box would not activate the aura.
- As the resources were randomly generated in the dungeon, mining rocks and herblore patches could be stuck behind other resources, and could not be obtained, similar to how resources could be found in inaccessible areas in Dungeoneering.
- If a player activated the explorer's aura while inside their player-owned port at the bank box in your workshop, the portal would spawn outside near the entrance portal for the port, rather than inside the port itself.
- If a player activated the aura, then entered an instance where the aura would not work, such as the Clan Citadel, the aura would become unusable for the remainder of its time.