Dark magic is a tier-3 aura that can be bought from War's Wares for 12,500 Marks of War. When activated, any damaging attack, including bleeds and all three combat styles but excluding poison, has an estimated 13% chance of inflicting a corrupting effect that deals damage four times per activation.
It is activated for 1 hour and has a cooldown time of 3 hours. As with all auras, if the account using it is logged out while the aura is activated, the timer will continue to run out.
Dark magic has an estimated 13% chance to activate from each hit of an ability, auto-attack, reflect damage (Armour spikes (alloy), Linza the Disgraced's equipment, etc.), and deflection curse. It cannot activate from poison damage, the Wyvern crossbow's passive effect, nor damage from the effect of necklaces made from the Blood necklace shard.
The initial damage of this effect is the lesser of:
- 15 * (corresponding damage-boosting stat + 1, ignoring level boosts; a maximum of 1500)
- 5% of the monster's maximum life points
Upon activation, the aura deals 100% of that damage, then 80% of it, then 64% of it, then 51.2% of it (295.2% total or 14.76% of the monster's maximum life points). The first hit will deal damage 6 ticks after activation, and each subsequent bleed hit will take 6 ticks. After the last bleed hit has dealt damage, there is a 6 tick cooldown until the aura can activate again. In total, the entire bleed takes around 36 ticks (21.6 seconds) until the aura can activate again. This damage is counted as auto-attack damage, and it does not carry over from one monster to another if the first one dies while under the effect.
For example, a rune dragon has 68,250 life points. If the player uses ranged with level 99 Ranged and a Supreme overload potion, their dark magic damage would be the lesser of (99 + 1) * 15 = 1,500 damage OR 68,250 * 0.05 = 3,412 damage. Their first hit would be 1500, then 1200, then 960, then 768, for a total of 4428 damage. Using Dark magic can increase damage output by 5-10% in the long run, depending on the monster's life points and the player's hits per minute.
Dark Magic's effect on DPM based on rotation type
||% increase of damage output
|4 tick auto attack
|2H Legacy Mode (average speed)
|Dual wield Legacy Mode (fastest speed)
The DPM increase is not linear; for example, dealing 60 hits per minute instead of 30 does not double the damage dark magic deals. However, a formula can estimate the amount of damage it can deal. By inputting hits per minute, it will output the damage dealt per minute from dark magic. This formula does not take monster life points into the equation.
The formula's DPM assumes using overloads, level 95/99 curses, tier 90 equipment, and perks - no Vulnerability, familiars, poison, or bakriminel bolts were used. The higher the player's damage per minute, the less of an effective increase in damage dark magic becomes. This would also mean a significant boost in damage if one was using a wand and shield combo, which more noticeable than when dual wielding or using a staff.
|Cost to extend (50%)
||20 Vis wax
|Cost to extend (100%)
||40 Vis wax
|Your damaging magic can additionally inflict a corrupting damage over time effect.
|The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- hotfix 18 October 2016 (Update):
- The effects of an inactive Dark Magic aura will no longer trigger when using ranged attacks.
- patch 4 January 2016 (Update):
- The Dark magic aura no longer inflicts damage after death.
- ninja 31 March 2014 (Update):
- The dark magic aura no longer causes damage to creatures while they should be immune.
- ninja 24 March 2014 (Update):
- The Dark Magic aura has been made significantly more powerful.
- This aura was made significantly more powerful due to a Ninja Team fix on 24 March 2014. Previously, Dark magic dealt around 98 damage on about 2% of its hits, making it fairly weak. Additionally, it could not damage poison-immune monsters like Glacors and ganodermic beasts because the damage was counted as poison. This aura was further updated on 26 October 2015, allowing it to work for any combat style - it previously only activated for magic attacks.
- Prior to the release of War's Retreat, the aura could be bought from the Loyalty Programme Shop for 42,500 Membership Loyalty Points.
- ^ Patch Notes - 24/03/2014