|Release||11 June 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||1 coin|
|Low alch||1 coin|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|For use with a fishing rod.|
|Exchange||5 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Fishing bait is used with the fishing rod. It is used to fish in any fishing spot as long as the spot has the Bait Fishing Spot option.
When a player has level 5 Fishing they can try to fish for sardine. At level 10 Fishing, they can fish for herring. A player can fish for pike at 25 Fishing. At levels 48/58/70, bait can be used to catch Leaping trout/Leaping salmon/Leaping sturgeon, although any type of fishing bait can be used with the Barbarian rod for these fish (bait, feathers, fish offcuts, roe, caviar). At 85 Fishing, fishing bait can be used to catch cavefish. During the Heroes' Quest, the player learns how to fish for lava eel with fishing bait.
Each catch uses up one piece of bait unless the player has claimed the reward from the prawnbroker in their player-owned house which allows them to fish without bait.
Fishing bait is commonly dropped by zombies, men/women, and many other undead monsters. Four sets of fishing bait spawn around a dead troll in southern Taverley, south and slightly west of Turael/Spria.
Fishing bait is also used to feed the second and third growth stages of God birds (Guthix raptor, Saradomin owl, Zamorak hawk) and Ravens, which makes sense, considering that fishing bait is essentially composed of maggots. This is revealed during the quest Let Them Eat Pie, where the player grinds grain with fishing bait to make maggoty flour, and in Recipe for Disaster, where the player uses Spice on 1 piece of bait to create Spicy maggots.
Products[edit | edit source]
- This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
- To force an update of this list, click .
- For an exhaustive list of items, click .
| Bait barrel|
Locations[edit | edit source]
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Fernahei's Fishing Hut||Shilo Village (location)||3||Coins||1,000|
|Fishing Guild Shop||Fishing Guild||3||Coins||1,000|
|Gerrant's Fishy Business||Port Sarim||3||Coins||1,000|
|Harry's Fishing Shop||Catherby||3||Coins||1,000|
|Jack Oval's Crafting Shop||Taverley||Free sample||-||10|
|Jack Oval's Crafting Shop||Taverley||3||Coins||30|
|Lumbridge Fishing Supplies||Lumbridge||3||Coins||1,000|
|Meena's Fishing Shop||Menaphos||3||Coins||1,000|
|Nicholas Angle's Shop||Taverley||Free sample||-||10|
|Nicholas Angle's Shop||Taverley||3||Coins||30|
- Gerrant's Fishy Business and Lovecraft's Tackle share the same stock.
Item spawns[edit | edit source]
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Afflicted||60; 61; 63; 64||1; 10–30||1/256|
|Al Kharid warrior||18||1||2/128|
|Armoured zombie||42; 46; 84; 86; 91||7||1/128|
|Corpse mage||21||80||10/384[dr 1]|
|Corpse spider||4||20||8/195[dr 1]|
|Crawling corpse torso||9||35||Common|
|Dagannoth (Lighthouse)||77; 78||50||2/128|
|Giant Sea Snake||63||50||Unknown|
|Giant lobster||40; 70||Unknown||Uncommon|
|Sea Snake Hatchling||63||50||Unknown|
|Sea Snake Young||63||50||Rare|
|Skeleton (Lumbridge Catacombs)||15||50||5/128|
|Undead Lumberjack||54; 64; 74; 78; 86; 97; 101; 108; 119||5||Uncommon|
|Zombie (random event)||14; 29; 49; 79; 120; 159; 170||27; 50||Common|
|Zombie pirate||35; 49; 50||10||Common|
|Zombie||11; 12; 14; 22; 29; 72; 74; 75; 77; 78; 79; 82; 84; 85||1; 5; 7; 9||Common|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 3 August 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue to prevent Fishing Bait from Ashdale being dropped on the floor which allowed players to repeatedly claim free bait.
- patch 4 January 2012 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to grind fishing bait or ashes on a free world.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the quests Recipe for Disaster and Let Them Eat Pie, as well as Issue 25 of the God Letters, fishing bait is revealed to be maggots. This explains why decaying zombies and many other undead creatures drop fishing bait.
- Fishing bait could be disassembled before an update on 1 February 2016.