|Release||21 November 2006 (Update)|
|High alch||22 coins|
|Low alch||15 coins|
|If a creature goes inside, the box should then slam shut.|
|Exchange||513 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
After a player sets up a box trap, they will automatically walk one square west to stand next to the trap. However, one may counter this by moving an item in the inventory while setting up the trap or by clicking when or right before the box springs open on the spot the player wishes to stand.
Laying traps[edit | edit source]
- After a certain amount of time, a box trap will collapse, requiring the player to pick it back up or lay it again.
- The box trap that you laid has collapsed.
- Sometimes, the box trap may be triggered, but the animal is not trapped.
- This trap has been triggered by something.
- If the trap is successful, the box trap becomes a Shaking box.
- It looks like there is something caught inside.
- Experience is only gained after the player retrieves the trapped animal, NOT after it gets trapped in the box.
- It takes an average of 1.63 seconds to lay a box trap.
In addition, if a player leaves a shaking box alone for a while, it will collapse. The captured creature will be lost if this happens.
- If a player has an extra box trap with them, when they click to pick up the trap rapidly click on your extra trap and it will be set up faster.
- When setting multiple traps, since the animation takes a while and the character moves, right-clicking will avoid a lot of hunter-clicking annoyances. For example, while re-setting traps, right-click on the next one you want to fix and keep the cursor on "Dismantle Box Trap" or "Check Shaking Box" - then when the animation finishes and your character moves you can simply click on the choice. This avoids having to find the trap with the cursor, and avoids clicking on other things that might be on top of the trap—your familiar , a butterfly , or your prey, or other unwanted actions.
- Also right-clicking on a fallen trap yields the choice "Lay Box Trap" which has the character set the trap right on the space it was.
- Note that just because the animal walks under the trap, doesn't mean it has been caught. It must go through the animation of entering the trap first.
Multiple traps[edit | edit source]
Box-trapping can be done using multiple traps at once, beginning with 2 traps at a time with level 1 hunter and maxing out at 5 box traps at a time with level 80 Hunter or 6 with the Volcanic trapper outfit.
Level Box traps 1 2 30 3 60 4 80 5
It is recommended that players bring multiple box traps with them (perhaps 10-15) while hunting. This is because it is easily possible that they may neglect a trap they set up and another player may steal their box trap.
Baiting or Smoking[edit | edit source]
Box traps can be baited or smoked, both of which increases the rates of success for catching animals. The bait disappears after each successful trap. Many hunters find this to be too much effort or inconvenience, for the small increase in capture rate.
Smoking a trap requires level 39 Hunter. To smoke a trap, you use a Lit torch with the already set up trap.
Animals[edit | edit source]
Certain trapped animals appear in the inventory. Left-clicking the animal will release the trapped animal. Trapped chinchompas are stackable, and can be used as a multi-target ranged weapon.
With the release of the Summoning skill, more animals were made available for box-trapping. Note that only the baby versions of the animals can be caught using box traps.
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Aleck's Hunter Emporium||Yanille||38||Coins||30|
|Irwinsson's Hunter Supplies||Anachronia||38||Coins||30|
|Nardah Hunter Shop||Nardah||38||Coins||30|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Default disassembly items|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- If you currently have 5 box traps laid and your hunter level falls below 80, the traps will no longer disappear if you try to repair one.
- patch 8 July 2019 (Update):
- The player will now walk on top of a shaking trap before picking it up, making it easier to re-lay on the same spot without the need to walk there first.
- Fallen over traps will now have a left-click option to lay rather than take.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to place box traps within the Duel Arena arenas.
- patch 2 November 2015 (Update):
- Rebuilding failed box traps will no longer delete them if the player is in combat.
- ninja 12 October 2015 (Update):
- Added left-click 'reset' option to set the trap back up without having to pick it up.
- ninja 14 April 2014 (Update):
- Players will now get a token amount of Hunter XP when dismantling traps which have been tripped by creatures.
- patch 8 April 2009 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where players would glide toward box traps that have been placed on the ground.