|Release||7 October 2009 (Update)|
|Location||Southwest of Falador|
|Examine||This will take my picture and send it to the forums.|
|doc • Talk page|
The photo booth is a members-only feature that allows players to take an in-game photo of their character's head for use as an avatar on the RuneScape forums and in RuneMetrics. One booth is located at the south-west corner of the Falador outer wall, next to the Makeover Mage. With level 5 Dungeoneering, players can also take a photo in Daemonheim by building a photo booth in the start room hotspot. No materials are required to build it, and it can be built at any Construction level.
A photo booth also appeared in Lumbridge during RuneFest 2017 as part of the skillchip hunt. Players were required to take a selfie with a staff of air in order to cross an item off the Runefest 2017 task list. It was removed after the event.
Restrictions[edit | edit source]
The photo booth has a few restrictions in place, to ensure it works smoothly. In order to limit players who constantly change their mind about the photo, this action can only be done again at least two hours after the last visit to the photo booth. Also, no lent items can be taken into the photo booth, only items that the player owns. This has lead to some scams in which players ask others to give them valuable items, such as partyhats, through trust trading to take a photo.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 25 January 2021 (Update):
- The issue where players were unable to update their avatar on the Official Forums using the Photo Booth has been fixed.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- The interfaces for the photo booth, Explorer's ring alchemy, price checker, emotes, trading, and the Dungeoneering party, floor and complexity settings have all been updated.
- patch 17 June 2013 (Update):
- Players in the photo booth should now have their hands properly aligned.
- patch 2 October 2012 (Update):
- Players will no longer attempt to walk through the tent walls when exiting the photo booth.
- patch 13 June 2012 (Update):
- The chathead that appears when using the Photo booth is once again appearing on the interface.
- patch 9 August 2011 (Update):
- patch 28 March 2011 (Update):
- The Dungeoneering photo booth no longer claims to need a novite bar in the skill advance guide.
- patch 24 November 2010 (Update):
- The 300QP Helmet of trials now renders correctly in the photo booth.
- patch 6 October 2010 (Update):
- Fixed a couple of items to look better when taking photo booth pictures.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There is a glitch that if you try to perform a Teleport Spell while still in the tent (after taking your photo) you will do the teleportation process but you will not go anywhere, causing you to waste your runes and/or tablets and you will lose the picture you just took.
- Sometimes your avatar picture can be glitched to where the face and body pictures don't match.
- If a player somehow manages to use the photo booth while inside the penguin suit or holding a monkey greegree, Iconis will say "Aww how cute. Sorry, but I'm afraid this service is for humans only." This is most likely directed at bug abusers who would try to obtain a glitch avatar.
- When random events existed, if a player received a random event whilst inside the photo booth, after completing the event they would be teleported to a small building behind Lumbridge Castle and would have had to make their way back to the booth again.
- Free players who have been a member and took their picture while a member are unable to use it on websites after their membership expires.
- Though the forum avatars look to be more advanced versions of your RuneScape chat box head, they're actually far less advanced, barely 3D. In fact, some hats have only one pixel colour (such as the black wizard's hat).
- When taking a picture, the eye at the top of the tent will close for a second.
- The Imp-in-a-box is a reference to Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel, The Colour of Magic in which an imp in a box draws pictures for the tourist Twoflower.
- After the update on 4 March, 2013 that made Taverley, Burthorpe, and the area west of Falador accessible to free players, free players can now reach the tent but cannot use it.
- Full body pictures were previously shown on the Adventurer's Log.