Pete/Peta the Makeover Mage is a wizard with power over genders, located in the house outside the south-west corner of Falador and north of the Crafting Guild. The Makeover Mage plays a small, indirect role in three quests, namely Recruitment Drive, Land of the Goblins, and Evil Dave's Big Day Out.
The Makeover Mage also sells Yin yang amulets. They are non-tradeable and offer no bonuses, but can be bought for 100 coins.
Several sheep are located just outside of their house for shearing; players can spin the wool into a ball of wool at the nearby Crafting Guild.
The interface seen when changing your gender via the Makeover Mage.
The Makeover Mage's house.
The Makeover Mage allows players to change their skin colour and their gender. By default, the options are set to the current gender and skin colour of the player's character. There are 12 skin colours to choose from. Three promotional skin colour are also available if unlocked.
All three skin colours are currently unlockable for one Premier Club reward token each.
- Recruitment Drive: if the player is male, the Makeover Mage can turn him into a woman in order to defeat Sir Leye who cannot be defeated by any man. Sir Tiffy used to give the male player a makeover voucher which would allow the player to change his gender free of charge, back when it normally cost 3,000 coins.
- Land of the Goblins: when an attempt to infiltrate the Goblin Temple fails, Oldak advises the player to visit the Makeover Mage, who will teach the player how to make a Goblin potion and will supply the secondary ingredients: the rare Pharmakos berries.
- Evil Dave's Big Day Out: changes the gender of Evil Dave when the player and Evil Dave switched bodies, so the player in Evil Dave's body could sneak into Falador Castle because Evil Dave is banned from Falador.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 19 February 2018 (Update):
- Players no longer lose their heads with the Masquerade head override if changing genders with the makeover mage.
- patch 22 August 2016 (Update):
- Removing some blocking from tiles south of the Makeover Mage's house.
- patch 20 April 2015 (Update):
- Players will no longer receive an incorrect warning message when changing gender at the Makeover Mage with chameleon extract applied.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- Players will no longer refer to Saradomin as their creator when declining a makeover from the Makeover Mage.
- patch 25 September 2013 (Update):
- The makeover mage interface now uses the new interface graphical style.
- patch 9 August 2011 (Update):
- The makeover mage no longer states a makeover costs 3000gp in his/her chat.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- The makeover mage no longer charges you if there hasn't been a swap.
- patch 9 June 2009 (Update):
- Improved the checks run by the Makeover Mage when changing your hairstyle.
- patch 28 April 2009 (Update):
- A render issue was fixed with another female clothing option from the Makeover Mage.
- The Makeover Mage has been given a quick (right-click) option to give yourself a bit of a sprucing.
- When using the Makeover Mage, females had the option to wear 'shorts', but this was actually a skirt. This has now been corrected.
- The code for the Makeover Mage and his/her interfaces have been significantly reworked and improved.
- The Makeover Mage is a gender-fluid wizard who transitions between genders using magic.
- On 25 August 2010, coinciding with an appearance update, four new skin colours were added to the mage's repertoire, allowing players to play as characters with even paler or darker skin tones.
- It is possible for the Makeover Mage to change gender while you're talking to them. If this happens, their chathead will change when progressing to the next dialogue.
- If a player has completed Recruitment Drive and uses a voucher received from the quest, the mage will act surprised that the voucher still exists since the service is now free.
- The female chathead in the makeover interface has green eyes, which players don't have.
- The Makeover Mage used to give players the option to change their haircuts and clothes in RuneScape Classic, but these functions have now transferred to other NPCs.