|Epoch date in VI||-11858|
|Epoch||Guthix arrives to Gielinor|
|Conclusion||Zaros invades Senntisten|
|Preceded by||Succeeded by|
|← The Time of Colossi||Second Age →|
The First Age, also known as the Mythic Period, is the first era of the history of Gielinor (as thought during the Fifth Age). According to Reldo, the age lasted exactly 3,427 years. Despite the name of this age, Gielinor had at least 48,000 years of history prior to it (Pre-First Age), based on observations seen at Orthen.
Calendar[edit | edit source]
The First Age ended roughly 8,000 years ago. It was previously believed that this was the first era in the history of Gielinor and that the gods Saradomin, Zamorak and Guthix created the world at the beginning of the First Age. The druids believed Guthix created Gielinor.
The dominant calendar during this age was the Old Guthixian Calendar. This calendar is no longer in use as Modern Guthixians use the Modern Guthixian Calendar, labelled A.G.S. (After Guthix Slept), referring to the date that started the Fourth Age.
Major events and information[edit | edit source]
- 17 years prior to year 0 - Guthix discovers Gielinor and brings various races through.
- Seren arrives on Gielinor.
- Seren clears some of the area of northern forest of Isafdar and constructs the Tower of Voices in the middle of it, laying the foundation of Prifddinas.
- World Gate is opened.
- Elves arrive on Gielinor.
- Construction of Prifddinas is completed.
- According to Laura, Guthix spoke of "short folks of varying kinds" that existed in Gielinor before the arrival of humans.
- The first humans stepped through the World Gate from another plane, which Jack describes as one with "a great many people" and "far less strange...people and scientific laws.". Guthix appears before the first humans of Gielinor and tells them to use, not abuse, their new world. They are seen in Meeting History and observed by the elf Haluned.
- Guthix uses the power of the Stone of Jas to create the Magic of Gielinor itself, imbuing it within Runestones which he scatters all over the land, allowing sentient races to practice the mystic arts.
- Mid-First Age - Guthix descends deep underground, beginning his slumber lasting about 8000 years.
- Mid-Late First Age - Other gods arrive to Gielinor.
- Year 3427 - Zaros arrives to Gielinor next to a small village eventually called Senntisten, marking the beginning of the Second Age.
The elves' arrival[edit | edit source]
Although historical texts differ on the exact timeline of the elves, many scholars believe the elves arrived some time in the First Age through the World Gate. The elves, who had come from another world, were led through the gate by Seren, who brought them into Tirannwn.
Once there, Seren brought the elves to a massive clearing in the forest of Isafdar, where she had created the legendary Tower of Voices from Crystal. Here the elves constructed Prifddinas, one of Gielinor's first cities and the oldest settlement still in existence today.
The World Gate[edit | edit source]
The World Gate was one of Gielinor's greatest mysteries. Very few texts speak of it, although it is known to have existed in the First Age. It is through the gate that the elves were led, although others may have arrived through it as well.
The World Gate was taken by Zaros and eventually sealed during the Second Age. The World Gate serves as a pathway or a link between several key worlds along the elemental path of planets from Freneskae to Gielinor. This may once have been one of the few ways to enter Gielinor, but during the Second Age and God Wars the barriers may have been weakened.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The First Age (Mythic Period)
Calendar: Old Guthixian
Length: 3,427 years
Epoch date in V: -11,856"
- ^ a b Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "Recent archaeological discoveries, especially on the island of Anachronia, have revealed previously untold millennia of history before what I once erroneously referred to as 'The First Age'. As the numbered system of ages has now been widely adopted by human and inhuman scholars across the world, I am reluctant to change it."
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "We know that the dragonkin calendar counted dates from the construction of Orthen. Based on astronomical observations recovered from its ruins, I believe this to be approximately 60,000 years before the present [...]"
- ^ Varrock Museum display No. 16, RuneScape. "The world of RuneScape is said to have been created by the gods Saradomin, Zamorak, and Guthix at the start of the 1st Age. However, recent evidence from a brave adventurer suggests that Zamorak was not a god at this point in time so would not have been able to create worlds. It's thought that for much of this time the gods were still in the process of forming the world and making the various lands, seas, plants, and animals."
- ^ Ariane, "Rune Mysteries", RuneScape. "According to the druids, Guthix created the world then entered a deep sleep."
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The calendar for this period is the current Guthixian calendar, as still used today by druids, Guardians and his other followers. They label this calendar 'A.G.S.' for 'After Guthix Slept'. Although Guthix's awakening when Forinthry was destroyed is an important date, this calendar's epoch is actually the day when Guthix returned to sleep once more."
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The ostensible start date is the day Guthix arrived on the planet, but this actually occurred 17 years earlier."
- ^ a b The Book of Seren, RuneScape. "[...] the green god - Guthix - visited our world. He invited us to join him on a journey to a perfect world. History tells that my people scarce believed his claims, but Seren was eager to explore the universe before her, and was as enamoured with him as she was with us. Any apprehensions my ancestors may have had were instantly forgotten when they saw Gielinor for the first time, for Guthix had spoken truly."
- ^ Laura, "Meeting History", RuneScape. "[Guthix] spoke briefly of 'short folk of varying kinds' already existing here, but we've yet to see them."
- ^ Jack, "Meeting History", RuneScape. "We're the first humans to come to RuneScape. We came from another plane. On our plane, there are a great many people, and the creatures and the scientific laws seen far less strange."
- ^ a b Colossi & the time of colossi, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The second half of the First Age, part two if you will, began when Guthix, satisfied with the civilisation he had created, passed into slumber. [...] Along with other gods who arrived on Gielinor at this time [...]"
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "During the second age, year zero changed several times as the church tried to better estimate the exact day on which Zaros originally invaded Senntisten. I believe the final value to be correct."