|Epoch date in VI||-8431|
|Epoch||Zaros invades Senntisten|
|Conclusion||Zamorak defeats Zaros|
|Preceded by||Succeeded by|
|← First Age||Third Age →|
The Second Age, also called the Ancient Period by Reldo, is one of the six ages of Gielinor and the period most often associated with the god Zaros. According to Reldo, the age lasted exactly 1,780 years.
During the slumber of Guthix, Zaros and soon many other gods arrived on Gielinor, establishing territories and gaining followers. Many gods would introduce their own races to Gielinor. It is known many more gods existed on Gielinor during the Second Age than today. The exact number is unknown but it may have exceeded twenty. These gods either allied with the more powerful gods on the plane during this time, perished during the God Wars that followed this age, or fled the plane during either period. This age could be considered one of the most important ages in the history of Gielinor, as many of beginnings of the feuds between the Gods and their followers can be traced back to this age. Nonetheless the political structure of Gielinor during this age was dominated by the god Zaros, who was so influential that the Second Age could also be deemed the "Age of Zaros". Zaros founded the largest empire in the history of Gielinor during this age, and his highly aggressive means of expanding it made him feared by the gods that opposed him.
According to Reldo, the moment that ended the Second Age and started the Third was the moment Zaros was no longer present: the betrayal of Zaros by his highest general, Zamorak. The Staff of Armadyl fell into the hands of Zamorak after a series of events, and it was the key to his plans to betray Zaros. When it came time to do the deed, Zamorak stabbed Zaros with the staff, but Zaros did not fall, and they struggled until the staff pierced them both at the same time, when a part of Zaros' power flowed via the staff into Zamorak. After that, Zamorak became a god and Zaros was banished, locked in the distant and empty realm of Freneskae.
Calendar[edit | edit source]
The dominant calendar during this age was the Zarosian Calendar, which has since fallen out of use even among Zarosians. It is dated from the year of Zaros' invasion of Senntisten. The "Second Age" period has been constructed on the basis of this calendar: the beginning of the Second Age corresponds to the beginning of the Zarosian Calendar. Throughout the Second Age, the church of the empire changed year zero several times as they tried to estimate the exact day on which Zaros invaded Senntisten. The Virtus Book from the year of Zaros' fall dates itself to the year 1987, placing the start of this version of the calendar over 200 years before Reldo's later estimate.
Major events[edit | edit source]
- Zaros arrives to Gielinor.
- Tumeken, Elidinis and their children, Icthlarin and Amascut, founded the Kharidian/Menaphite empire in the modern Kharidian areas.
- Tumeken creates Het, Apmeken, Crondis, and Scabaras.
- The Duel Arena is built by followers of Het to train warriors.
- Zaros comes to Gielinor and slays the hydra-god Loarnab.
- Zarosian Empire is established and immediately begins annexing territory. Throughout the Second Age, the empire extends rapidly through war and eventually becomes the largest and mightiest empire of Gielinor.
- Guthix's World Gate is sealed by the forces of Zaros, causing the Crystal seed supply from Seren's world to be cut off from the Elves.
- At some point, Zaros discovers the race that would come to be known as the Dragon Riders, and brings them from their world to Gielinor, where they become some of his most prominent and feared followers. However, due to their infertility - which remains uncured by Zaros - they are eventually depleted to only five in number by the time of Zamorak's betrayal.
- Zarosian Empire goes to war with the Kharidian empire. Icthlarin brings the Mahjarrat to Gielinor, and their deployment successfully defends the Kharidian Empire and drives out the Zarosian armies, winning the Kharidian-Zarosian War for the Menaphite Pantheon.
- Amascut's mind becomes warped and she becomes known as the Goddess of Destruction after witnessing the Mahjarrat and the destruction they caused.
- The Saradominist kingdom Hallowland with its capital Hallowvale is established in the modern Morytania region.
- Within the last 350 years of the Second Age, the Mahjarrat abandon Icthlarin and become the followers of Zaros, making his already considerable military all but unstoppable.
- Gods and by extension their empires make a pact that if any of their empires are attacked by the Zarosian Empire then an alliance of Gods will declare war on Zaros. Unable to defeat a combined coalition of gods and an unwillingness to create more wars, Zarosian aggression is checked and a cold war begins amongst the various factions.
- Bandos learns of Gielinor and, sensing a war brewing, begins establishing colonies in territory not claimed by the other Gods.
- The Slayer Tower is built by General Viggora.
- The Zarosian Empire reaches its peak, consisting of Forinthry (today's Wilderness), northern Misthalin, northern Asgarnia and northern Morytania.
- Zamorak, a Zarosian general at the time, orchestrates his master's downfall, a plan enacted in year 1780.
- Year 1780: Zamorak becomes a god after Zaros' defeat.
- Immediately following Zaros' defeat, the Third Age begins as Zamorak travels to Infernus to assist the Avernic demons in overthrowing the Chthonians. It takes him and the Avernic demons 17/19 years to either destroy or exile the Chthonians. When he returns to Gielinor, he is backed by a vast army of demons, one so large that he could conquer the world. He declares war on the other gods, wanting to reclaim the Stone of Jas from Saradomin.
Regions controlled by known Gods by the end of the Second Age[edit | edit source]
- Guthix - during the Second Age, Guthix was sleeping and many other gods were active in Gielinor, so he had few followers.
- Zaros - the Wilderness (known as Forinthry during that time), Misthalin, mid-Kandarin, northern Asgarnia, and northern Morytania were under his control. The Zarosian Empire was the by far the largest and mightiest by the end of the Age.
- Saradomin - Saradomin was much less influential in this age than he would later become. His strongest holdings were the mighty Hallowland, where his Icyene were garrisoned, and Entrana where, according to his monks, he first arrived in the world. He also had influence rivalling Zaros in areas like southern Asgarnia and the Kharidian Desert, primarily in cities like Uzer.
- Armadyl - assumed to be some parts of modern Kandarin, due to central Kandarin being the location of the Temple of Ikov and some other Armadylean sites. Armadyl had sole control of his various citadels in the sky at this time (these citadels are the Clan citadels used today).
- Seren - Tirannwn, and northern areas of Kandarin. Was mostly isolationist outside her territory.
- Menaphite Pantheon - both the northern and southern parts of the Kharidian Desert, though by the end of the Second Age, the northern Kharidian had became a cultural melting pot with both Zarosian and Saradominist worship widespread, especially in the cities.
- Bandos - Bandos came to Gielinor close to the end of the Second Age, near the beginning of the God Wars. He would begin to introduce various races such as Goblins, Ogres, etc. from Yu'biusk in preparation for war. His exact territories during this age are unknown.
- Fremennik/Barbarian Gods - Fremennik Province, northern Kandarin, as well as the Fremennik/Lunar Sea islands.
- Karamjan Gods - Karamja and possibly adjacent islands.
- Marimbo - Ape Atoll and the southern islands.
- Unknown - southern and western Asgarnia, eastern Kandarin, Southern and Eastern Sea islands.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The Second Age (Ancient Period)
Length: 1,780 years
Epoch date in V: -8,429"
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The Third Age began with the death of Zaros at the hands of his own general, the Mahjarrat Zamorak."
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "The calendar of this period is that of the Zarosian empire. During the second age, year zero changed several times as the church tried to better estimate the exact day on which Zaros originally invaded Senntisten. I believe the final value to be correct. The handful of surviving Zarosians I have encountered no longer use this calendar, having found it more convenient to use the dominant local calendar."
- ^ Virtus Book, RuneScape. "Compiled reports of the Sedecim legion to the command of Nex; Year 1987 of the Zarosian Empire calendar - Solar quarter."
- ^ Azzanadra, "Azzanadra's Quest", RuneScape.
- Icthlarin: As for me, I will not work with a traitor.
- Azzanadra: It's been nearly seven thousand years, psychopompous.
- ^ Reldo's ages seventeenth edition, written by Reldo, RuneScape. "[...] there are actually two disputed dates for the calendar's epoch, and Zamorakians are roughly divided half and half in which they use. The first system is based on the day Zamorak slew Zaros and ascended to godhood, while the second is based on the day he returned to Gielinor seventeen years later with an army of demons and began the God Wars. I have chosen the first of these two systems as the epoch on which to anchor the Third Age."
- ^ Zemouregal's memory, written by Zemouregal, RuneScape. "Nineteen years later, Zamorak returned to Gielinor [...]"