|Release date||17 March 2014 (Update)|
|Quest||Fate of the Gods|
The Light Within
|Location||North-west of the gate to Arandar, south of Char's cave and south west of Tree Gnome Stronghold.|
|Examine||I can see another world through here.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
|Freneskae World Gate|
|Release date||24 March 2014 (Update)|
|Quest||Fate of the Gods|
|Examine||This leads back to Gielinor.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
|Tarddiad World Gate|
|Release date||24 August 2015 (Update)|
|Quest||The Light Within|
|Examine||This will lead you back to the world you know.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The World Gate, also known as the Portal of Life, is a dimensional passage that allows travel between worlds. It was created by Guthix with the Blade and was used to populate Gielinor with many of the races that currently inhabit it. It came into the possession of Seren after Guthix went to sleep at the end of the First Age, and in the Second Age, it was taken by Zaros and then later sealed in the Shadow Realm.
It features as a major part of the Fate of the Gods quest, and is used to access Freneskae. Other worlds may be viewed through it, but they are not reachable except Tarddiad and Mount Firewake on Kethsi. If a player attempts to access any of the other worlds, they will be prevented, and the following message appears in the chat box: A mystical force stops you from stepping through the World Gate.
History[edit | edit source]
First Age[edit | edit source]
In the First Age, Guthix used The Blade to create the World Gate, and used it to bring creatures from other planes to Gielinor, such as Humans, Gnomes, Fairies, Ents and Dwarves. The elves were also brought to Gielinor from their ancestral homeland through the World Gate by Seren. According to The Book of Seren and the Crystal of seren, the World Gate was consumed by an 'emptiness' that enveloped the land, and sought to control and bend all to its will. This is later revealed to be the work of Zaros, who took control of the Gate during his reign in the Second Age in order to, in his words, "more quickly and easily explore creation, and to further [his] knowledge of magic and science". This cut off elven access to crystal, their primary resource.
Kethsi[edit | edit source]
Elder Mage Etheron of the Mage Conclave of Kethsi spent six years in the outer planes on an expedition. He returned through the World Gate with the Stone of Jas, which allowed the Kethsians to cast spells to better their civilisation. However, the stone later brought the Dragonkin, which ultimately caused the demise and ruination of Kethsi.
Sixth Age[edit | edit source]
During the sixth age, the World Gate was rediscovered north of Arandar by the player. After being retrieved from the Shadow Realm by Sliske, the World Gate plays a heavy part in the Fate of the Gods quest, providing access to the mahjarrat homeworld of Freneskae. Afterwards, the World Gate remains powered at the same location, however it is currently unable to be used for travel to any location excluding Freneskae, Kethsi, and Tarddiad. During The Light Within the player gains access to use the World Gate to go to Tarddiad.
Location[edit | edit source]
The World Gate was originally created by Guthix on Zanaris. He considered the gate unstable, but could not find the cause. It is unknown when, why, and by whom the World Gate was moved, but it was located in Isafdar at the time of the elves' arrival, and due to its consistent link to Seren's ancestral homeworld for nearly two ages likely remained there. According to the humans in Meeting History however, it was located east of modern day Ardougne, on the other side of a mountain.
The World Gate can be found in game north-west of the entrance to Arandar, southwest of the Tree Gnome Stronghold and south of Char's cave. An alternative way to get to the World Gate is to teleport to the Eagles' Peak lodestone and head directly south. You will need a ring of visibility to see the full portal. During and after Fate of the Gods, the ring of visibility will not be needed to see or use the World Gate.
Worlds[edit | edit source]
Right-click on the World Gate and select Quick Dial to access:
Then click on World Gate to enter.
During and after the Fate of the Gods quest, as players reaches new areas in Freneskae, a shortcut teleport option is added:
- Elder Halls
A list of known worlds the gate can access can be found below.
|N||A once lush world left to ruin. You recognise it as Guthix's homeworld.||Naragun|
|T||A world covered entirely by trees. You recognise it as being Tarddiad, home plane of the elves.||Tarddiad|
|V||A world with a blood-red sky and many castles and fortresses.||Vampyrium|
|A||Many rock islands floating in the sky above an exposed planetary core.||Abbinah|
|F||A volcanic, ash-covered world comprised solely of black rock. You recognise it as being Freneskae, home plane of the Mahjarrat.||Freneskae|
|H||A vast ocean speckled with hundreds of small islands. One has a gleaming white tower upon it.||Hallow|
|I||Many twisted planes filled with fire.||Infernus|
|K||Vast ruins and large, putrid swamps. You recognise it as the ruined plane of Kethsi.||Kethsi|
|L||Strange devices crackling with red lightning. You recognise it as being Teragard, the origin plane of humankind.||Teragard|
|M||A world engulfed in flames. It's kind of beautiful.||Muspell|
[edit | edit source]
The World Gate was released in game the week before the release of Fate of the Gods, only visible with the ring of visibility. As it does currently, a mysterious force prevented players from entering most worlds, except one, "a volcanic, ash-covered world comprised solely of black rock", Freneskae. However, this world could not be accessed yet due to the gate being powered down, instead a message appeared saying "The gate isn't powered."
The gate could be powered up by switching to worlds in a correct combination, the same way as during the quest, although no hint was given on how to do it. After being powered up, trying to enter Freneskae would give the message "The gate is powered, but it's in the Shadow Realm. I can't use it like this.". Although Fate of the Gods is now released, players can still power it up before the quest, and will not have to power it up again during it.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 September 2017 (Update):
- patch 24 July 2017 (Update):
- A typo on the Kethsi option within the World Gate menu system has been fixed.
- update 24 August 2015 (Update):
- The World Gate to Tarddiad was added to the game with the release of the quest The Light Within.
- update 24 March 2014 (Update):
- The World Gate to Freneskae was added to the game with the release of the quest the Fate of the Gods.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- To power up the World Gate, one must "dial", albeit in runic language, "MAH", which is the name for the Elder God who inhabits Freneskae.
- As first shown in the concept art image of the World Gate, the runes on the gate are Medieval runes, with the one in the concept art meaning "F".
- The appearance of the World Gate, with the inner ring and the runic symbols, plus the dialling of a combination of different world symbols in a specific sequence for gate activation, is a reference to the Stargate franchise.
- The examine text of the Portal of Life is a reference to the game Portal.
- It has been shown that despite allowing you to be part of the Shadow Realm (as show during the General's Shadow mini-quest), the ghostly robes do not make a difference when interacting with the World Gate.
- If a player attempts to teleport away while in close proximity of the World Gate the message "The World Gate interferes with your teleport" appears in the player's message box.
- The World Gates on Freneskae, Kethsi and Tarddiad show the rune meaning "G" to show that they are dialled to Gielinor.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ The Book of Seren, "author unknown", RuneScape. "Whatever my goddess's intentions, they were set aside when a great emptiness fell upon this world. It spread like a blight across the land - led by one who cared not to live in harmony with the world as we did, but sought to control all and bend it to its will. We even lost the World Gate to its insatiable hunger, and could travel no more to our crystal world of old."
- ^ a b Mod Rowley. "Fate of the Gods - FAQ." 25 March 2014. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Armadyl, "The Bird and the Beast", RuneScape. "Abbinah is a world of floating islands. Like any race, we need water, and the only source is at the core of our world. But the path is fraught, and many have died for the simple survival of our race."
- ^ Padomenes, "Battle of Lumbridge", RuneScape. "Like many others on Gielinor, I too am from another plane, brought here by the grace of Saradomin. Our world is one of ocean, with small islands dotted throughout. The land is fertile, and many of us grow crops."
- ^ Palkeera, "Palkeera's memory", RuneScape. "Infernus. Pandemonium. The Infernal Dimensions. Human demonologists seem so confused. These are all the same place. I have been there. It is a magnificent place, a world more like Freneskae than Gielinor, made of jagged rocks and liquid fire."
|Part 1 of the Enchanted key quest series|
|Part 2 of the Enchanted key quest series|
|Part 7 of the God quest series • Part 3 of the Enchanted key quest series • Related to the Elf quest series|