|Role||Chief Executive Officer|
|Employed||1 February 2008 ─ Late 2014|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Mark Gerhard, also known as Mod MMG, was the Chief Executive Officer of Jagex from 1 February 2009 to late 2014. On 11 September 2014, Mod MMG announced that he would be leaving Jagex at the end of the year, and he was eventually on garden leave by 4 October that year.
Before becoming the CEO of Jagex, Mod MMG was its Chief Technical Officer.
Employment with Jagex[edit | edit source]
As Chief Technical Officer[edit | edit source]
Mod MMG gave a short account on the RuneScape Forums about how he came to join Jagex as CTO.
|“||I heard about the vacancy for a CTO (Chief Technical Officer) at Jagex, but I was also looking at other roles around that time. I tried the game to better understand what Jagex did and was really impressed with the technology and game – the more I found out about Jagex like the platform, proprietary in-house tools, languages and systems, the more I was intrigued. I had a 3 hour interview with Andrew [Gower] which ended up being a being an in-depth IT Security debate and suffice to say I was blown away to learn that Jagex’s approach to IT Security was more rigorous than some of the banks I had consulted for or even the lottery systems we had architected. I instantly realised this was an incredible company with so many high calibre staff at the very cutting edge of so many technology fronts - I just simply had to work for Jagex.||”|
|— MMod MMG |
As Chief Executive Officer[edit | edit source]
When Mod MMG became the CEO of Jagex, he stated that non-members will also receive updates in the future. For example, as of April 2009, non-members were permitted access to the RuneScape Forums provided they had 12.5 million total experience. In August 2009, Mod MMG confirmed that RuneScape's next skill will be for all players (non-members and members).
He had announced many upcoming updates in his Clan chat. He explained that Jagex is working on a major "forum rewrite."[source needed] On the RuneScape Forums, he has also posted that he was considering making Fletching a non-member skill.[source needed] He had promised new content for higher levels and an update for the Magic skill to balance magic (which he believes is underpowered) with other combat skills.[source needed]
Mod MMG had made promises saying that he will make sure Jagex will become a less secretive company. The "Rants" forum was reinstated under his leadership in March 2009, along with an apology for removing it at all. His arrival also led to Jagex being more open with popular fansites for the first time since Andrew Gower's link with tip.it.
Media appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex Appoints Mark Gerhard as Chief Executive Officer. Press Releases. Jagex. (Archived from the original on 2009-02-02.) "UK, Cambridge, 30th January, 2009 – Jagex today announced the appointment of Mark Gerhard as the new Chief Executive Officer following the resignation of Geoff Iddison earlier this month. Mark Gerhard, who currently serves as the Chief Technical Officer at Jagex, has been appointed to lead the company from 1st February."
- ^ Batchelor, James. Gerhard leaving Jagex. Develop Online. (Archived from the original on 2014-09-03.)
- ^ Jagex. Mod MMG's Twitter account. 4 October 2014. (Archived from the original on 1 January 2015.) Mod MMG: "I'm now officially on "Garden Leave" until the end of the year."
- ^ Gerhard, Mark. Answers from Mark Gerhard. News & Announcements, Runescape Forums. Jagex Ltd. (Archived from the original on 2009-08-24.) "Q) Tommy Z9 - How long have you worked for Jagex? A) I joined Jagex as their Chief Technical Officer (CTO) on 1st February 2008."
- ^ Mod MMG. "Even more answers......." (Archived from the original on 14 August 2009.) News & Annoucements Forums.
- ^ Mod Kelvin. Free player forum access. Website updates. Jagex Ltd. (Archived from the original on 2009-08-14.) "Today, we have opened up the forums for high level free players to be able to post! All free players who have earned over 12.5 million XP (that roughly equates to someone having all F2P skills on level 72) are now able to post."
- ^ Gerhard, Mark. Mark Gerhard's Answers. Developer Blogs. Jagex. (Archived from the original on 2009-08-06.) "We are working hard on a new skill, which will be available to free-to-play and members and which shows our continued commitment to the free game. We are also looking to improve some of the free quests as well as early graphics."
- ^ Gerhard, Mark. Rants forum returns. Website updates. Jagex Ltd. (Archived from the original on 2009-08-14.) "Today we have reinstated the rants section of the forums. [...] It was a stupid idea to take it away in the first place; I’m really sorry that we removed an opportunity for players to tell us about the things that they don’t like about the game, and as promised we are working on various ways to improve your ability to talk to us."
- ^ Golden Joysticks 2009. The Gadget Show videos. Channel 5 Broadcasting Ltd. [The relevant section is approximately 3:25 to 3:45]*
- ^ Best UK dev named. Golden Joystick Awards 2009. Future Publishing Limited. (Archived from the original on 2009-11-04.) "One of the surprises of the show was who you lot named Best UK Developer. ... the best UK dev went to Jagex. While the name might not immediately ring any bells, it's the studio behind the incredibly popular free-to-play MMO RuneScape. In fact it hold a Guinness World Record for the world's most popular free MMO."
[edit | edit source]
- Interview with Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard
|Geoff Iddison||Chief Executive Officer||Rod Cousens|
|Old School RuneScape|