RuneScape Wiki Post – Issue #7: Interview with Quarenon
Scizor interviews Quarenon[edit source]
Thank you for agreeing to an interview with us, Quarenon. You were recently featured user, can you tell us how you feel about this achievement?
- Becoming user of the month was quite a personal accomplishment. I was quite surprised when I become the featured user because I have only been a part of the community for a small period of time compared to the other nominees. Regardless, it's great to know that my contributions here have made a positive impact on both the readers and editors of the site.
As a wikian, what do you think of the RuneScape Wiki's community?
- The community here is excellent, and that is definitely an understatement. There are many people here who are constantly improving the quality of RuneScape Wiki. It can be very easy for readers to take for granted the amount of work needed to maintain thousands of articles especially as RuneScape itself is constantly evolving. Many of the people here are also very friendly and helpful and it just feels great to be a part of an awesome community.
What, in your opinion, is the most important feature of the RuneScape Wiki?
- I'm a huge fan of the wiki concept and of the ability for people to collaborate in order to create good, high-quality content. So, to me, it is the collaboration that makes RuneScape Wiki unique among other fan-sites and allows us to present information in a distinctive way.
What would you consider your greatest gift to the wiki? I know you've done quite a remarkable amount of scripting, but what would you consider the most important?
- Scripts are great because they help automate things and makes it easier for everyone to do what they want to do. However, I feel that my best contribution to the wiki is simply the updates I make to the content of the site, to keep articles professional-looking and current with changes to the game. After all, the wiki's bottom line is to provide information, so that's what I think is most important. Scripts are just a catalyst for that.
- Jagex has been releasing updates that are largely about polishing various game features, and I think this has been a step in the right direction. A great number of small, annoying bugs that have been in the game for a long time are finally being cleaned up. In addition, I love the various new features such as the Rest feature, the Objective system and the interface changes. I'm a low-level player compared to most so high-level content updates are not particularly important to me, even though I could understand someone feeling that Jagex should do more in this area.
What, do you consider, is the greatest thing Jagex has done to the game? Why do you feel so?
- The Grand Exchange and the trading updates associated with it, for sure. I was a free player for a short period of time before it was released, and it was very frustrating to trade with people. It was particularly annoying because I hadn't played the game enough to know the real value of any items and getting certain items was difficult, and I think many other new players felt the same. There are still some issues with the system but overall it was a great addition to the game.
What is your favourite thing about RuneScape? What makes you feel so?
- RuneScape is a game I play very casually. I usually play a few hours when I want to relax, and RuneScape is a browser-based game so it's easy to load up. The fact that updates are always being released keeps things interesting, too.
I'm sure you have some ideas you would wish to have in the game, would you care to share them?
- Sure! I think the Prayer skill has a tremendous amount of untapped potential as far as ways to use it. Maybe more ways to give prayer bonuses to summons? I should check out the RuneScape suggestions forum, I'm sure others have great ideas to improve this skill too!
For our last question, do you feel that RuneScape non-members should receive more content updates?
- Yes, definitely. I have to agree with Mod MMG's stance on this one, because free players are also a very important part of RuneScape. I think it's important for Jagex to recognise free players as an integral part of the player base and that free-to-play updates can be a good way to retain them and keep them excited about playing.
Thank you for answering these questions, Quarenon.
You are not entitled to view the results of this poll before you have voted.