Players can right-click the run button next to the minimap and select "Rest" from the menu. By default, resting players sit down in a relaxed stance; alternating between two possible sitting positions (three for female characters). While in this stance energy and life points will regenerate far quicker. At level 1 Agility, run energy will regenerate at 2.8 points per second when resting as opposed to 0.44 points per second when not. Life points are also regained much faster.
Rest is not functional if one is poisoned, being attacked, holding a banner, or in the form of a monkey, goblin or a penguin. Therefore, the resting ability does not give immunity to the attacks of other players or NPCs.
History[edit | edit source]
On the 19 March 2009, Jagex created a RuneScape account on Facebook. One of the pictures added shows a player battling Chronozon, and a message in the chat box that reads: , undoubtedly a reference to the rest feature. This showed the Rest button would have some kind of restoring properties.
On 1 April 2009 the Rest option was removed. That same day in the RuneScape Forums, Mod Ash stated: "The Rest option is coming soon. I'm not sure exactly when. Until it does finally come, there's no real need to leave it sitting there doing nothing". On 23 April, Jagex released a development diary stating that the Rest feature was a mistake. The diary also states that the rest feature will centre on what was originally known as buskers, musician NPCs who play their instruments.
Musician[edit | edit source]
When listening to a Musician, energy will regenerate at an even faster pace. At level 1 Agility, resting near a musician regenerates energy at 3.8 points per second instead of 2.8 when resting normally or 0.44 when not resting at all. When listening to any one of the many musicians with Music enabled, the in-game music will switch to a different track, in lieu with the instrument played by the musician.
Animations[edit | edit source]
Solomon's General Store[edit | edit source]
Soon after the opening of Solomon's General Store, new resting animations were made available for players. The first ever resting animation is the Zen Resting, which has since been free for all members. As time passes, more new resting animations were made available for purchase using RuneCoins (or loyalty points if applicable), the General Store's main currency.
Resting animations purchased from Solomon's General Store can be activated at any time via the Customisation interface of the Gear tab, under Animations. Resting animations are considered as Skill Animations, and are thus available to be previewed (or activated) from the aforementioned subtab.
If more than one resting animation is activated, one will be used in sequence from the order they were activated each time the player rests, starting with the first activated.
Other[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- patch 4 January 2016 (Update):
- Resting with a Goebie disguise kit no longer stretches the character.
- patch 9 September 2009 (Update):
- Adjusted the code for resting due to changes with the previous update.
- patch 8 July 2009 (Update):
- Corrected the run mode option text after resting.
- No more resting on Tutorial Island – you should be learning!
- You can no longer attempt the shot-put while resting.
- patch 16 June 2009 (Update):
- Players should no longer float slightly when resting while wearing a dragon plateskirt.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If one tries to do an emote while resting a message will appear in the chatbox: "Emotes aren't very restful."
- It used to be possible to bank while resting.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, resting only restored 1 life point per 6 seconds.
- The rest update had many unexpected side effects and caused crippling glitches to the game for the first day after its release, resulting in angry reactions from players who found that the glitches interfered with their gameplay.