The Zemomark is the currency used to buy items in New Varrock. 10 Zemomarks are received upon first entry to New Varrock. Zemomarks are not stored in a money pouch, but are kept in the backpack. Zemomarks, like all items in New Varrock, are kept upon death. More Zemomarks may be earned by:
- Completing Dimension of Disaster subquests
- Completing tasks in the New Varrock Tasks
- Selling items obtained in New Varrock to stores
- Opening treasure chests around New Varrock and stealing loot (requires a lockpick, obtained during the Shield of Arrav subquest)
- Attacking or pickpocketing citizens of New Varrock
You cannot use the banks in the city, as the skeleton clerk tells you that they "no longer serve the fleshy folk", nor is there a Grand Exchange. Thus, it is recommended to sell supplies you will not need or are easily replaced.
There are multiple methods to gain more Zemomarks, whether you need them for quest outfits, elemental staves, or the Mystery gift which costs 200,000 and contains the Chromatic partyhat required for the achievement Seven Colours In Their Hat. The player can utilise shop supplies to profit from crafting items. Due to limited supplies, it's recommended to use multiple of the following techniques while you wait for each to replenish:
- Fastest method: Kill zombies with a Staff of Air using air spells just northwest of Zaff's shop. Place Chain, Dragon Breath, Corruption Blast, and Tsunami at the front of the Revolution bar. Only pick up stackables like ammo and runes, as well as Staves of Water, Earth, and Fire (Staff of Air only sells for 20) The easiest way to do this is to set a keybind for 'Target cycle forward' and use it when you kill a target and use area loot to pick up the loot.
- Trap a zombie inside the New Varrock General Store, pickpocket it until you have filled your inventory and then proceed to sell it to the Shopkeeper (remember to turn off the 'NPC attack option' in the 'Combat & Action Bar' settings for a faster pickpocket). This method might be quicker than the above mentioned depending on your Thieving level.
- Buy and cut gems from Urist's Crafting Supplies in New Varrock Square or from treasure chests. From Sani's Orefully Affordable Store in west New Varrock buy gold ore, then smelt and craft at the nearby furnace into jewellery, which can be sold to the New Varrock General Store. Jeweled bracelets will provide the best profit of 170 to 797.
- When gems are not available, buy gold ore from Sani then smelt and craft into gold bracelets. Sell to the general store. (15 profit each time)
- Buy Spider Silk (50 each) from Zaff's Superior Spellcasting shop and craft Spider Silk Boots to sell at the General Store for 150 each. Spider Silk is slow to replenish, but each pair of boots sold is 100 profit.
- Collect and tan hard leather from Tanner in south-west New Varrock or from treasure chests or from cows in eastern New Varrock. You can buy thread from Thessalia by Varrock Square. The Tanner also sells up to 10 hard leather, for only 1 each. Hard leather can be crafted into shields that can be sold to the general store for 71.
- Buy iron ore from Sani by the western anvils then smelt and smith into iron nails. Sell to the general store. (50 profit per bar with Ring of Forging)
- If you make and wear a Ring of Forging, you earn around an extra 3,000 (or more, if less than 46 ) for every 17,000 you make from this method. (Note: as rings of forging track their charges per player and not per ring, you can save on gems in New Varrock by heading back to the real world when you're almost out of charges and use up a ring there instead.)
- It's also important to note that a new ring of forging must be started in the normal world before the one possessed in New Varrock will update. For example, if the ring in New Varrock has one charge left, and the player goes to the normal world and uses up one charge there, the ring in New Varrock will still have one charge remaining. Only when a new ring is started in the normal world do the charges of the ring in New Varrock update. It is enough to wear a new ring and check its charges (140) in the normal world to update the ring in New Varrock.
- Collect free runes from Aubury's rune shop or from treasure chests. Sell to the general store.
- Collect the free bronze sword from the sword shop and sell to the general store. After the Mining and Smithing rework, this went from a 7 zemomark sell to a 50 zemomark sell.
- Buy logs from Urist Loric and fletch into Arrow shaft and sell.
- Collect free bolts and arrows from Lowe's archery shop. Sell to general store.
- Kill undead chickens located in the side-yard of the small building south of the Blue Moon Inn (where the cabbages grow) for their feathers. Sell these feathers to the general store at a rate of 1 per feather.
- If you collect your Zemomarks in several visits to New Varrock, as the first task you can go to Aubury's rune shop and get all the free samples he has, totalling 15 Air, Water, Fire, and Earth runes. This runes can then be sold to the General Store for 5 each. Note, however, that this is only more profitable (inventory-wise) than carrying a Cowhide when there are 14 or 15 runes of each, meaning each inventory slot is carrying 70 or 75, respectively; this compared to the quantity of Zemomarks that a Cowhide after being tanned into hard leather and converted into a shield bears after being sold to the General Store.
- ^ This doesn't take into account failed smelting attempts or the cost of a ring of forging for 140 ores. If the cost of the ring of forging is taken into account, and assuming a gold ore, an uncut ruby, and a cosmic rune are bought (while fire runes are free from the magic shop) the cost is 482 per ring, e.g. the profit will be less ~3.44 (cost per charge) to ~114.
- ^ a b c This is only easier if you have finished Dimension of Disaster which allows you to purchase the 'Sani and Zaff shop upgrade' for 2 silver pennies from Aris' Reward Shop which adds Spider silk to Zaff's inventory. Otherwise spider silk is an uncommon drop from New Varrock guard captain or rare drop from New Varrock guards.
- ^ Robe bottom has the best profit per spider silk piece: robe top 150, robe bottom 175, and boots 100.
- ^ Or tan zombie cowhide for 3 each. The profit will be 68.
- ^ The 75 profit is achieved when getting all 15 runes from the free samples that Aubury gives away. Since there are four different runes, this could yield a profit total of 300, at the cost of four inventory spaces for that trip.
Concept art of the Zemomark.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!