The Zamorak staff is a type of God staff that is obtained after completing the Mage Arena minigame. Like the other God staves, this staff requires level 60 Magic to acquire and therefore wield.
To get it, Kolodion the mage in all of his different forms, must be defeated. Either speak to the Chamber guardian after worshiping the statue of Zamorak or buy one off the Chamber guardian for 80,000.
The Zamorak staff has a special attack which may be used after the Divine Storm spell has been cast at least 100 times on the mages in the Mage Arena.
Neither the God staves nor the God capes have any effect whatsoever on Divine Storm.
The Zamorak staff's special attack, Flames of Zamorak
The Zamorak staff's special attack is Flames of Zamorak. On a successful hit it costs 25% adrenaline and deals 140%-300% ability damage. It also lowers the target's Magic level by 5% of the previous level. Furthermore, the target becomes 5% less accurate in all combat styles for 1 minute. In order to unlock and use this special attack, the Divine Storm spell must be cast 100 times on the mages inside the Mage Arena.
As the lowering of the opponent's Magic levels also reduces the opponent's hit chance, it is useful on all opponents who use primarily the Magic combat style and hit high, e.g. Kerapac, the bound, especially the Hardmode version (where you have 100% accuracy while on a Nodon slayer task or using a Berserker aura variant, and as such don't need the Guthix staff's defense reduction). Note that certain bosses have an overload-like effect on them at all times, restoring reduced stats periodically. Vorago, Araxxor, and Beastmaster Durzag are among such bosses, and as such they are not affected much by this weapon's special attack.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 27 January 2020 (Update):
- Special attacks from the God Staves will no longer visually stall you when moving after casting.
patch 4 January 2016 (Update):
- Players can now unlock all of the god staff specials if they only unlocked some before the Evolution of Combat update.
- patch 27 October 2014 (Update):
- God staves will now turn into coins when their carrier is killed in PvP.
- patch 7 July 2014 (Update):
- God staves now show the correct Magic level to wield them.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- God staves are now long enough when used in a combat stance.
- patch 15 March 2010 (Update):
- Fixed a graphical issue with the player hitting their head on the staff while running.
- On 15 March 2010, the position in which the player character holds the staff was changed. In the patch notes, Jagex stated, "Hopefully, you won’t now hit your head on your Zamorak staff when running."
- Before the arrival of the Evolution of Combat, this staff was used to cast Flames of Zamorak spell, but this was removed from the game and replaced with the Divine Storm spell. With the release of Legacy Mode, the spell has returned as the weapon's special attack.