Zaff is a mage who runs Zaff's Superior Spellcasting in Varrock, located in the northwestern corner of Varrock Square. He has an apprentice called Naff, a young boy who resides in the shop with him.
He is a member of the Varrock Palace Secret Guard and acts as one of Rat Burgiss's contacts. He uses his expertise in magic to protect King Roald. He is capable of using teleportation magic and dispelling enchantments, such as during Surok Magis' attempt to mind control King Roald. However, he has little combat experience and flees from battles. He placed a magic block on the library in Varrock Palace, trapping Surok Magis in the library, and also created a ring which could be used to summon him.
In New Varrock, his shop sells mage armour and materials to craft mage armour in addition to staves.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 20 December 2010 (Update):
- Zaff has decided that he will talk to players on free worlds.
- patch 2 June 2009 (Update):
- Properly fixed Zaff's options on free worlds.
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Zaff should no longer hang around for a while if you've wandered off or teleported away.
- patch 17 March 2009 (Update):
- Zaff will now be more flexible when you're trying to request battlestaves.
- The update to remove member's only options from free-to-play NPCs on 27 May 2009 also accidentally removed all of Zaff's options except "Examine".
- When Zaff used to sell battlestaves and you asked to purchase them, Zaff asked how many you wanted. If you said "0" or "9,999,999,999," he would take on a puzzled expression and said, "Um... right."
- Prior to 20 December 2010, Zaff did not have the "talk-to" option in free-to-play.
- ^ Zaff's instructions, page 1, "What Lies Below", RuneScape. "Be warned - Though I am skilled with magic, I am no fighter! Should you summon me too early I will have to teleport us out of danger!"