Yew trees are one of a variety of trees that are interactive scenery found in various places. Players with level 60 Woodcutting can chop a yew tree to obtain 175 experience and yew logs, which are used in Fletching or Firemaking. The respawn rate of yew trees is 1 minute and 29 seconds. As with all trees above normal trees and achey trees, yews can yield multiple logs when chopped. Yew trees are marked with a rare tree mark on the mini-map.
The two closest locations from yew trees to the nearest bank in free-to-play are the Jolly Boar Inn and Lumbridge Market.
- ^ 3 west of the bank, 3 in the south-east corner
- ^ 8 if you count the one above the beehives
For members, one of the best spots is the yew grove west of the Catherby bank due to a close bank and a high number of trees. If one completes the Legends' Quest, the Legends' Guild bank becomes usable. The three yew trees just outside the guild are rarely cut, making for fast cutting and efficient banking. Another good place to chop yews is in the Tree Gnome Stronghold, because of the nearby spirit tree teleport to the Grand Exchange. Another common place to cut yews at is Melzar's Maze, as you can set your house at Rimmington, teleport there, and then, when your inventory is full, use the explorer's ring's cabbage teleport to get back to Draynor. Another good way to do this is to bank at the deposit box in the customs office in Rimmington (shows up as "locker" in game), but you can only do so if you have started the quest Rocking Out. Finally, another good place is in Seer's Village, next to the Camelot castle. There are four yew trees, and a bank nearby.
Upon completion of the Swan Song quest players can fairly economically visit a patch of 9 yew trees starting just south of Kathy Corkat curving around the north side of Eagle's Peak. From the Piscatoris Fishing Colony bank, one can visit Kathy and she will row you down the river to the yew trees. Once you have a full inventory of logs, take the boat back to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony and bank. Upon completion of the Deadliest Catch quest this becomes the fastest and best place to cut yews with a deposit chest only a couple of clicks away to the north. A trip in one direction takes about 36 seconds from bank to cutting the tree, so though it provides an uncrowded and plentiful grove of yews other methods such as the Edgeville or Catherby yews may be faster.
- Bird's nests have a chance of falling out of this tree.
At level 24 Hunter, wearing a strung rabbit foot gives a better chance of getting a drop.
At level 80 Woodutting, wearing a tree-shaking scrimshaw will increase the chance by 300%.
At level 80 Woodutting, wearing a superior tree-shaking scrimshaw will increase the chance by 400%.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- ninja 16 October 2017 (Update):
- Yew trees are now correctly marked as non-members in the Woodcutting skill guide.
- patch 20 October 2014 (Update):
- The top of a yew tree in the Lumbridge church graveyard is no longer hidden by the 'Remove Roof' setting.
- patch 19 September 2012 (Update):
- A yew tree has been returned to a certain training spot in the Tree Gnome Stronghold.
- A yew tree is a coniferous tree, similar to a pine tree. Previous graphic models in RuneScape looked more like broad-leaved trees.
- A strong yew could be found in Lumbridge Swamp, which provides a shortcut for members to the western shores of Al Kharid. Strong trees cannot be cut. With the update on 15 February 2011, the tree looks more like a giant dead tree and has been renamed to strong tree.
- On 4 April 2011, all trees from Falador's south entrance to Rimmington received a graphical update, including yew trees. These trees also gained a 10% higher chance of receiving a bird's nest. Additionally, another yew tree was added south of the cabbage farm, next to the already-existing yew tree.
- In real life yew trees are sometimes found in graveyards, planted next to the entrances. This was done to keep cattle and deer out of the graveyard as yew trees (including the wood, leaves, and berries) are all toxic, and animals keep away from them.
- When elder trees were released, one of the 4 yew trees near Rimmington was replaced with an elder tree.
- Most yew trees are cut from the trunk, but in Prifddinas, the yew trees are cut from branches that stick out of the trunk into the city's platform.
- Yew trees found inside Zanaris still use the old models, whilst elsewhere they have been updated.
Yew trees behind Varrock Palace
Players in Catherby chopping yew trees
The choppable yew tree found in the elven city of Prifddinas
A yew tree in Runescape 2