Yak (player-owned farm)
Yaks are livestock that can be raised and bred at the player-owned farm once unlocked at level 71 Farming. They can be kept in large pens, which can be built at level 60 Construction, or the breeding pen, which can be built at level 55 Construction. Large pens have a capacity of three animals each, and breeding pens have a capacity of four animals. Yaks can be obtained by breeding, as a rare drop from killing yaks, or by making pack yak pouches. The large pens will need to be unlocked from the Farmers' Market before being able to build the pen.
In total, there are three different breeds, including the shiny sacred yak.
Like all farm animals, they may have up to three traits, which determine their selling price in beans to buyers, among other effects, and can be sold on the Grand Exchange in their unchecked form. Once they have been checked, however they may only be traded directly between players or sold to Prezleek, the yak buyer. Six (12 with Senior Master Farmer rank in Farming reputation) can be sold every three days.
Perks[edit | edit source]
Placing an elder yak of any breed in a large pen with a farm totem enables the perk "Nigel's Gift", giving a 2% chance of finding a clue scroll when checking the health of, or picking the last crop from, a farming patch. If this is done in two pens, the chance is increased to 2.5%.
Yak breeds[edit | edit source]
There are three yak breeds in the breeding log.
|Breed||Obtaining[b 1]||Produce[b 2]||Produce GE price|
2 × Hair (82)
2 × Yak milk (72,453) (only female)
2 × Hair (82)
2 × Yak tuft (285)
|Sacred yak (shiny)||
||2 × Yak tuft (285)
Sealed clue scroll (untradeable)
Animal stats[edit | edit source]
|Eats||Flowers, fruits, vegetables|
|Produce [?]||Varies between breeds|
|Muck||Manure and green manure|
|6.67 hours (33.35 hours)|
|Breeding success chance (%)||60%|
(from stage to stage)
|N/A||13.43 hours||23.53 hours||30.23 hours|
|Growth check Farming XP|
|Cured disease Farming XP|
|Base sell price in beans|
|Buyer||Prezleek (yak buyer)|
|Last spawn(wrong?)||June 20 2021 00:00 UTC ago|
|Next spawn(wrong?)||June 23 2021 00:00 UTC|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Barooooo! ( 10) – Adopt a baby yak.
- You Had a Yak ( 0) – Complete all yak breeds.
- Yaksworn ( 0) – Successfully breed a yak with the Ravensworn trait.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the perk refers to Nigel the yak.
- A large amount of the names that Yaks are references to various differing sources.
- Several possible names for yaks are derived from Native American languages, including Talulah (Cherokee), Cochise (Apache), Winona (Dakota Sioux), and Kaya (possibly Hopi or Nez-Perce) Despite this, real-world yaks come from the Himalaya mountains in Asia.
- Castimir is a reference to Castimir, a mage in the RuneScape novels who had a yak.
- Nigel and Nigella are references to Nigel, the name of Zaida's yak.
- Baroo is the name of a Pack Yak that features frequently in the comics of RuneScape user Prezleek, whose character gives their name to the Prezleek NPC.
- Brains is a reference to Brains the Farming skilling pet.