The XP tracker (formerly known as the XP Counter or XP ticker) was originally released by Jagex to members along with the Bonus XP Weekend on 12 March 2010. Exactly one month later on 12 April 2010, it was released to all players. It did not get very much attention because it was publicized in the same announcement that unveiled the highly-anticipated skill, Dungeoneering.
Access and placement[edit | edit source]
The settings for the XP tracker are now under the "Metrics" tab of the RuneMetrics menu. The on-screen location of the XP tracker can be moved by pressing L (or the corresponding control if it has been changed) and clicking and dragging the window with the mouse.
Use[edit | edit source]
When opened, up to three counters will be shown on screen. Each displays the amount of experience a player has received since they last reset that counter. Logging in or out does not affect the counter. Every time a player has the counter out and receives experience in one of the tracked skills, the additional experience will show up briefly, and the total in that skill will be updated correspondingly.
To reset a counter, click on the "Reset Counter to Zero" option at the bottom. This is not reversible.
Updates[edit | edit source]
- The button for the XP Counter was originally a circle with the text "XP+". On 13 April 2010, a day after the main release, the XP Counter icon was changed slightly and the "XP+" was simply changed to "XP".
- On 25 May 2010, Jagex changed the XP Counter reset button and made it so that a player had to right-click the XP Counter button and choose "Reset XP Total". This cleared up previous frustration, as players were able to unintentionally reset their counter by an accidental left click on the box.
- On 25 August 2010, the font for the XP Counter was updated.
- On 24 November 2010, commas were added to the XP Counter making the shown experience easier to read.
- An update increased the allotted counter space as digits of experience increased.
- On 22 November 2011, as part of the RuneScape Revolution Update, the XP Counter button received a graphical update (but only when viewed with Resizeable or Fullscreen modes). The new style had a more metallic and modern feel.
- On 16 January 2012, the XP Counter was revamped. Two optional counters were added, which allowed players to setup three separate counters to track total XP and/or XP gained in a specific skill. The counter box was removed, and the graphics and layout of the counter were changed.
- The release of Runescape 3 changed how the xp track was accessed, but the overall function remained the same.
- On 4 July 2016, the XP tracker was discontinued and replaced with a background-less version of the RuneMetrics tab.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 22 February 2016 (Update):
- Everyone has access to the free version which provides basic XP trackers and the drop log. On top of this, there is also a more detailed version called RuneMetrics Pro. This level of the service allows you to check historical data and access more advanced analytical tools such as XP-per-hour, time to next level, and damage-per-minute counters.
- ninja 15 December 2014 (Update):
- The XP display pop-up can now be toggled between level and skill based targets in the interface settings window.
- patch 15 September 2014 (Update):
- The XP tracker will now remember whether it was hidden or not when the player last logged out.
- update 12 April 2010 (Update):
- We've added a button left of the minimap which you can toggle to show the total XP you have gained during your login session. After your feedback of this feature from the Bonus XP Weekend, this XP counter is here to stay!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Jagex originally had no priority to release the counter, but many players made threads on the official RuneScape forums for the XP Counter to remain after the Bonus XP weekend. Jagex then confirmed that they would look into releasing the feature.
- Before 25 May 2010, the Alt Text, when the mouse was hovering over the XP Counter icon, was "Click". This did not tell anything useful about the XP Counter itself. Other buttons have more informative Alt Text, such as "World Map" and "Turn run mode on". Afterwards, the text was changed to "Open XP Total", and later on, "Toggle XP Total". The text is currently "Toggle XP Display".
- The allotted space for the XP Counter seems to only be 8 digits. Before an update, if a player received over 99,999,999 experience, the ninth digit was placed over the colon, near the right side of the "P". Now, the allotted space simply increases.
- When the experience on the counter reaches over 214,748,364.7 experience, the counter will display the word "Lots!". A higher number cannot be shown because RuneScape uses 32-bit signed integers, which cannot store numbers higher than 2,147,483,647. Since experience is stored to the tenth of an experience point, the maximum experience on the counter is one-tenth of this.
- There is currently a glitch where the XP counter quickly shows a very large amount of experience (usually the total xp earned in that skill) upon opening. This may happen for one or many skills. No experience is gained or lost when this occurs.
- The XP Counter is together with the Stats tab on fixed screen the only interface where the total level icon is still .