|Witch's House (#20)|
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Paul Gower|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Witch's House is a quest involving Harvey, a little boy whose ball had been lost in the garden of an unpleasant local witch, Nora T. Hagg. You are asked to retrieve it, having to figure out how to proceed in Nora's house along the way.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Harvey west of Falador.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Innocence[edit | edit source]
To start, head west of Falador past the agility shortcut in the wall. Talk to Harvey there, who tells you that he accidentally kicked his ball over into the witch's garden nearby and asks you to retrieve it for him.
After accepting the quest, head west to the front door of the house just north of Harvey, where Nora T. Hagg lives. Search the pot north of the door to find a key, and enter the house.
Safety first[edit | edit source]
Inside, you'll find a diary on the table, which speaks of an experiment and how Professor Oddenstein installed security systems in the cellar and the garden door and guides you on how to pass them. It also mentions a secret compartment in the fountain.
Go down into the basement and search the nearby crate for a pair of leather gloves; you may need to search the box more than once to obtain them. While they are equipped, go through the metal gate and search the cupboard to find a magnet.
If you are not wearing the leather gloves, flame gloves, safety gloves, void gloves, ghostly gloves, penance gloves, or Bandos gloves, you will be hit for one fifth of your maximum life points, and the door will not open. "Armoured gloves" such as slayer gloves or gloves from Recipe for Disaster, or even hard leather gloves will hit you for 120 damage, lunar gloves will hit you for 150 damage and ice gloves will hit you for 190 damage. The player can be killed by touching the gate repeatedly.
Go back upstairs, pick up the cheese from the side table and go into the small, southern-most room. Use the cheese on the mouse holes on the eastern wall and a mouse appears. Next, use the magnet on the mouse, who then passes through a mechanism, unlocking the garden door. Be careful to right click "Use" the cheese and not eat it! However, if you accidentally do, the cheese will respawn on the table.
Soundlessly[edit | edit source]
Once you pass the unlocked door, you'll see the witch patrolling up and down the garden.
- You cannot walk across the witch's path, so you must go around the garden to reach the fountain at the end.
- The trick is to use the hedges so she cannot detect you. Simply hide behind a hedge, and only move when the witch's back is turned to you.
- If you stand at the corner of a hedge, the witch may see you, hence it is advised to position yourself at the centre.
- If the witch catches you, she will teleport you outside the house. However, the garden door will remain unlocked.
Make your way all the way around until you reach the fountain. Search the fountain and you will find the key to the shed. If you get spotted by the witch with the key from the fountain, you will need to repeat this process to collect another one to open the shed.
A role model[edit | edit source]
Make your way to the shed and use the key on it. Attempt to take the ball, and a Witch's experiment will appear. Do not try to take the ball again before you have killed all the experiments, because if you do your combat stats will be decreased.
Each time you kill the experiment, it changes to a stronger form. You will have to kill the experiment a total of four times before it is eventually defeated, the first stage being a chicken (level 16), then a giant spider (level 23), then a bear (level 37) and finally a wolf (level 49). (note: the forms have 2k, 4k, 6k, and 8k hp)
Once you have killed the experiment in all of its forms, take the ball and head out.
- You can get Nora T. Hagg to teleport you to the entrance of the building for faster access to Harvey. You will not lose the ball.
- You can teleport yourself out once you have got the ball, without losing it.
- If you are caught, you do not need to obtain the key from the fountain again - the shed door remains unlocked. The door to the garden will also remain open - you do not need to place another magnet on a mouse.
Finally, after escaping the house with the ball, give it back to Harvey.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 4 quest points
- 6,325 experience
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Witch's House ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Witch's House is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- Players can no longer kill the shapeshifter at the end of the 'Witch's House' quest more than once.
- patch 25 September 2017 (Update):
- The 'ladder' in the Witch's House is now correctly referred to as 'stairs'.
- patch 28 September 2015 (Update):
- The extra rocks in the water to the west of the witch's house have been crushed and sent away.
- patch 8 December 2014 (Update):
- The combat level for the toughest opponent in the Witch's House quest journal has been corrected.
- patch 1 December 2014 (Update):
- The drawers in the witch's house will no longer change colour when opened.
- patch 2 October 2012 (Update):
- The map hint that points to the start of Witch's House has been corrected.
- patch 4 January 2012 (Update):
- Some additional information has been added to the quest journal for Witch's House at certain stages.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This was one of the initial quests to be released for RuneScape members.
- Trying to enter the shed while another player is fighting the experiment will yield the message "I'd better not go in there yet... I think I can hear someone inside!"
- On 11 September 2017, Witch's House was made available to free players. Before this, it was exclusive to members.
- If the camera is angled correctly, a bed and a pair of glasses can be seen under the stairs to the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US]. This is a reference to Harry Potter as the main protagonist, Harry, lives under the stairs and is also a wizard.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|