Winter Weekends (2012)
- Not to be confused with the Winter events.
|Winter Weekends (2012)|
|Release date||1 December 2012 (Update)|
|End date||30 December 2012 (Update)|
|Head developer||Unknown edit|
|Succeeded by||Winter Weekends (2014)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Winter Weekends is a series of events exclusive to members which was held during December 2012. There were five segments, for each weekend in December. It is notable that these "weekends" only include Saturday and Sunday, unlike some weekend events before which started on Friday and/or ended on Monday.
The Festive aura was released for the month of December in conjunction with Winter Weekends, and its bonus could work during each event.
Events[edit | edit source]
Weekend 1: Double Drops[edit | edit source]
1–2 December 2012
Drop quantities of or from various things doubled. They included:
|Individual bosses and monsters||Activities and areas|
Weekend 2: Minigames[edit | edit source]
- Castle Wars - double tickets
- Soul Wars - double Zeal points
- Fishing Trawler - double Fishing XP and double items (excludes glistening shell and shimmering shell)
- Pest Control - double Commendation points
- Big Chinchompa - double Competence points
- Evil Tree - double item rewards
- Shooting Star - double item rewards
Some J-Mods hosted sessions. Meet-up locations were the minigame lobbies. Schedule below:
|Saturday 8 December (Mod Mat K)||Sunday 9 December (Mod Edu)|
Weekend 3: Dungeoneering[edit | edit source]
15–16 December 2012
Double Dungeoneering experience and tokens.
Additionally, there was an XP-gain contest. 25 Squeal of Fortune spins were awarded to the top three players who gained the most Dungeoneering experience during the weekend. Entrants were required to post in the official thread for their experience to be tracked, and winners were to be announced the following week. Official friends chat for those seeking groups was "RS DG". Experience gained in the form of lamps, promissory notes, and token conversions did not count.
Weekend 4: Slayer and Fishing[edit | edit source]
Bonus was only available on the surface and not in Dungeoneering.
Weekend 5: Snowman Raids[edit | edit source]
29–30 December 2012
Snowmen invaded various areas, and loot was available to players who participated in stopping them. Snow warriors, snow rangers and snow mages were the snowmen available to kill.
Invasions took place on the hour at one (not all) of the below locations: Raids lasted for 15 minutes, with the location announced via the game news feed at the start of the raid (on the hour). "Valuable" drops seemed only to be available once per raid.
They cycled through the locations in this order:
- Varrock, south of the Grand Exchange
- Falador, near the south gate
- Lumbridge, outside the cow field
- Ardougne market
- Camelot, near the teleport spot
- Gnome Stronghold, outside the Grand Tree (near the Spirit tree)
Mod Lods hosted the following sessions:
|Saturday 29 December||Sunday 30 December|
Possible loot[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High alch value|
|Dragon battleaxe (m)||1||Rare||120,313||120,000|
|Dragon halberd (m)||1||Rare||195,654||195,000|
|Dragon dart (m)||100; 500||Rare||15,400-77,000||30,000-150,000|
|Dragon mace (m)||1||Rare||28,992||30,000|
|Dragon longsword (m)||1||Rare||57,996||60,000|
|Potato cactus (m)||2 (noted)||Common||2,618||0|
|Oak plank (m)||20; 24 (noted)||Uncommon||7,820-9,384||3,000-3,600|
|Mahogany plank (m)||40; 80; 100 (noted)||Uncommon[d 1]||32,480-81,200||36,000-90,000|
|Chocolate bar||3 (noted)||Common||984||36|
|Swamp tar (m)||10||Common||2,360||0|
|Pure essence||20; 30; 40 (noted)||Common||420-840||40-80|
|Air rune||100; 500; 1,000||Common||4,100-41,000||300-3,000|
|Dragonstone (m)||1; 3||Uncommon||8,706-26,118||6,000-18,000|
|Prayer potion (4)||1–25||Uncommon||2,734-68,350||114-2,850|
Reception[edit | edit source]
Many players were displeased with the snowman raids events for reasons including the fact they were combat-based, often very crowded, and allowed use of Dwarf multicannons which were widely exploited in the hope of getting the first hit to get the drop, but they actually did not count to the player who owned the cannon. The usage of cannons also caused much lag in places where the Snowmen spawned during the weekend.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Raw salmon incorrectly gave 150xp instead of 140xp for a short time during the Double Slayer and Fishing XP weekend. This was fixed several minutes after the release.
- Due to an error at the start of the Week 4 - Double Fishing and Slayer XP event, free-to-play players were able to benefit from double fishing XP for approximately two hours, at which point the mistake was fixed.
- There was a glitch in the Lumbridge spawn where multiple snowmen spawned on the bridge on top of each other.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Mike. "Winter Weekends FAQ." 28 November 2012. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ The RuneScape Team. "Winter Weekends: Double Drops." 30 November 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Mike. "Winter Weekends:Minigames." 5 December 2012. Events - "One Off" Forums.
- ^ Mod Mike. "Winter Weekends: Dungeoneering." 10 December 2012. Events - "One Off" Forums.
- ^ The RuneScape Team. "Winter Weekends: Double Dungeoneering XP for Members." 14 December 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ The RuneScape Team. "Winter Weekends: Double Slayer and Fishing XP for Members." 21 December 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ The RuneScape Team. "Community Round-Up 26/12." 26 December 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ a b Mod Mike. "Winter Weekends: Snowmen!." 23 December 2012. Events - "One Off" Forums.