Strategies for WildyWyrm
Overview[edit | edit source]
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
The WildyWyrm has only 3 attacks:
- Ranged AoE: the Wyrm will fire a large slow-moving fireball that targets a random spot on the ground, and upon landing the fireball will split into multiple smaller fireballs that will then hit the player for up to 2k damage.
- Magic fireball: the Wyrm will target a player and fire a small fast-moving fireball. Upon hitting a player, if there are any other players within a small radius then the fireball will spread to one of the nearby players for up to 3-4 players.
- Burrow: the Wyrm will burrow into the ground, pulling everybody within a 8-tile distance in. After about 3 seconds it will pop out and deal heavy typeless damage to everybody still standing at where it burrowed.
Preparation[edit | edit source]
It is highly recommended to get the Stone of Jas damage buf before fighting the WildyWyrm. This can be done by visiting the Glacor Cave with the Fairy Ring code DKQ. It is also highly recommended to get the Bonfire and Spa HP boosts.
Locating the WildyWyrm[edit | edit source]
There are two methods to locate the WildyWyrm:
- Using the Wilderness Sword, which will give a direction to the WildyWyrm if one exists on the current world
- Opening the World Map, which will show its location
Killing the WildyWyrm[edit | edit source]
Recommended Gear[edit | edit source]
Hunting the WildyWyrm takes place entirely within deep Wilderness, and as such DO NOT bring anything you are not willing to lose. Most FCs require at least a tier 80 weapon and tier 65 armour.
- Weapon: Noxious scythe > Superior Vesta's spear
- Armour: Full Elder Rune
- Weapon: Noxious longbow > Wyvern crossbow > Royal crossbow
- Armour: Death lotus equipment > Morrigan's equipment > Dinosaurhide armour > Royal d'hide equipment
- Greater Dazing Shot unlocked
- Weapon: Noxious staff > Superior Zuriel's staff
- Armour: Seasinger's equipment > Ganodermic armour > Superior skeletal armour
- Additional items: Guthix staff, runes for Vulnerability
- Super restores
- Wilderness sword
- A method of teleporting at level 30 wilderness (Wilderness sword 4 / dragonstone jewellery)
- Leviathan ring
- Phoenix necklace
- Extra familiar pouch
- Bandos godbook
Roles[edit | edit source]
The WildyWyrm is different from other bosses in that it does NOT respond to Provoke or Incite; instead, it chooses its targets of attack randomly regardless of threat generated by the player. As such, there is no tanking role; all players must tank a few attacks depending on who the WildyWyrm attacks.
- Magic debuff: responsible for maintaining Vulnerability and Claws of Guthix (Guthix staff special attack)
- Melee debuff: responsible for maintaining Quake and, if possible, the Statius's warhammer special attack with an Essence of Finality amulet
- DPS: everybody else. Using Ranged is highly recommended.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
As the boss does not have any special mechanics to speak of, just use a standard DPS rotation to kill the WildyWyrm as quickly as possible. Some things to note:
- Since the magic attack deals the most damage, camping Deflect Magic is highly recommended. Advanced players may choose to camp Soul Split and flick protection prayers when an attack may hit them.
- Since most people in the group will use a 2-handed ranged weapon, having unlocked is helpful as is the strongest threshold available to ranged players after when the Wyrm has all 10 stacks of Puncture.
- The WildyWyrm cannot be attacked when it burrows into the ground. As such, use defensive abilities like to build adrenaline when in burrows. If done perfectly you should be able to use two defensive abilities every time it burrows and force a lossless autoattack when it surfaces.
- It will take longer to build to 50% adrenaline to use a thershold ability after using a damage-boosting ultimate since most will not bring a Ring of vigour to conserve 10% adrenaline and cannot be used in the Wilderness.
How to hunt in a group[edit | edit source]
Most FCs hunt the WildyWyrm in "waves". This is because the WildyWyrm takes a long time to respawn, so FCs will only assemble a group to hunt when there are more than about 10 wyrms alive.
To determine which worlds contain a live WildyWyrm, simply hop to every world and use the Wilderness Sword location option to check if the WildyWyrm is alive on that world. After obtaining the list of worlds with a live Wyrm, simply hop to each world and kill them one at a time.