White Wolf Mountain
White Wolf Mountain is a natural region between Taverley and Catherby, and as a border between the kingdoms of Asgarnia and Kandarin. The mountain itself is very dangerous to low-level players, however there are a variety of ways to go around. Once a player has completed the Fishing Contest Quest, a tunnel that travels underneath the mountain becomes accessible (although it requires them to cross the mountain otherwise at least once). This tunnel features a cart station that leads to Keldagrim. There is also various affordable teleportation jewellery that can land players beyond the mountain, including games necklace and ring of duelling, and a boat from Port Sarim to Catherby; Catherby has a lodestone so the mountain only needs to be 'crossed' once.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
To traverse the exterior of the mountain:
- Travel via the Gnome glider network to the Sindarpos location, which takes you to the east of the cave that leads to Catherby as well as a Hidey-hole location for one of the Treasure trail (hard) emote clues. Completion of The Grand Tree quest is required to use the gliders. To reach the cave entrance that leads back to Taverley, run north.
- Home teleport to the Taverley lodestone then run south and then north around the bank. Follow the path past the Land of Snow portal (used in the Violet is Blue quest) to your west until your reach a cave entrance. Entering the cave at the end of the path will take you to the area with wolves, Gnome glider, and cave entrance to Catherby.
- Home teleport to the Catherby lodestone then run east past the fishing area on the beach then north. Follow that path to the cave entrance that will take you to the area with wolves, Gnome glider, and cave entrance to Taverley.
To traverse the interior of the mountain (requires completion of Fishing Contest quest):
- To go from Taverley to Catherby: Enter the cave entrance directly to the north of the Taverley Player-owned house portal. Following the underground passage will lead to a cave exist just east of the Catherby farming patch.
- To go from Catherby to Taverley: Enter the cave entrance to the east of the Catherby farming patch. Follow the underground path which exits just north of the Taverley Player-owned house portal.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Throughout the White Wolf Mountain, level 8 Adolescent White wolves, level 16 wolves and level 30 white wolves roam about, aggressively attacking low-level players. A single level 43 Big Wolf also lurks about, proving deadly to some lower levelled players. These wolves are a convenient source of wolf bones used in various quests. Some players may set up a cannon at the peak of the mountain as it will hit many wolves on the mountain and very few can actually attack the players back. In the Ice Queen's Lair underneath this mountain and near its multiple entrances level 54 ice warriors, level 51 ice giants, and level 42 ice spiders can be found. At the end of the cave network is the Ice Queen.
Quests[edit | edit source]
Ways of getting around[edit | edit source]
By foot[edit | edit source]
Starting just north of Taverley bank, start going northwest, ascending the mountainside. You will see a fork. To the left is the Land of Snow portal; go right and follow the ledge, go past Grimgnash, until a cave is reached. Enter the cave to reach a higher part of the mountain. Go east, then south when you see ice warriors, until another cave entrance to the west can be seen (you will come across wolves and white wolves on the way). Entering that too will make the player appear on a lower elevation level. Walk south-east until Catherby beach is reached. If starting from Catherby, just move the opposite way.
Boat[edit | edit source]
The simplest and safest (if slightly expensive alternative) is to go to the eastern area of Port Sarim where there's a collection of ships. One ship will run a trading company and will offer to 'charter' the player to a port of their choice. Taking the trip to Catherby will get the player directly on the west or member side of White Wolf Mountain and will cost around 1,000 coins - however there is a lodestone in the area, so it only needs to be paid once before activating the lodestone and having a direct crossing from anywhere in RuneScape.
Shortcuts[edit | edit source]
Agility shortcut[edit | edit source]
There is a mithril grapple Agility shortcut located at the entrance of the mountain (when coming from Catherby) that requires 35 Strength, 35 Ranged, 32 Agility, and the completion of the Fishing Contest quest. This shortcut, however, can only be used when travelling from Catherby to Taverley.
Hidey-hole[edit | edit source]
Tunnel shortcut[edit | edit source]
The Fishing Contest quest also unlocks a two-way underground passage that has no skill requirements that is little different in length to the above-ground route but does not have wolves and is safe for low level players.
There is also a dwarven bar, with Dwarvern stouts on the tables for free, which has the following NPCs:
- Holoy - Runs a Crossbow shop
- Khorvak - A dwarven engineer
- Rohak - After the player saves him from the Culinaromancer in Recipe for Disaster.
- Captain Ninto - A drunk gnome who is a possible customer in the Gnome Restaurant minigame and also is involved in an anagram clue scroll.
Teleportation[edit | edit source]
To lower level players who are not yet capable of teleportation or fending off the creatures of White Wolf Mountain, the passing may seem impossible. However Magic tablets can be used by anyone to teleport to different locations past the mountain, such as Camelot and it is possible to use a charter ship to reach any of the cities on the other side. Players can also teleport using the lodestone network after activating the Taverley or Seers' Village lodestones.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- The screen will no longer fade to black when trying to enter the cave on white wolf mountain on a F2P world.
- patch 26 February 2018 (Update):.
- Existing and future White Wolf Mountain scan clues have now been replaced with Menaphos scan clues. These have a range of 30 paces.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The White Wolf Mountain was reworked on 30 August 2016.
- Although free players cannot enter the cave on the eastern side to travel to the summit, attempting to do so will cause the screen to darken shortly as if the player went through. When the screen clears again, the player is still in the same spot and gets the chatbox message 'To go here you must login to a members' server.' This has yet to be fixed.