While Guthix Sleeps
|While Guthix Sleeps (#147)|
|Release date||26 November 2008 (Update)|
|Official series||Mahjarrat Mysteries #15|
|Quest series||The Rise of Lucien|
|Start area||Kandarin North|
|Combat||NPC combat level 110–119|
|Quest create ID||145|
|Quest timeline override sequence||1|
|Infobox • Talk page|
While Guthix Sleeps was the first grandmaster quest in RuneScape. It is the sequel to Temple of Ikov. Prior to its release, various teasers and hints towards this quest were released in a multitude of different content, as well as in website features, over the course of nearly two years.
It was for a long time considered the longest and hardest quest in RuneScape. Although some newer quests, such as Nomad's Elegy or The Lord of Vampyrium, are generally considered to be more difficult in terms of combat, While Guthix Sleeps is still regarded as having one of the most immersive storylines in the game and is often claimed to be one of the greatest quests released.
Introduction[edit | edit source]
|“||Movario licked his dry, cracked lips, not taking his eyes off the ancient book in front of him. His hand, acting almost like a separate entity, scratched spidery notes onto parchment. He knew who V was, but the references to the stone intrigued him. Fragmentary thoughts were gathering, forming up together into something important – but something was missing, some key detail. With trembling fingers he turned the yellowed page.
“The stone was clearly not of this world...”
A triumphant scratch of Movario's quill tore through the parchment. That was it! After all this time his research was finally bearing fruit!''
The antiquated surroundings of the temple afforded little warmth, and the only luxury was the lone, guttering candle by which he read. The chill still reached inside, but it did not register for Movario as his unyielding research ground on through the days.
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||''The craggy, bearded face of the druid shook with anger as he addressed his congregation: "How safe do you really feel? And are you happy to stand by while 'He' plans to make Gielinor his own?"
''The congregation murmured in apprehension.
''The druid continued, "I, for one, will no longer live in fear: we must act now!"
''There was a commotion outside, and soon a red-faced youth ran in, "Another murder...the tracker...he's been found!"
A power grows in the north, and an efficient spy network reports all that transpires to its master. The long, dark fear buried in the back of everyone's mind is starting to grow. That which was once overlooked has now become hard to ignore.
For what nefarious purpose are there spies in Draynor? Exactly what is Movario looking for in the Lumbridge Swamp caves? What of the ancient power of the Mahjarrat and the dragonkin? Has something been missed? The ancient powers of the gods - where did it come from, and what would happen if a mortal could tap its power?
Any interested parties should contact Radimus Erkle for what may prove to be the most challenging experience of their entire career.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Radimus Erkle at the Legends' Guild, which is located in the north-east of Ardougne. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Very, Very Long|
|Follows events||For full storyline comprehension, completion of the following quests is recommended but not required.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Something fishy[edit | edit source]
To begin, talk to Radimus Erkle, the Grand Vizier of the Legends' Guild (fairy ring blr). He will direct you to Ivy Sophista, a druidess in Taverley, who is planning to lead a mission into Karamja in order to establish a new temple dedicated to Guthix. He will not reveal any information about the mission, saying it is top secret. He informs you of the pass phrase to say to Ivy: "Our friend in common places great faith in totems".
Make your way to Taverley. Ivy is located in a house, west of Pikkupstix. Speak to her and say the correct phrase. She will reveal that there is no plan to construct a Guthixian temple on Karamja and Radimus was led to believe so in order to protect him. She will send you to Thaerisk Cemphier, who can be found upstairs.
Crux Eqal[edit | edit source]
Go up the stairs and speak to Thaerisk. He confirms that the temple is just a cover story by his organisation, Crux Eqal, which was made by druids to combat the threat of the Mahjarrat. Thaerisk explains to you that a certain foe, Lucien, is trying to achieve the status of a God using the Staff of Armadyl, not unlike Zamorak. While gathering info, his spies are mysteriously killed, which is keeping them at a major disadvantage.
As you are talking to him, two assassins will appear and will attempt to kill you. They use range, but aren't much of a threat. Kill both of them and speak to Thaerisk again.
He continues, saying that the Crux Eqal has allied with the Temple Knights and the Guardians of Armadyl to build a strong base against Lucien. Enemy spies have been located in Draynor Village, with a certain Movario, whom Thaerisk wants to gather more information about. To do this, he sends you to talk to the Varrock librarian, Reldo.
Head to the Varrock Library and talk to Reldo. He seems to have explicit knowledge on Movario; Movario speaks with a slight Khazard accent, is interested in traps, housing improvements, and divination - "One thing 'No-Fingers McGrew' was reported to have said was 'solving the puzzle arms the trap' ".
He will then read some of the oldest documents in the archive, in old, barely decipherable languages to obtain Movario's location. During your conversation, he says, "Do I look like an expert tracker?", but suggests using "some jungle creatures that are able to take a scent and track it down." He says to "talk to some sort of jungle hunting expert on the matter."
Jungle Excursion[edit | edit source]
Items recommended: If you have completed As a First Resort and do not have 55 Hunter, it is advised to travel to Oo'glog and take a dip in the mud bath to boost your Hunter level.
Locate the Hunting expert, the most proficient hunter, in the Feldip Hunter area inside her hut. Ways to get to the Hunting expert are teleports to Oo'glog lodestone, South Feldip Hills Teleport, aks fairy ring code or the gnome glider to Gnormadium Avlafrim. There is a guide marker that appears as an i on the map at her location.
When you ask her about animals that could be used to track down scents, she tells you to catch a broav, who are famous for their powerful sense of smell. They are, however, extremely hard to catch, but she pinpoints the only location where a trap can be used. Also, the bait needed to catch a broav are mushrooms from Morytania, which you will receive from the Hunting Expert.
Go to the pit, located west of the Hunting expert, and build a pitfall trap using a log and a knife, and finally bait it with some mort myre fungus. Stand aside and be patient, and eventually, a wild broav will appear and fall in the trap. Dismantle the trap to obtain an unconscious broav in your inventory. Bring your latest catch to the expert, who will then agree to train it to track scents for you.
Bravo Broav![edit | edit source]
As you have obtained a way to track down Movario's scent, you now need an object which belonged to him. Earlier, Reldo had mentioned Movario's Khazard accent, so you might be able to find something there that may lead you to him. Speak to Angor at the bar near Khazard's Fight Arena about Movario, who says that he frequently saw Movario lugging his laundry to a house nearby. A few ways to get there are by using the djp fairy ring code, Yanille lodestone, Tower of Life teleport, or an Ardougne cloak 1 or higher.
Go to the laundry house just west of the Fight Arena with an activated ring of charos, and charm the Khazard launderer into giving you Movario's dirty laundry. Alternatively, you can use 5,000 coins to bribe him (you need to have the coins in your inventory to access the bribe option, so you may have to withdraw gold from your money pouch).
Drop your broav and use the dirty clothes on it. As it can get stuck behind obstacles while following Movario's scent, you should move around the obstacle, use the "call pet" option in the pet interface, and use the shirt on it again to get it to resume tracking. The broav will eventually lead you to the north-westerly building on the battlefield, where Khazard troops and gnomes are engaged in combat. The door is locked, so climb over the broken wall nearby. Call your broav then use the clothes on it again. When you get the message It seems that the Broav has found something interesting with this table, search the table to find a trapdoor leading into a dungeon.
- If you have completed Fight Arena, the guards will not talk to you. In this case, you must talk to the local on the north-west corner of the arena to continue with the quest.
Movario's base[edit | edit source]
- See Movario's base for a map of the dungeon.
No welcome mat?[edit | edit source]
Enter the trapdoor and go through the passage until you reach the crossroads, after which you need to head north along the curving path. At the end of the path are some stairs. Climb down. There is an old battered door at the south end of the corridor. Choosing the option to open the door will not work, as it is locked. Search on the door instead to read the sign.
Look closely at the text "Further Access Prohibited". One of the letters is replaced by the symbol of a rune, which is the rune you must use to unlock the door and disarm the first of its two traps. If you use an incorrect rune, the door will fire an unblockable blast spell at you, causing 250 damage to your life points.
The colour of the blast spell signifies the rune you should have used on the door—blue for water, red for fire, green for earth, white for air, or purple for mind, though the required rune changes after every incorrect try.
|"Prohibited" is the key indicating which rune to use. In the game, only one letter will be affected.|
|Symbol (Letter)||Rune||Blast colour|
After you enter the correct rune, you hear a click. Boost your Thieving level if necessary, then search the door again and you will find a trap to attempt to disarm. If you fail at your attempt or try to open the door without searching it first, it will cause 350 damage and inflict an 88 damage poison condition. Three Elite Khazard guards will also be summoned to attack, and must be killed before attempting to disarm the trap again. Using area-of-effect abilities and/or Burst or Barrage spells from the Ancient Magicks spellbook will make short work of them. Once you successfully disarm the trap, you will be able to go through.
You cannot enter the base with less than 1 kg weight, so un-equip any weight-reducing clothing that you might be wearing.
Electrifying ordeal[edit | edit source]
Once inside, a message appears notifying you that the floor has slightly sunk under your weight.
You find yourself in a large room filled with bookcases, with wires running between them. Searching the painting on the east wall reveals a small room with a pile of weights, drawer and a thermometer. No need to do anything here yet.
To open the cage door, you need to divert all the power from the electrified gate to the wires, using the bookcases. Search the bookshelves until you hear a CLICK. You should search the outer bookcases that have electricity running towards them to disable them. From that bookshelf, follow the wire that faintly pulses to find the next bookshelf to search. Repeat until the electric door opens.
- "You pull the book lever and hear a faint click, but notice nothing in particular happening." means to try another bookcase.
- "You pull a book lever." "CLICK!" means that was the correct bookcase. Follow the lit up wires to the next case.
- "CLICK! Chherrkizzz. You hear a locking sound coming from the large door in the north." means the electrified door has been disabled and can be opened.
The process can reset, so keep trying. Searching/entering the room with the painting may reset the process.
Search the stairs once the door is unlocked to disarm a trap. If you do not disarm it you will be dealt up to 1500 damage points. Climb up.
Proportionality[edit | edit source]
You are now in Movario's study room. Do not take anything from the treasure box; it is a trap, and you will be hit for 500 life points. Searching the treasure reveals it to be fake, so don't bother. Search the desk to obtain Movario's notes (volume 1). Read the notes. Pick up the waste-paper basket next to the desk and search it to find a ruby key. Search the bookcase to the west of the waste-paper basket, and use the ruby key on it. A set of steps will rise in the north-west corner of the room.
Climb up the staircase. If you need to boost your Thieving level again, do so now. Search the bed to remove the covers, revealing a hidden chest. Search the bed again to discover some "gadgetry" on the bed chest. Search the bed chest once more to dismantle the trap (make sure to disarm it fully) and finally use the ruby key on the chest. Open and search the chest to obtain a strange key loop, strange key teeth, and Movario's notes (volume 2). Read these notes too.
Do not drop either of the sets of notes after reading; you will need to show them to Thaerisk later.
Now that you have plundered Movario's base, you need to leave the area with the obtained items. When you attempt to leave by conventional methods, you find that a magical force is blocking your teleportation matrix. You cannot yet leave from the door in his office (see the last paragraph in this section). Therefore, you must now find another way out.
Go back down to the wire room and search the drawers, in the small east room you had uncovered, to obtain notes on pressure. Look at the thermometer; it should read a number.
- The number is a certain amount of "Tickits". The value represents how much you weighed when you entered the area.
- To exit the room, the number of "Tickits" must be exactly equal to your current weight, shown in your equipment screen.
- If your mass is different than the "Tickits" value, you must add enough weights to the statue, so that it adds up to the higher number.
- For example, if you weigh 41 kg, and the "Tickits" says 11, you must put 30 kg on the statue (11 + 30 = 41). If you weigh 29 kg and the 'Tickits" says 31 kg, you must pick up 2 kg from the weight pile and keep it in your inventory (31 - 29 = 2).
There is a pile of weights next to the temperature gauge. There are three sizes: 1kg, 2kg, and 5kg. Pick out weights equal to the number that is required and place them on the statue found up the stairs in the study room, just north of the stairs. Use the weights on the statue.
If your weight changed while you were in the room, then you must repeat these steps to get the correct weight.
After depositing the weights, go through the door in his office. If you succeed, the door will open and you can leave. If you don't, the small circle near the door will countdown from three for each failure. If the counter reaches 0, the door opens and you'll be suffocated by a gas and thrown into a jail room. You will also lose Movario's notes and the key teeth and loop, and will need to get them back again; though you don't have to repeat any of the above steps again apart from the tickits puzzle. You can teleport out when you open the door.
Battle for the truth[edit | edit source]
Head back to Thaerisk, on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the house west of Pikkupstix in Taverley, and show him all the items that you obtained in the base. If you do not have all the notes in your inventory, Cemphier will send you back to get more information. He reads the notes and tells you that Lucien is reaching closer to a powerful artefact, one that brought magic to Gielinor and was touched by the very gods themselves, and that immediate action should be taken. Thaerisk now wants you to go to McGrubor's Wood, to meet with the Guardians of Armadyl. McGrubor's Wood is west of Seers' Village lodestone. You will meet the Guardians on the north end.
Head to the building in McGrubor's Wood, and a cutscene will start. Lucien's minions are attacking the guardians and you've arrived just right in the middle of the battle. Kill all the mercenary axemen and attack the lone mercenary mage, who teleports to safety. Search the dead mercenaries to find a damaged and bloodied pendant of Lucien, although you choose not to take it. Talk to the wounded guardian, who will ask you to find Idria in the "arms of a forester," before losing consciousness.
Go to the Seers' Village pub, the Forester's Arms, walk upstairs, and talk to Idria. She reveals that Lucien is raising an army of undead heroes in the wilderness to the north; Lucien's spy network has infiltrated most of Misthalin. She then reveals that their plan is to capture a spy in Draynor and interrogate him for Lucien's exact whereabouts.
Go to Falador and talk to Sir Tiffy Cashien in the park. He will send you to the White Knights' Castle. At the castle, you find the three allied organisation leaders—Thaerisk, Akrisae and his assistant, Silif, and Idria—together. They are in the eastern room on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US], by the jail cell. They agree to put aside their differences and focus on defeating Lucien. They will give you a teleorb to put on one of Lucien's spies in Draynor Village. Akrisae will offer to teleport you there.
In Draynor Village, you find a few white-robed shady strangers roaming about. The suspicious outsiders wearing the green robes are too alert for you. Plant the teleorb on a stranger. He may also catch you and start fighting you. If so, you can run away until he forgets or else fight him until he teleports away, in which case you must find another one. If you have trouble planting the orb, try using gloves of silence.
Return to Falador after successfully planting the orb and talk to Thaerisk and Akrisae. The spy will be teleported into the cell, and the truth serum will be brought in by a druid. A cutscene shows a very clumsy attempt to administer the truth serum, as, despite the presence of a druid bodyguard, the stranger attacks the druid. Oops! The serum drops and breaks, and you will have to make another one. Thaerisk will ask you to hurry to Betty in Port Sarim, with a snapdragon seed, so that she can enchant it and you can get on with the truth.
Rosy serum[edit | edit source]
You can either use the Port Sarim lodestone or Thaerisk's free teleport to reach Port Sarim. Thaerisk will also sell you a snapdragon seed for 100gp, so if you don't have one to spare, it is advised to buy it from Thaerisk.
Travel to Betty's Magic Emporium shop, taking a lantern lens, a snapdragon seed, and 20 coins with you. Speak to her about an enriched snapdragon seed, and she says that sunlight must be concentrated on the seed, through a rose-tinted lens. She takes the seed and places it on the counter.
Talk to Betty to buy a pink dye and use it on the lens to obtain a rose-tinted lens. Then stand just inside the doorway and use the lens with the counter to expose the seed. Finally, search the counter and take the enriched snapdragon seed. If you haven't already got it, Betty will offer to give you a regular truth serum when spoken to.
Go back to Falador and talk to Thaerisk. He says that the seed must be planted in a specially created patch on the top of the castle; climb up the western stairs to the top and plant the seed in the patch.
Go talk to Idria, who asks you to recruit four heroes to apprehend Lucien:
- Duradel; Slayer Master in Shilo Village
- Hazelmere; east of Yanille (Fairy ring code: cls)
- Mazchna; the Slayer Master north-east of Canifis
- Turael; the Slayer Master in Burthorpe
The fellowship[edit | edit source]
Once you have successfully enrolled everyone, head to the top of the White Knights' Castle to collect the fully grown enriched snapdragon herb from the patch. Once you have the enriched snapdragon, mix it into your truth serum to make super truth serum.
Head back to the room with the leaders and open the cupboard. Inside you can find a papyrus and charcoal. Now go into the cell and convince the captured spy to drink the serum. Use the serum on the captured spy, and you will be given three options. The correct method varies by player, and there is no penalty for choosing an incorrect option.
He will reveal his master's identity to you, which you will sketch with your charcoal and papyrus, to get a suspect sketch. Give the sketch to Idria, who will put up posters seeking information on the wizard known as Dark Squall. Then she will ask you to recruit four more heroes:
- Ghommal; at the entrance of the Warriors' Guild
- Harrallak Menarous; ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] of the Warriors' Guild
- Sloane; 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Warriors' Guild, past the gate to the east
- Cyrisus; by using the NPC Contact spell
The first three can be found at the Warriors' Guild. You'll be heading to the Black Knights' Fortress in the next section, so if you don't have a black armour set to enter the Fortress with, you can instead buy an iron chainbody and bronze helm while still at the Warrior's Guild.
The dark squall[edit | edit source]
- See Black Knights' Catacombs for a map of the dungeon.
Items recommended: Emergency teleport such as ectophial for anyone under 100 combat
With the required items, head to the Black Knights' Fortress and equip the bronze helm and iron chainbody, or full (elite) black set or black knight captain's armour. A good way to get there is to use the skull of remembrance and climb down the tower to the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US].
- From the front entrance, open the portcullis and go down the ladder at the south-western corner of the floor. Near the east wall, right-click to search the floor tile with an orb marking on it. Cast a charge orb spell on the tile and the unpowered orb in your inventory will reveal a trap door. This destroys the orb, although the trapdoor will remain open.
- If you get the message, "You see no reason to waste runes casting magic on the floor", you either haven't searched the tile or you haven't checked back with Akrisae yet.
- Climb down the ladder. You will be attacked by elite black knights, along with their ranger, mage and warrior counterparts. Your goal is to kill three black knights and collect an elite black armour set.
- Completion of the quest requires two sets of elite black armour (helmet, chest, legs). One is obtained by killing three elite black knights. The armour pieces are guaranteed drops, unless you already have obtained the drop before. The second set is easily obtained later in the quest while wearing the first set. Buying armour ahead of time from the Grand Exchange is not required, it just lets you skip the three elite black knight kills. If you have a decent combat level (and ideally a weapons switch, but this is not required), these fights should not be very challenging, since the knights only have 3,600 life points. Getting the second set of armour by continuing to kill elite black knights is not recommended, because armour pieces are rare drops after the initial guaranteed drop.
- There is an altar on the 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US] of the fortress that you can use to recharge your prayer points, instead of using prayer potions in between kills.
- If you run east, there is a relatively clear area where players can fight a single knight. It is suggested to do this now as crossing the broken bridge will land you in a group of both knights and mages.
- You will need at least two combat styles to kill the knights, as they pray against the style you use. However, their prayer runs out after 20 attacks, and you'll be able to fight with your choice of attack style. For this purpose, it is best to run down their prayer with a high speed attack, such as darts.
- The knights drop individual pieces of elite black armour, until you have gained a full set; you can also save a lot of time by purchasing the set on the GE. The Black Knight captain's armour will not make the knights non-aggressive. Be sure to buy an additional set of elite black armour, or keep your existing full black equipment for the next section of the quest. Otherwise, when you've got the full elite armour, equip it, and no one in the dungeon will be aggressive any more.
- Head north by jumping across the broken bridge; be sure to click on the side you wish to jump to.
- Go east, climb up the wall, and run north and over the barricade.
- Walk north-west from the barricade until you reach a fork in the path, then head east. You will reach a set of jail cells, one of which holds Silif.
Talk to Silif, who says that he feels very weak. Head west to the fork in the path, and take the north path and enter the northern door. Search all the desks and wardrobes in the room. You will find Dagon'hai robes, another set of elite black armour, a strange teleorb, a lobster and a restore potion. Search the key rack on the northern wall for a cell key. Do not consume the lobster and restore potion; if you accidentally consume the lobster, Silif will take any other food item you have in your inventory, although he will not take any potions aside from the restore potion, so be careful not to consume any of it.
- If you already have any pieces of the Dagon'hai robe set, you will not obtain those when you search the wardrobe. Necromancer's robe pieces in your bank (in the absence of Dagon'hai robe pieces) have the same effect within the base; however, after you return to the white knights' castle Silif will hand you a set.
- Items dropped in this room will disappear after leaving and there is no way to get them back.
- Do not attempt to climb the ladder in the eastern part of the room or attempt to wear any of the clothes you found in the wardrobes. Attempting any of these will turn the guards, rangers, and mages aggressive, in this room and elsewhere. If you do try to climb the ladder, you must exit the room through the door you originally entered and then re-enter the room to make the dungeon inhabitants non aggressive again. Alternatively, you can find a safe spot and then unequip and re-equip your Elite black armour.
- If you log out while Silif is following you, he will go back to his cell and to his original armour. You don't need to get him another set of black armour, as he will retain the previous one.
Return to Silif's cell and unlock the door using the key. Use the food and potion on Silif to recover him. If you have a familiar at this point, dismiss it or Silif will not take your elite black armour. Speak to him. He will put on the Elite black armour and follow you.
Return to the northern room and lead Silif to the maps on the southern wall, and talk to him. He says that he needs some time to study the maps, and hands you a teleorb to plant on Dark Squall while he does so. You will succeed, but Dark Squall recognises you, and he reveals that he is actually Surok.
Surok calls on his minions to attack you, at which point, everyone in Surok's base becomes aggressive. The best method of escape is to simply teleport out, but if you don't have a teleport, activate Protect/Deflect Magic and run back to safety.
Lucien's might[edit | edit source]
In Falador, talk to Akrisae. He will instruct you to impersonate Surok, so that you can infiltrate Lucien's base, by wearing his robes. When ready, wear the Dagon'hai robes and enter the nearby jail cell. The teleorb you set on Surok will be used to imprison him there, and you will be teleported to Surok's hideout instead.
If you forget something and have to teleport out, you will have to use the tunnels you used before to get to Silif. Make sure to wear your Dagon'hai robes as well when doing this.
After being teleported inside, climb up the ladder in the north-eastern corner and stand in the stone circle in the middle of the room. Activate the strange teleorb to be teleported into Lucien's camp near the God Wars Dungeon. Talk to an elite black knight to learn that Lucien is recruiting and you should go to the chapel to observe. Follow the north-eastern path towards the chapel and climb up the ice wall (look for a small stick on the tip of the wall that's adjacent to the chapel). Jump across to the ledge on the chapel and walk east.
A cutscene will play. Lucien emerges from the nearby cave and raises several undead heroes from their graves. Lucien then reveals that he is aware of your presence, and that you are not Surok. He attacks with magic, which you manage to avoid; the spell strikes two Elite Black Knights instead, destroying them. Hazelmere, detecting danger, teleports into battle along with the rest of the fellowship – Turael, Duradel, Mazchna, Ghommal, Sloane, Harrallak, and Cyrisus.
During the ensuing battle, Duradel, Turael, Hazelmere, Sloane, Cyrisus, and Ghommal are all tragically slain by Lucien, who then sends his guards to attack you. After the cutscene ends, you'll find yourself on the chapel's ledge; jump to the nearby snow wall and return to Falador. You cannot teleport from the chapel itself, since it is in level 38 Wilderness, but you can avoid the Wilderness by backtracking to the stone circle and using the strange teleorb to go back to the Black Knights' area, or simply using a teleport from the snow wall itself.
- For images, see Skirmish at the Chaos Temple#Gallery
The ancient Guthix temple[edit | edit source]
Items recommended: A games necklace to teleport you directly to the Tears of Guthix cavern (if you choose to walk instead, a spiny helmet or other protective gear from wall beasts is advised), energy potions, and filled druid pouches or an ouroboros pouch to save a little time. It is also recommended to have full prayer points and/or prayer potions, as you will have to use the Bloom ability. The more empty inventory spaces you have, the better.
Once back in Falador, talk to Idria and she will say that Movario has been moving. He was last seen at the Lumbridge Swamps, searching for the Fist of Guthix.
(If she won't talk about Movario and instead keeps saying to investigate Lucien's Base, then unfortunately the game glitched and you must go back and rewatch the cutscene. Remember to bring the strange teleorb, a law rune, and a death rune.)
Your next task is to impersonate Surok and glean more information from him. Wearing the Dagon'hai robe set, go to the Tears of Guthix cavern, where the light creatures are, and make sure to bring a sapphire lantern.
Inside the cavern, talk to Movario. He believes that a powerful artefact, the Stone of Jas, which is synonymous with the "Fist of Guthix" and "Eye of Saradomin", is resting inside the chasm below, but has no viable way to get there. Volunteer to go down to the chasm and explore for him. Attract a light creature with your sapphire lantern, and with some help from Movario, opt to go into the chasm.
Into the Abyss[edit | edit source]
After landing in the chasm, search the nearby skeletons for a silver sickle (b), and six druid pouches (the other tools are on the tool belt so you may drop them). Use the "Search" option on two nearby rocks in each northern corner to uncover two smashed braziers. Afterward, use a chisel on the smashed braziers to obtain a Fire orb and an Earth orb. Similarly, go to the air and water braziers, which are intact, and use the chisel on them to acquire an Air orb and Water orb.
Head south until you reach three skull cavities on the southern wall. For each skull, examine its recessed block and use the respective orb on the block to acquire the corresponding elemental key; air, earth and fire keys should be obtained. Climb up the wall between the fire and earth cavities to reach a fourth skull cavity, which is behind a stone cube. Use the water orb on the recessed block to acquire the water elemental key.
For each of the three lower skulls, enter its nose cavity (Summoning familiars cannot be brought into these cavities, and you cannot have anything equipped in your weapon and shield slot). Crawl along the tunnel in each cavity to its end. Examine the door there and insert the respective key into the door lock. Crawl back through the tunnel and exit the skull.
At this point, you must have used all the keys except for the fire key. Climb up the walls to the upper skull. Use the fire key on the skull's recessed block, and search the stone cube in front of the skull. The recessed block moves to reveal a cave opening in the skull. Climb through to enter the Ancient Guthix Temple.
The Temple of Balance[edit | edit source]
The Guthixian Temple is made of a central chamber, consisting of an ancient stone table upon which smaller stone platforms are mounted. Also, to the opposite side of the table, is a giant door. Leading away from the chamber are multiple forks which lead to eight statues, each representing an aspect of RuneScape. Examining the statue will reveal what it depicts. Along the forks, Druid Spirits can be found wandering. The giant door seems to be linked to each of the statues.
Before you begin, if you have a sign of the porter or grace of the elves with porter enabled, disable it, otherwise ingredients will be sent to bank when picking up.
Use your druid pouches on the druid spirits. Having an ouroboros pouch in your Slayer tool belt will not utilise your druid pouch charges. They will thank you for releasing them and then drop the ingredients for one of the statues.
Do not make any potions or eat the toad legs.
Use the herbs and the secondary ingredients on the statues in any order. For each statue, determine which skill it represents and use the appropriate herb and secondary as listed below. For defence, energy, and strength, you might receive the ingredients for its super-doses variant. After correctly placing the ingredients on the statue of its specific element, you will receive a Dolmen.
Once you run out of druid pouches, use the sickle's Bloom ability on the vines to receive Vine flowers. You can refill the pouch with the flowers, with a set of three making three pouches. Do not refill the pouch unless you have at least three flowers, or you may accidentally consume the mort myre fungus secondary ingredient.
Use the eight dolmens on the platforms on the stone table in the middle of the temple, and the giant door will open.
Any of the 8 potions may include:
- Agility: Clean toadflax and toad's legs
- Attack: Clean guam and eye of newt OR clean irit and eye of newt
- Balance: Clean harralander, red spiders' eggs, garlic, and silver dust
- Combat: Clean harralander and goat horn dust
- Defence: Clean cadantine and white berries
- Energy: Clean avantoe and mort myre fungus
- Fishing: Clean avantoe and snape grass
- Hunter: Clean avantoe and kebbit teeth dust
- Magic: Clean lantadyme and potato cactus
- Prayer: Clean ranarr and snape grass
- Ranging: Clean dwarf weed and wine of Zamorak
- Restoration: Clean snapdragon and red spiders' eggs
- Strength: Clean kwuarm and limpwurt root
- The statues are different for every player.
- The druid spirits will drop the ingredients for each potion a single time only. If you lose any ingredient, you will have to supply a new one yourself, so make sure you have a lot of inventory space to pick them all up. Also, for statues that may take the ingredients for regular or super versions of potions, you cannot substitute between the versions. For example, if a druid spirit drops the ingredients for a super energy potion and you lose them, the ingredients for a regular energy potion cannot be used at the energy statue.
- If you have a Mort Myre fungus in your inventory, it can fill your druid pouch as well as the vine flowers, so be cautious. The fungus will not be used if you have three flowers but will be used if you just have two flowers. For safety, you can drop the fungus, refill the pouch, and then pick up the fungus again (as long as you do not log out or take a lot of time before picking up the fungus).
The Stone of Jas[edit | edit source]
Make whatever arrangements necessary to battle a level 117 Balance Elemental that can use all three combat styles and lower your combat stats, as well as two level 119 Tormented demons, capable of using all three combat styles and hitting up to 1100. As the demons can use protection prayers, it is highly recommended to bring an alternate combat style gear with you. You can leave the area to get supplies, but always bring your lit sapphire lantern.
- A sapphire lantern, a ranged or magic weapon and ammo/runes, two super restore (4) and a mode of emergency teleportation.
- A Beast of Burden familiar (such as a spirit terrorbird) - fill all its slots with food.
- Fill the remaining slots of your inventory with food and prayer potions.
- Use stat-boosting prayers.
- The elemental's magic attack will find its target even through solid rock.
- You can send your familiar to attack the elemental, temporarily distracting it, but you may lose your familiar in the process, so it is advised not to store valuable things in it.
- The Balance Elemental will almost always attack with ranged first.
The Balance Elemental[edit | edit source]
Proceed down the corridor that was revealed when the huge door was opened. Enter a large chamber that contains a mysterious stone on a raised set of platforms. Once ready, search the stone. A short cutscene will play, in which the Balance Elemental materializes.
- The elemental is level 117 and will use all three aspects of the combat triangle. It does a maximum of 1051 life points per hit, and it has no weakness. It has two different melee attacks, one which it uses up close, and another, very rarely used, long-distance melee attack similar to that of the Warped Gulega. Its magic attack also lowers combat stats in a similar effect to Ahrim's set.
- The Balance Elemental seems to use a pattern in its attacks. It will often, though not always, attack for 3-4 rounds with one attack style, use its magical stat-lowering attack, then repeat with the same or a different attack style.
- The Balance Elemental will change appearance slightly depending on what attack it is going to use. If it has a large, flaming bow in its left hand, it is ranging. When maging, it will have large water spikes on top of its head and no weapon. If it has an enlarged arm of stone, it is meleeing. The elemental will vary its attack style based on the protection prayer you use. It always begins the fight using Ranged.
- Several times while battling the elemental, it will initiate dialogues with you at around 2/3, 1/2 and 1/3 health. Its message takes up your chat box but it says nothing of importance. It seems to know you and speaks regretfully, perhaps sardonically, about your death, which seems to have happened in the elemental's past. If fighting from a distance, you will continue to attack it, thus closing the chat box.
- The elemental must be killed in one go. It is possible to leave the area and resupply if the battle turns sour, but if you do, you will have to search the stone again when you return. Doing so will restart the battle from the beginning, and the elemental will be fully healed.
After you defeat the elemental, touch the mysterious stone again. Another cutscene will play, in which it is revealed that the mysterious stone is actually the Stone of Jas. All your combat stats will be boosted up to level 255.
Master of the thousand curses[edit | edit source]
After you discover the Stone of Jas, Movario and Darve will appear and apparently gloat over their find. Talk to Movario and go through all the options in order. Without the Elemental to annihilate him, Lucien will appear, and he will berate them for not informing him of their find. Talk to Lucien and go through all the chat options as well.
Movario and Darve will teleport away, followed by Lucien, who will take the Stone of Jas with him after summoning two tormented demons to deal with you. Idria and some Guardians of Armadyl will teleport in to assist you against the demons. The demons are fairly easy to defeat as you have been imbued with power by the Stone of Jas, with greatly enhanced stats — you will have level 255 in every combat skill. Do not use stat boosting potions such as Overloads after receiving the stat enhancement as the potion will override and lower your stats making the fight very difficult. Note that despite being boosted by the stone, the demons can still do a lot of damage, so do not underestimate them.
You will need at least two different combat styles for this battle, as each demon uses prayer and changes its protection prayer based on your attack style. As long as you switch styles at the right moment, you can defeat them fairly quickly. The Guardians of Armadyl can influence the Tormented Demons to pray Melee, so using Ranged or Magic is highly advised. If you leave the battle, your stats will be reset; however, they will return to 255 when you return. Use the nearby pillars to block one demon while you're fighting another.
If you die to the tormented demons, your grave will appear outside the Tears of Guthix minigame.
After you defeat the Tormented Demons, talk to Idria. She will commend you for your efforts and teleport you to Falador, where you must speak to her again to be presented with either of a Ruined dragon armour lump, Ruined dragon armour shard or a Ruined dragon armour slice and 5,000 coins from the demons.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Post-credits[edit | edit source]
When the quest officially concludes, after using of all four 100,000 experience boosts, talk to Idria again to view the "Elsewhere..." epilogue in which you learn about the Dragonkin's return.
If you need to re-watch the epilogue for the master quest cape after completing the quest, you can talk to Silif on the east side of the White Knights' Castle on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US].
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- A lump of dragon metal
- A set of Elite black armour.
- A set of Dagon'hai robes.
- The Balance Elemental can be faced in Dominion Tower.
- 5,000 coins
- 4 x 100,000 experience from Idria, in any skill that is at least 65.
- A new pet - Broav.
- Access to the Black Knights' Catacombs.
- Opportunity to loot Movario's base.
- The base has 100 of magic logs, coal, fire runes, and death runes; note that the logs and ores are in their un-noted form. At GE market prices, the items are worth approximately 132,600 coins.
- Ability to kill Tormented demons for dragon metal pieces, dragon claw and dragon limbs.
- A Strange key teeth and a Strange key loop
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
- Dangerous Logic (after entering table trapdoor)
- Black of Knight (in the Black Knights' Fortress dungeon)
- The Evil Within (in the cutscene where Lucien slays the heroes)
- The Sound of Guthix (in the Ancient Guthix temple)
- Temple Desecrated (at the battle with the Balance Elemental near the Stone of Jas)
Aftermath of the quest[edit | edit source]
Replaced characters[edit | edit source]
- Turael → Spria
- Duradel → Lapalok
- Ghommal → Laidee Gnonock
- Sloane → Yadech Strongarm
- Lucien → Local Thug and Local Mage
- Mazchna → Achtryn (only during the quest)
Memorial statues[edit | edit source]
Due to the death of the close friends of your character and heroes of RuneScape, memorial statues were put up at several spots in remembrance of them.
When these statues are examined, it reads "In honour of the hero, [Dead Hero's Name], who died attacking the Mahjarrat known as Lucien".
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- While Guthix Sleeps ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Epi Logueque Experience ( 15) – Watch the 'While Guthix Sleeps' epilogue and claim the XP reward.
- One Man's Junk...Is Mine ( 20) – Fully loot Movario's base.
- Relight My Fire ( 20) – Re-kindle the Dragon Forge.
- Karamja achievements
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
While Guthix Sleeps is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Aftermath (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Azzanadra's Quest
- Full comprehension of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full comprehension of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full comprehension of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Full comprehension of Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full comprehension of Heart of Stone
- Full comprehension of Hero's Welcome
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles (miniquest)
- Mahjarrat Memories (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full comprehension of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full comprehension of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville (miniquest)
- Sins of the Father (miniquest)
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad (miniquest)
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Full comprehension of The World Wakes
- Twilight of the Gods
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|While Guthix Sleeps|
|Design||Mod Mark (Lead Design Editor)|
|Editing||Mod Rowley, Mod Osborne, Luke M, Veronika H|
|Code review||Mod John A, Mod Roderick, Matt H|
|Technical Support||Mod Ash, Mod Benny, Mod Chihiro|
|Second Developers||Paul Gower, John H|
|Assistant Developers||Mod Liono, Mod Tim, Matthew H, Mod Maz|
|Additional Writing||Mod John A, Luke M, Mod Rowley|
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Matthew S, Mod Brass, Mod Alex, Matthew M, Mod Paul B, Jeff K, Wayne M, Mod Stead, Kavi M, Daniel J, Mod GiuG|
|Lead Graphics Artist||James W|
|Quality assurance||Daniel O'R, Dan G, Mod James H, Florian P|
|Quest Help||Katie B|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 September 2021 (Update):
- The correct NPC animations will now play during a scene around the Falador map table in While Guthix Sleeps.
- patch 5 October 2020 (Update):
- Removed duplicated text in the Quest Journal for 'While Guthix Sleeps'.
- patch 20 July 2020 (Update):
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with Strisath's chathead animation during While Guthix Sleeps quest.
- patch 11 February 2019 (Update):
- Updated a requirements check on Radimus Erkle when starting Guthix Sleep which was inconsistent with the quest's requirements. (The check for access to the Warriors' Guild now passes if you have 99 Attack or 99 Strength.)
- The option on Ivy Sophista to continue 'While Guthix Sleeps' is now clearly marked, instead of being an 'Other' topic.
- Improved the hinting from Reldo to find the hunting expert in the jungle north of Oo'glog.
- You now have a knife on your toolbelt, so removed the message that says you need a knife when you need logs to set up a pitfall trap.
- Thaerisk was charging over 20,000 for his snapdragon seed. Set the price to a fixed value of 100 coins.
- Corrected Required Items in quest overview screen to more accurately reflect what items are needed.
- Removed this post-quest dialogue from Idria: “You should be proud...Since our lord Armadyl has returned to Gielinor, and defended himself against the murderous intentions of Bandos, such unity is more important and more fitting than ever before!” Since Idria dies during RotM, she cannot know about the Bird and the Beast event in the Sixth Age.
- The elite Khazard guards in Movario’s base are aggressive again, as was the case pre-EoC.
- Graphically updated the version of Turael recruited into the ground-floor octagonal room east of Akrisae in Falador castle during the quest.
- patch 1 October 2018 (Update):
- You will no longer be continually notified of meeting quest requirements for While Guthix Sleeps and will now only be notified on the level that you meet the requirement.
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- patch 30 April 2018 (Update):
- A black rectangle will no longer appear in the centre of players screens when entering certain areas during While Guthix Sleeps quest
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- A duplicate "access to the Warriors' Guild" requirement has been removed from the While Guthix Sleeps quest overview.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- patch 9 January 2017 (Update):
- A situation where Thearisk didn't appear when replaying While Guthix Sleeps after a pure reset has been resolved.
- patch 25 July 2016 (Update):
- patch 7 March 2016 (Update):
- Updated a section of While Guthix Sleeps to account for players who manage to enter Movario's base too early.
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- The assassin's arrow no longer appears below the bow during the “While Guthix Sleeps” quest.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- patch 21 January 2014 (Update):
- The requirements for While Guthix Sleeps now correctly reflect the completion state of the additional quests needed for the full reward.
- patch 25 September 2013 (Update):
- patch 19 August 2010 (Update):
- Allow players to continue in this quest if they disconnected during a specific cutscene.
- patch 4 August 2010 (Update):
- The experience rewards from this quest can now be spent on the Dungeoneering skill.
- patch 16 February 2010 (Update):
- Adjusted some of the location models when you're crawling around during the While Guthix Sleeps quest.
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- patch 21 July 2009 (Update):
- You should no longer be able to see Dark Squall in the dungeon after While Guthix Sleeps.
- patch 8 July 2009 (Update):
- patch 20 January 2009 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When Silif dons the Elite Black armour, he appears to be wearing matching gauntlets and boots, although those items do not exist in game for players. Elite Black Knights also appear to wear them, although they are not dropped.
- On the day of release, the spoiler read: The spoilers are concealed within the most challenging of puzzles, disguised by a rubric, and placed at the bottom of a perilous gorge. We may have the courage to recover them tomorrow.
- At the time of release, the 270 quest point requirement meant only those who had completed all previously released quests were able to start While Guthix Sleeps, similar to the Legends' Quest's requirements when it was released.
- At one point Lucien says "I am Lord Lucien of the Mahjarrat, Master of the Thousand Curses, look upon my work and despair!", a reference to Ozymandias, a sonnet by Percy Bysshe Shelley, which reads, "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
- The name of the quest was suggested by Mod Rowley.
- After completion of the quest, Gianne Jnr. from the gnome restaurant minigame is unaware of Hazelmere's death. He may assign a food order for Hazelmere, but the player's character will inform that "Hazelmere is no longer with us".
- During The Path of Glouphrie, when the player is healing the sick spirit tree, they telepathically call Hazelmere out of a dream. Hazelmere complains that he was dreaming of the future, and was about to see "something that would save [his] life." It is likely that the moment referenced was his death at Lucien's hands, and thus that the player accidentally caused Hazelmere's death.
- The Ancient Guthix Temple contains multiple stone skull statues and skull-shaped door frames, some with tendrils. These are likely references to Guthix's original appearance in the God Letters as a skull with tendrils.
References[edit | edit source]
|Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
|Rise of Lucien|
|Return of Zaros|
|Lores and Histories|
|Sea Slug quest series|
|Void Knight quest series|