Weapon Diversity Beta
|Release date||4 June 2019 (Update)|
|End date||22 July 2019|
|Subject of testing||Changes to weapon effects|
The Weapon Diversity Beta was a beta version of RuneScape that was used to test changes to weapons in the game, which are intended to allow them to feel more diverse. These weapon types include those used in Dungeoneering. The beta ran from 4 June until 22 July 2019. Unlike the Mining and Smithing beta, players' save states can transferred once every hour.
Players can find training dummies in the Combat Academy in Lumbridge to test weapon effects on. Speaking to Lady Deathknell allows players to access an instanced version of the Combat Academy without other players, where she will also instantly revive you should you die. She also gives away various equipment for free in her shop.
Max can also be found in the Combat Academy, giving players 2736 total level.
The beta world can be accessed by clicking here. Both members and non-members can access it, and non-members will have full membership benefits while on the beta world. Hardcore Ironmen cannot lose their last life on the beta servers, although an already-dead Hardcore Ironmen would still be barred from logging in on the beta client.
The weapon effects were tweaked, new weapons were added, and testing continued in the Bank Placeholders & Weapon Diversity 2 beta.
Effects[edit | edit source]
As part of the changes, unique effects have been added to each type of weapon.
Melee[edit | edit source]
|Daggers||5% chance to hit twice with every attack. Applies to both main-hand and off-hand individually, so two daggers could be used and the effect could trigger on both at the same time.|
|Spears||All bleed effects now last 50% longer. Applies to Slaughter, Blood Tendrils, and Dismember.|
|Scimitars||While wielding a scimitar in the main-hand slot, 5% of damage given in a critical hit will be applied as extra damage over time that lasts for 7.2 seconds. While dual-wielding scimitars, the damage is increased to 10%.|
|Two-handed swords||5% of your critical hit will instantly heal you.|
|Maces||Your entire equipped prayer bonus is added to your strength bonus - while dual-wielding maces, this effect would stack to 200% of your prayer bonus, 150% for mainhand and 50% for offhand.|
|Mauls||Increased damage but lower accuracy. +5 tiers of damage but -5 tiers of accuracy. For example, a level 90 maul would then have the accuracy of a tier 85 weapon but would have the weapon damage of a tier 95.|
For daggers, each hit of both autoattacks and abilities can trigger it; for abilities, the extra damage is always equal to a main-hand auto attack; when triggered the main-hand animation is always played, even if it is triggered by an offhand dagger autoattack and deals offhand damage.
For spears, Dismember and Slaughter deals 7 hits instead of 5 (40% damage increase). Normally, Blood Tendrils does one hit against the enemy then 4 hits that each deal half as much damage, but with a spear, it does 2 additional half-damage hits in front of the full damage hit (1/3 damage increase). Self-damage is not lengthened and would still only deal 4 hits. Neither of which seem to match an expected 50% increase. Switching out to a non-spear weapon after setting the bleed would still allow it to be lengthened. Turning a combo ability into a bleed ability via Greater Barge will not interact with spears' effect.
For scimitars, the damage over time is deal in 4 hits in autoattack damage (transparent hitsplats). If multiple crits occur in a short time, the DoT hits at the same time would be compiled into one hit.
Two-handed sword's healing will persist throughout Onslaught. If attacking an opponent that is meant to take no damage, it may still heal according to the crit damage you would have dealt.
Ranged[edit | edit source]
|Shortbows||6% more damage, but you get -1% damage per tile between you and your target.|
|Shieldbows||Defence abilities cost 20% less adrenaline to use. For example, defence thresholds will only cost 12% adrenaline and defence ultimates will only cost 80% adrenaline.|
|One-handed crossbows||4% chance whilst using a basic ability to trigger it again at the same time, with no adrenaline cost or cooldown, this chance is increased to 6% when dual wielding.|
|Two-handed crossbows||Standing still for 3 seconds grants a 5% accuracy buff. After moving, a 5 second timer will start after which the effect will end.|
|Throwing knives||-5 tiers in weapon damage and accuracy, global cooldown is 1.2 seconds instead of 1.8 seconds. For example, a tier 70 throwing knife would have tier 65 damage and accuracy.|
|Throwing axes||Attacks now have a 5% chance to bind your target for 3 seconds. If your target is bind-immune, the attack deals 10% more damage instead.|
Despite the description, shieldbows only allow you to use Defence threshold/ultimate abilities at less adrenaline. Thresholds can be used with only 40% adrenaline, but drains 15% like normal. Ultimate abilities can be used with only 80% adrenaline, but will always drain adrenaline to zero regardless of how much you have.
While the sacred clay bow has the speed of a shortbow and the range of a shieldbow, it has the effect of neither (although it does not count as a shield in the first place).
Magic[edit | edit source]
|Air spells||When you have an air spell selected, every hit will increase your armour by 1%. This stacks up to 10% and lasts 10 seconds.|
|Fire spells||5% chance to trigger a free Combust ability. Can occur at the same time as a normal Combust ability. Anything that affects Combust, like the Invention perk Lunging, will also affect this. If the effect triggers again before the previous one expires, it refreshes the duration back to full.|
|Water spells||When delivering a finishing blow, a water globule will spawn where the target died. Walking onto the tile where the water globule spawns heals you for 2% of your max health.|
|Earth spells||When your target is stunned or bound, you will deal 10% more damage to them.|
The spell effect used is the one of the spell set to the main-hand, though the player may use a different auto attack spell to have its effect apply too. For example, the player may have the fire spells set to abilities, but 4taa with the air one, this means that you get the combust chance on every ability, but every auto attack gives you 1% armour (air effect).
With air spells, each hit gives a stack of the armour buff, so abilities like Asphyxiate and Chain can give multiple stacks if multiple hits are performed. The stacks are gained upon ability initiation, not when the projectile hits. Combust does not give that buff at all. If an attack misses or is meant to deal no damage (Storm Shards, or Shatter without Storm Shards stacks), the buff is not gained. Slayer Dart, Divine Storm, Storm of Armadyl, and Polypore Strike do count as air spells. Curse spells do not count despite being labelled as air spells.
With water spells, upon killing an enemy either with abilities or autoattacks with a water spell set to autocast, a pool of "Healing water" spawns, slightly later than drops. It has a "Walk-to" option that allows players to walk next to it. When adjacent or on top of it, the player is healed and the pool is consumed. It lasts for several seconds before disappearing (or when it is consumed). There is a cooldown on how often it can spawn, slightly longer than the duration, regardless of whether it is consumed. If multiple enemies are killed at once, only one pool would spawn. Healing water is consumed even if you are at full health. The killing blow must be an autoattack or ability with water spells, e.g. if the opponent was finished off by damage from Deflect Curses healing water will not spawn.
With fire spells, multi-hitting abilities have the chance to trigger the effect on secondary targets independently.
Staff of Sliske's special attack, Shadow Clone, does not seem to apply any of the spell effects.
Planned effects[edit | edit source]
These effects are planned, but will not be present in this beta.
Melee[edit | edit source]
|Claws||Crits cause a bleed on the target.|
|Rapiers||Chance to not incur GCD on your next attack.|
|Hastas||Gains access to 2h abilities when used with a shield.|
|Longswords||Everytime you miss you gain an accuracy buff for your next attack.|
|Battleaxes||Deal more damage when above 80% adrenaline - damage buff builds up the longer you stay above 80% adrenaline.|
|Halberds||+1 range on all attacks including AoEs.|
|Warhammers||Auto attacks AoE.|
|Whips||Every attack hits enemies in a range 2 cone in front of you. Existing AoEs extend in the direction you’re facing.|
Ranged[edit | edit source]
|Darts||Add stacks to enemy that lowers defence, stacks drop off, affects npc not attacker for group encounters.|
|Javelins||Hits the first 5 targets in a line between you and your target, travels past target. Range is increased to 8.|
|Composite bows||Can move while channelling.|
Mage[edit | edit source]
|Staves||+5% accuracy for 20 seconds after you use an ultimate|
|Wands||Every critical hit fires off a spell of your choosing (provided you have the runes & you’re on the right book).|
|Books||Boosts spell effects.|
|Orbs||Increased crit chance while the opponent has an active magic damage over time.|
Existing effects[edit | edit source]
These effects are already present in the live game and will not be changed with the Weapon Diversity Beta.
Melee[edit | edit source]
|Defenders||Allows the use of both dual-wielding and shield abilities, and provides a 3% accuracy boost. It also has a 1/15 chance to deflect a hit, reducing it by 50%-100% damage and providing +20% accuracy for the next attack.|
|Halberds||+1 Range on all attacks including AoEs.|
Ranged[edit | edit source]
|Chinchompas||All abilities are AoE.|
|Reprisers||Allows the use of both dual-wielding and shield abilities, and provides a 3% accuracy boost. It also has a 1/15 chance to deflect a hit, reducing it by 50%-100% damage and providing +20% accuracy for the next attack.|
|Chargebows||Does not require arrows.|
Mage[edit | edit source]
|Rebounders||Allows the use of both dual-wielding and shield abilities, and provides a 3% accuracy boost. It also has a 1/15 chance to deflect a hit, reducing it by 50%-100% damage and providing +20% accuracy for the next attack.|
|Smoke spells||Reduces the target's chance to hit by 5% for 10 seconds.|
|Shadow spells||Reduces the target's damage dealt by 5% for 10 seconds.|
|Blood spells||Heals you for 5% of the damage dealt.|
|Ice spells||Prevents creatures from moving for 10 seconds, or players for 2.4 to 9.6 seconds depending on the spell used.|
|Opal Aurora||On hit will find all prisms within a 3 square radius of the player and increase their duration by a small amount.|
|Sapphire Aurora||On hit has a chance to find all prisms within a 3 square radius of the player and give a small buff to their ability when they next activate.|
|Emerald Aurora||On hit will give the caster a small Damage Reduction buff. By 1% per stack, up to 5 stacks.|
|Ruby Aurora||On hit has a chance to increase damage output, by 1% per stack up to 3 stacks, to all other players within a 2 tile radius from the caster.|
Known issues[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate abilities could be used without any adrenaline (draining any adrenaline you have) when ability queuing is turned off. Onslaught will actually give you full adrenaline (and immediately draining it to 75% for the first hit).
- The tier 92 shortbow is bugged; with the tier 92 arrows, its autoattacks deal slightly less damage than a magic shortbow, and its abilities deal the same damage as a shortbow.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Killing ducks in water with water spells spawns no healing water, even if both the duck and the player are at the water's edge, and will not put healing water on cooldown. Healing water also does not appear when killing the lesser demon trapped in Wizards' Tower despite him having regular drops that can be retrieved with Telekinetic Grab.
- Healing water resembles the Water pool node in Runespan.
- Upon opening the beta version of the client, players were directed to world 200 by default, but there are actually two beta worlds and it is possible to select world 201 within the beta client. This was later reversed and players are directed to world 201 by default, and afterwards changed back and forth. Both worlds are based in Germany.
- A number of features are disabled in the beta client, including the Upgrades & Extras menu (including Treasure Hunter), God Statues and the Grand Exchange. However, items yield unusual grand exchange guide prices when examined. For example, coal stone spirit is considered to be worth 20,010 coins.
- Updates released in the main game after the beta launch (e.g. Breaking the Storm) are also not replicated in the beta.
- Tradeable discontinued items such as partyhats are unable to be traded.
- When a Hardcore Ironman dies an unsafe death on a beta world, they would be resurrected on the spot with zero life points, drop all but 3 most valuable items (as if a normal player dying in the Wilderness) and spawn bones beneath them (certain items that are normally always kept on death but can't be dropped, like the muddy skull, are destroyed). Gravestones do not appear. They would then be invulnerable for a few seconds, and then can take zero damage from a hit and die again. Certain actions cannot be done while at zero life points, including eating food and teleportation; being at a bank does not heal you, but resting does, and asking Monks to heal you works. While entering King Black Dragon's Lair is considered a teleport, exiting it is not, preventing players from being stuck in the lair. If dying in the Wildness, they again lose most items and respawn in Edgeville like a normal player. Being resurrected does not cure poison, allowing it to kill the player once every few seconds while it lasts.
- Upon beta launch, throwing axes were stated to gain 4% and 2% for main-hand and off-hand, but actually grant 6% and 3% adrenaline, until it was changed to the binding effect. The same update also partially fixed shieldbow's effect.
- Maxing via Max would also fully heal you (even if you are already maxed), but does not restore drained stats, Prayer or Summoning points.
- The teleport to Combat Academy option bypasses certain restrictions on teleportion. It can be used to smuggle Karamjan rum off the island, or Ana in a barrel outside the Desert Mining Camp. Talking to Irena while carrying it would only cause her to tell you to go look for her daughter, and Ana would be removed from the barrel; afterwards normal dialogue resumes. If you drop it, you receive a message stating "Ana runs off into the desert..." and she would disappear. In both cases you will need to find Ana again. The teleport option does not appear in the Wilderness.
- Lady Deathknell's store gives away many items that are otherwise impossible for the player in question to obtain. For example, Dominion mines can be obtained without their requirements in Dominion Tower, which includes Demon Slayer. Therefore, players can use them against Delrith in the quest (they can damage him as long as Silverlight is wielded).
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Mod Shauny. Beta - Closing Weapon Diversity Beta servers... however!. 22 July 2019. (Archived from the original on 22 July 2019.)
Weapon diversity beta
|Tier 92 Items|
|Tier 60 items|