Voice acting is a feature available in some areas of the game. Most often speech is used alongside text in the chatbox, such as when talking to an NPC, or the text that an NPC "says" above their head. The volume of it can be adjusted from the Audio Options screen.
It was first introduced in-game on 21 April 2010 in the update Slayer Challenges, when voices where added to the (former) tutorial, Unstable Foundations. You could hear Sir Vant, a goblin and several other NPCs talk, along with the player. The intent was to expand speech to a certain amount of the game based on how players reacted to the update. The response to the voices in the tutorial were fairly positive.
Due to positive feedback from the community, Jagex implemented voices to the release of the member's tutorial. At the time of release, voices were only heard in cutscenes during the tutorial. However, at a later date, most of the NPC's found in the tutorial area were given a voice, which was the largest range of voices added at once. Among these added voices, two of the featured voices were those of the voice-acting contest winners, who were also the first members of the RuneScape community to feature in the game or in the official credits on the website. After that, a number of quests were voiced. However, due to increased costs, full voice acting has been largely halted on quests as of 2014.
List of voice actors[edit | edit source]
|Name||Character name||Biography||External link|
|Alix Wilton Regan||Ariane||Alix Wilton Regan was born on January 26, 1986 in London, England.||Alix Wilton Regan on IMDB|
|Ben Crowe||Sir Owen||Ben Crowe is an actor, known for Titanfall (2014), Risen 3: Titan Lords (2014) and Ryse: Son of Rome (2013)||Ben Crowe on IMDB|
|Stanley Townsend||Saradomin||Stanley Townsend was born in Dublin, Ireland. He is an actor, known for The Libertine (2004), Cars 2 (2011) and In the Name of the Father (1993).||Stanley Townsend on IMDB|
|David Rintoul||Zaros||David Rintoul was born on November 29, 1948 in Aberdeen, Grampian, Scotland as David Wilson. Known for Peppa Pig (2004), Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom (2009), Captain Pugwash (1998), and for playing Aerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones (2011).||David Rintoul on IMDB|
|Dan Mersh||Zamorak||Dan Mersh was born on June 20, 1974 in Wimbledon, England.||Dan Mersh on IMDB|
|Charlie Norfolk||Lensig||Charlie Norfolk is an actress, known for The Book of Unwritten Tales (2011), RuneScape (2001) and Driven (1998).||Charlie Norfolk on IMDB|
|Peter Marinker||Wizard Isidor, Sliske, Statue of Death||Peter Marinker is known for his work on Event Horizon (1997), Love Actually (2003) and Judge Dredd (1995).||Peter Marinker on IMDB|
|Toby Longworth||Azzanadra||Toby Longworth is an actor and writer, known for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999), Four Lions (2010) and Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death (2003).||Toby Longworth on IMDB|
|Victoria Kruger||Fern||Victoria Kruger is an actress, known for Dragon Age II (2011), Trine 2 (2011) and Karma Magnet (2008).||Victoria Kruger on IMDB|
|Johnathon Coote||Hierophant Marius||Jonathan Coote is an actor and director, known for Razor Blade Smile (1998), The Last Horror Movie (2003) and Weyback (2000).||Johnathon Coote on IMDB|
|Charlotte More||The Occultist||Charlotte Moore is an actress, known for Alfie (2004), Missed (2005) and Flight of the Swan (1992).||Charlotte More on IMDB|
|Owain Rhys Davies||Goblin||Owain Rhys Davies is an actor, known for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (2011), Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016) and RuneScape (2001).||Owain Rhys Davies on IMDB|
|Michelle Deco||Nurse||Michelle Deco is an actress, known for Good Afternoon! (2013), Chingu 2 (2013) and RuneScape (2001).||Michelle Deco on IMDB|
|Mod Michelle||Marimbo, Jambon||Mod Michelle is a former employee of Jagex.||Mod Michelle's Twitter|
|Mod Liono||Holstein||Mod Liono is an employee of Jagex.||N/A|
|Chris Long||Kal'Ger the Warmonger||Chris Long is a former employee of Jagex, known as Mod Chris L.|
|Mark Ogilvie||Ezekial Lovecraft, Morningstar, Skald Ogson||Mark Ogilvie is an employee of Jagex, better known as Mod Mark.|
|David Osborne||Yk'Lagor the Thunderous||David Osborne is an employee of Jagex, better known as Mod Osborne.|
|James C.||Brassica Prime||James C is an employee of Jagex, better known as Mod Raven.|
|Ana Steiner||Commander Zilyana||Ana Steiner is a former employee of Jagex, better known as Mod Ana.|
|Falcon zb||Wounded Soldier, Soldier (Death Plateau)||Falcon zb was the winner of a voice acting competition.||N/A|
|Trang Nguyen||Trang||Trang Nguyen is a real life member of the United for Wildlife campaign.||United for Wildlife Young Conservationist Page|
|Mauricio Guerra||Mauritzio||Mauricio is a member of the United for Wildlife campaign.||United for Wildlife Young Conservationist Page|
|Doug Cockle||Solak, the Grove Guardian||Doug Cockle is an actor known for playing Geralt in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015).||Doug Cockle on IMDb|
|Sally Orrock||Orla Fairweather||Sally Orrock on IMDb|
|Harriet Kershaw||Villager||Harriet Kershaw on IMDb|
|Giles Wood||Masuta the Ascended||Giles Wood on IMDb|
|Greg Jones||Raksha, the Shadow Colossus|
|Nick Ellsworth||Varanus, the Keeper|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 18 January 2016 (Update):
- Players can now hear the Epic of Bukalla, a Norse-style sung poem, in the Rellekka longhall.
- patch 2 November 2015 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The player character is never voiced during any quest or activity, likely to preserve an idea of uniqueness. However, at one point players did have a voice during the Unstable Foundations tutorial (possibly exclusive to the instant demo), which changed depending if the character was male or female.
- However, whenever the player is injured in the regular game, they make an audible sound of pain. Additionally, the character yells out when using some abilities. They will also exclaim during the Taskmaster emote, saying "HA!". This was voiced by Mod Moltare for male characters and Mod Faye for female characters.
- In early 2011, a poll was released to see if players would like voice chat for players to allow them to communicate with other players over a microphone. Although the results were mostly positive, no info has been heard about this actually being implemented into the game.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Look Who's Talking.*
- ^ Mod Raven. PLEASE! PLEASE!! Make children of mah a voice acted quest I BEG YOU!!!! 🙏 fate of the gods was SO good and the voice acting made is so immersive! Plus I absolutely love zaros, azzanadra and sliskes voices! PLEASE make this quest voice acted :D. reddit.com. 4 November 2016.*