Viniculum Juris is an ancient demonic pact which, when invoked, causes those subject to it to be destroyed if they break their part of the contract. After the terms of the contract have been agreed upon, the pact is invoked by uttering the Infernal words: "Animus contrahendi. Viniculum Juris!".
During Children of Mah, Zaros offers Zamorak to invoke Viniculum Juris to stop Mah's energy drain on the Mahjarrat, in exchange for one action from Zamorak at Zaros's request during Sliske's Endgame. Zamorak, initially resistant, agrees to enter the pact after Enakhra, Hazeel and Bilrach plead with him. The gods invoke the pact and Zaros reverses the energy drain on the Mahjarrat, empowering them with Mah's energy and releasing them from the need to perform any more Rituals of Rejuvenation.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When translated from Latin, the phrase "Animus contrahendi. Viniculum Juris!" translates (verbatim) to the following: "Spirit of contracting. Bond of law!" When interpreted legally, the phrase may be interpreted thusly: "Intention to contract. Legal bond!" By uttering these words, Zaros and Zamorak both magically establish an intention to enter a legal contract with one another under the aforesaid terms, and then magically seal the bond of legal obligation under demonic law.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Zaros, "Children of Mah", RuneScape. "I see only one way we can mutually benefit from this predicament. I suggest we invoke Viniculum Juris, an ancient demonic pact I am sure you are familiar with."
- ^ "Children of Mah", RuneScape.
- Zamorak: You know what happens if you break this vow, Zaros. Viniculum Juris is not forgiving.
- Zaros: Yes...I will be undone.
- ^ Zamorak, "Children of Mah", RuneScape. "With one last ritual you will end the need for any more, prevent any further energy drain and in turn empower us all. If you deliver on this promise, I must perform one action for you in Sliske's game."
- ^ Zaros, "Children of Mah", RuneScape. "The marker is acting as a conduit for Mah to siphon energy through. I will reverse this process. This will allow you all to channel power through the marker, as you would in a Ritual of Rejuvenation. The difference being that this time the ritual will draw on Mah's power directly, infusing it into each of you. Permanently."
- ^ "Sliske's Endgame", RuneScape.
- Sliske: Enough! Zamorak, the stone is yours. Do with it what you will.
- Zaros: No. Zamorak, my Legatus Maximus, the time has come for you to honour our bargain.
- Zamorak: Yes, I expect you to invoke it here. It is a fair exchange for the salvation of my people.
- ^ Animus Contrahendi.*
- ^ Law of obligations.*