|Release date||19 December 2016 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||• Sliske's Endgame|
• Curse of the Black Stone
• Desperate Times
|Location(s)||Sliske's Labyrinth, Mount Firewake, Kethsi|
|Examine||You won't like them when they're angry.|
|NPC ID||8980, 23860, 26370|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
|Release date||14 September 2020 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||• Sins of the Father|
|Sells items||The Effigy Incubator Reward Shop|
|Actions||• Talk to|
• Set up incubator
• Open shop
• Hand in Materials
|Examine||The son of Kerapac.|
|NPC ID||27234, 27235|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
History[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
Vicendithas is a clone of his father, Kerapac, who considered him to be his "son". He is one of the last surviving subjects from his father's cloning project, Project Phoenix. Project Phoenix was an attempt by Kerapac to duplicate himself, using knowledge he had attained from the creation of dragons. The goal of the project is believed to have been to circumvent Jas' curse and overcome the dragonkin's infertility, although the project may have begun even before the dragonkin were cursed. Vicendithas was preceded by a long list of clones all sharing his name. Many of them were stillborn or malformed and disposed of by being lowered into magma. Others died later. Ultimately, Kerapac considered the project a failure.
Creating gemstone dragons[edit | edit source]
His scribblings show some of his past and the unstable relationship he has with his father. When he asked for room in his father's fortress for experimentation, he was given the basement, much to his annoyance. He stole a vial of his father's blood and a white dragon egg to conduct his first experiment, with Kerapac pinning the blame on Forcae when he found they were missing.
With the vial of blood and the egg, he infused it with elven crystal and created a crystalline dragon, calling it his own "daughter". The dragon offspring impressed him as he noted her quick maturity and intelligence growth. He put her in an observation area that is now the present-day edimmu resource dungeon. One day, he was shocked when he found the dragon had matured into an adolescent with six eggs that she inseminated herself. He had hoped for the eggs to hatch into crystalline dragons but was surprised when the eggs hatched into a new species of dragon. The offspring were embedded with onyx, hydrix, and an unknown gem that had never been found before. He decided to call the unknown substance "dragonstone" in honour of his daughter.
Eventually, Kerapac came down and saw the dragon and her offspring. He was impressed by her ability to change sexes at will and demanded to have it along with a few eggs. Vicendithas viewed this equal to dissecting and refused. Fearing for both his creation and her offspring, whom he had come to see as family, he opted to hide them from Kerapac. He hid her offspring in an ancient cavern with precious stones and personally hid his daughter in a location that only he knows of, adamantly refusing to let Kerapac have her.
The Dragonkin Laboratory[edit | edit source]
Despite being disappointed in his son's actions, Kerapac invited Vicendithas to work for him along with Phalaks in order to create a dragon strong enough to seal or destroy Kranon. Vicendithas looked forward to this as an opportunity to mend his relationship with his father but found to his disappointment that Kerapac had not changed since the last time they had met.
Unlike the other dragonkin who treated their creations as mere tools for research, Vicendithas is more partial to the dragons, being the only one to show sentiment, much to the disapproval of his peers. He believes that if they had been treated with respect, their results would not have been disappointing. He named the first celestial dragon, giving it the name Astellarn. He had intended to euthanize her when she returned to the laboratory to end her suffering  but was unable to do so as Kerapac had sealed it after one of his experiments went out of control.
Sliske's Endgame[edit | edit source]
Vicendithas participated in Sliske's Endgame as part of his father's entourage alongside Esskon, Skalekith, Torkuss, and Kalethax. They attempted to sabotage the game with little success, doing minor structural damage to some walls within the maze.
Curse of the Black Stone[edit | edit source]
Desperate Times[edit | edit source]
In one of Kerapac's memories during Desperate Times, Vicendithas is seen arguing with him, inquiring about the veracity of Orthen's existence. Upon learning that his father intends to sacrifice Gielinor's anima to permanently put the Elder Gods to sleep at the cost of all life on the planet, Vicendithas voiced his opposition to the plan.
Effigy Incubator[edit | edit source]
Shortly after Kerapac's plan failed, the archaeologists in Anachronia reported seeing Kerapac near the ruins of his laboratory, which led to Mr. Mordaut asking the World Guardian to investigate these claims. Finding an unexplored room inside the volcano, the World Guardian met Vicendithas instead, who was attempting to continue his father's work to cure the Ilujanka's infertility. He explained that although his father had made great headway, ultimately he was distracted by his obsession with the curse and killing the Elder Gods, something which he implied occurred very often.
Despite the World Guardian binding his father to serve the Elder Gods once again, Vicendithas was pleased that they stopped him, as he had taken a liking to Gielinor. Vicendithas explained that he needed assistance in operating the Effigy Incubator, but could not find any as none of his fellow Dactyl were on speaking terms with him after it was revealed that Kerapac had caused the curse, and even before this revelation, had been shunned by his fellow researchers due to his father. The World Guardian offered their assistance to Vicendithas, who was initially amused but eventually agreed, seeing that it could make a powerful statement to the other Dactyl.
The World Guardian helped Vicendithas create a number of effigies, which held only small fragments of the information he needed. As they continued working, Vicendithas examined the effigies and drew knowledge that his father had kept hidden. Through this, he hypothesied that the Ilujanka were suffering due to their inefficiency in absorbing anima, and also learned of his own creation by Kerapac as a clone. Initially shocked at this revelation, he eventually came to the conclusion that he was superior to his creator, seeing how Kerapac had failed in all of his endeavours, while he himself had been successful with his own work.
Vicendithas soon spoke with the Ilujankans on Gielinor and Iaia. He was impressed with how they both accepted their fate and were surprisingly hopeful for a better future. Three young Ilujankans volunteered to be his test subjects. Before starting, he would investigate to see if the template Kerapac used to create him would be suitable on them, and had warned them beforehand that the success and their safety were not guaranteed. Despite the warning, they still insisted, prompting Vicendithas to remark that they were quite brave and he admired them for that.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Original Vicendithas model was released in December 2016 with the release of Sliske's Endgame. It was identical to the model used by Sakirth. An updated model using the new dragonkin style was released in September 2020 with the release of Effigy Incubator and at some point all his appearances in quests have been updated as well.
Update history[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Vicendithas, "Effigy Incubator", RuneScape. "I am Project Phoenix. In a desperate attempt to escape the curse, my father . . . sought to recreate...himself . . . He copied himself. Using the techniques he had developed from creating dragons. He created clones, his goal was to litter the world with Kerapacs. Most died, of course. In his memories I see myself burning again and again, as he lowers malformed corpses of myself into magma. Some survived, only to die later. So father continued his experiment . . . my father is too indifferent to even give me a different name. Always I am Vicendithas." Chapter 6
- ^ a b c Vicendithas, "Effigy Incubator", RuneScape. "What I do know is that this isn't a recent project. It seems like this is something he's been working on long ago. Perhaps even before my people became cursed. He does, however, consider it a failure. He was looking for some way to transcend the curse and the limitations of the dragonkin. Apparently to overcome our own fertility issues." Chapter 5
- ^ Vicendithas, "Vicendithas' Scribblings", RuneScape. "I heard Kerapac screeching that his vial of blood and his egg had been stolen; of course, Forcae was to blame! The air turns blue when his name is brought up around Kerapac, as such I wasn't even a suspect."
- ^ "Vicendithas' Scribblings", RuneScape. "Hydrix, Onyx and a new... strange, beautiful purple stone that I am yet to discover in the natural wild; by discovery I will name it 'dragonstone' after it's perfect mother."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Vicendithas' Scribblings", RuneScape. "But my child, my perfect first born I have taken her with me. Only I know where I have taken her. I will not allow Kerapac to find her..."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Dragonkin research", RuneScape. "Kerapac invites me back to work for him and has already brought the damnable Phalaks. Grr, no matter. Perhaps this is a chance to work towards mending the relationship with my father."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Dragonkin research", RuneScape. "Father has not changed. He treats his creations as badly as ever, as tools for advancement only."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Dragonkin research", RuneScape. "He continues his old sanitised practices to create a strong, bestial monster and gets a weakened runt of a being, the stone-implants only acting as a wound upon it, blunting the creature's life. I feel really sorry for it. My child, which I have raised with love and care is flourishing. Her crystals hum and she glows with strength."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Dragonkin research", RuneScape. "I am doing my best to care for this one whilst we conduct our research. I've named her Astellarn, though the others won't use the moniker. 'You're a fool to nurture sentiment on a research subject', is what they said. Short-sighted fools."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Dragonkin research", RuneScape. "Phalaks will claim I released it in compassion but he is a lying snake that can't keep a grasp on his own projects. Worry not, Astellarn will return when she finds herself too lost, here is all she knows as home. And don't worry, I know I must euthanise her once she does return, to end her suffering if nothing else. A little kindness might stop those around you from fighting against you or running away. You should learn this, Kerapac, if only that you might save some of your precious time."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Desperate Times", RuneScape. "I found your notes father. You can't do this!
Kerapac: Of course I can. I must. For the good of all kin.
Vicendithas: And what of the others? Everyone on this planet will die!
Kerapac: There is always sacrifice in war. Always casualties. But they breed quickly these races. The ones offworld will replace their numbers soon enough. To save all life in the universe, the lives of one world is a fair trade. We can no longer be chained by useless morality. It is time for this war to end, once and for all."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Sins of the Father", RuneScape. "I am here to finish what my father should have finished years ago. I am here to save a dying people. My father once made an offer to the ilujanka to heal them and allow their race to flourish again. I believe he made remarkable headway, but then, like so often happens, he was distracted by the curse and he abandoned his project to focus on destroying the stone."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Sins of the Father", RuneScape. "My father's single minded obsession was always going to lead to something like this. At least he lives, which means there is always the possibility of his freedom. And that he failed to destroy all life on the planet is a rather pleasant side effect. I like this world."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Sins of the Father", RuneScape. "My father had a great deal of influence and respect in the Dactyl, as you may have guessed. So when he shunned me, the other Dactyl followed suit. And now of course I am doubly cursed. Because after my father's disaster with the Needle and his Shadow Anima machine, I am shunned because I am related to him."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Sins of the Father", RuneScape. "Oh, now wouldn't that be poetic. Me working with the person who enslaved my own father. You're serious? Hrmm. It would definitely make quite the statement and I could use the assistance. Very well World Guardian, let's make this work. I imagine we can both benefit from this machine after all."
- ^ Vicendithas, "Effigy Incubator", RuneScape. "My father wanted to create himself, but instead I created myself and I am a superior version of the template. My father is a failure in many ways. He failed to destroy the elder gods, despite everyone pointing out what a stupid plan it was. He failed to create dragons without the flaws of the kin. I have been more successful there than him. And I will be more successful again." Chapter 7
|Part 6 of the Sliske quest series|