A player wearing Verac's set
Verac the Defiled's equipment is obtainable from the Barrows minigame. Completing the Barrows minigame does not guarantee that players will get a Barrows item. The set requires level 70 Defence to wear the armour and level 70 Attack to wield the weapon. Verac's set used to be the only set of Barrows equipment to give a prayer bonus with each piece until the release of the Akrisae's set, which also gives a higher prayer bonus than Verac's set.
Along with Dharok's and Guthan's sets, Verac's is one of the most popular Barrows equipment.
Verac's Defilement: Abilities and auto attacks have a 20% chance of dealing approx 14% increased damage.
On a small amount of specific monsters that use the Protect from Melee prayer, the set retains its pre-Evolution of Combat effect and has a chance of ignoring them and dealing full damage (most notably the Kalphite queen and Tormented Demons).
When combined with the amulet of the forsaken, the set effect loses its ability to increase damage but gains the ability to reset the global cooldown when an ability or auto attack is used, allowing the user to use an ability or auto attack the tick after the initial hit. In legacy, there is a 20% chance to activate this effect and reset the global cooldown. (EoC has a lower chance) This effect cannot continue to happen after the first activation. For example, players cannot have five instant hits as it caps after one instant hit.
Because the instant hit is used a tick after the initial hit, it's possible to switch to a higher hitting weapon, such as a noxious scythe from the lower-hitting Verac's flail. However, this requires a lot of attention. In legacy mode, one could switch to a weapon with fastest attack speed, switch back to the Verac's flail, and keep attacking. This would reduce the downtime between attacks from the normal 3.6 seconds to 2.4 seconds. However, using tier 90 weapon with fastest speed as the instant hit versus using a tier 90 weapon with average speed is 7% worse.
If done correctly, this can result in an average dps (damage per second) increase of 6-7% in legacy mode using a tier 90 weapon as the instant hit weapon over only using a tier 90 weapon.
A player activating Verac's set effect with the amulet of the forsaken and using a superior Vesta's spear to increase the auto attack damage.
A player activating Verac's set effect with the amulet of the forsaken and using a drygore mace to speed up auto attacks.
A player activating Verac's set effect with the amulet of the forsaken.
A player activating Verac's set effect, Defiler. (Pre-EoC)
Barrows equipment degrades as it is used. Equipment received from the Barrows minigame is fully repaired and can be used for 100,000 charges of combat until it degrades completely and requires repair before it can be used again; it does not suffer in performance as it degrades from fully repaired to fully degraded. The remaining charges of Barrows equipment can be checked by right-clicking it and selecting 'check-charge'. Additionally, Barrows equipment may only be traded if fully repaired or fully degraded. Items lose 20% charge if reclaimed from a gravestone after dying.
There are two ways to repair Barrows armour. Players can talk to any of the NPCs listed below and they will repair the items for a price, or repair the pieces themselves using an armour stand in any player-owned house for a reduced cost based on their Smithing level. The equipment can be repaired at any stage, and the cost will be adjusted according to how much it has degraded. The repair costs below are as if the equipment has fully degraded.
The following NPCs can repair the armour:
|Costs to repair
||POH armour stand
|Level 1 Smithing
||Level 99 Smithing
|The price is exactly 50% when operating a Smithing cape.
template = Barrows repair/calc
form = repairForm
result = repairResult
param = level|Smithing level (1-105)|1|int|1-105||
param = price|price|990000|hidden|||
|The result will appear here when you submit the form.|This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- Verac the Defiled's set effect now works correctly in legacy combat.
- patch 19 July 2010 (Update):
- Fixed a problem with Verac's armour and long female hair.
- patch 23 March 2010 (Update):
- Optimised some of the code dealing with repairing Barrows items.
- ninja 10 June 2019 (Update):
- Various combat equipment sets now have set effects listed in tooltips.
- patch 2 June 2009 (Update):
- Fixed the Strength skillcape emote when wearing Verac’s armour.
- patch 3 March 2009 (Update):
- Verac’s armour should no longer lift your character up off the ground.
- Before the Evolution of Combat update, Verac's set was a very popular choice when fighting the Kalphite Queen because it could breach through her Protect from Melee prayer in her second form, removing the need to bring a secondary style of combat switch.
- The prayer bonuses the set offers were significantly reduced after the Evolution of Combat update.
- Pre-EOC, the idle animation and attack animation of Verac's flail had the ball attached to a chain hanging from the handle. Currently, the ball is seemingly attached to the handle itself and has the same idle and attack animation as a one-handed mace.