Vengeance is a spell that is part of the Lunar Spells that rebounds 75% of the damage of the next hit back to their opponent, similar to a ring of recoil or deflect curses. The player will say "Taste vengeance!" when it is activated. Players may only cast Vengeance once every 30 seconds. Bosses and monsters that are immune to reflect damage are not affected by the spell. Typeless damage can not be reflected using the spell.
In the Duel Arena where only one winner may be declared, Vengeance will not activate if the casting player is killed by the next blow, to prevent both players dying at the same time. Prior to the Constitution update, this was also the case in other PvP situations.
This spell is useful for player killing due to the possibility of dealing multiple instances of damage on the same tick. Players sometimes take off their armour so their opponent will hit a higher hit on them and thus rebounding a higher hit on the enemy with vengeance. However, a way to counter vengeance is to use a damage over time or "bleed" ability, since the first instance of damage gets reflected rather than the entire ability.
As with all Lunar spells, the quest Lunar Diplomacy must be completed to cast this spell. It cannot be cast while in a player-owned house, and the effect will wear off upon log out.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- ninja 26 March 2018 (Update):
- Vengeance spells & Disruption shield will no longer be affected by global cooldown.
- patch 1 October 2018 (Update):
- Prevented damage from Vengeance ignoring various damage reduction/prevention effects.
- patch 24 August 2015 (Update):
- The Vengeance and Disruption shield spells now have a cooldown graphic when on the ability bar.
- patch 3 May 2011 (Update):
- Vengeance will no longer trigger on 0/1 damage hits.
- The animation of the Vengeance skull is also seen in the Quest Within the Light, when the player goes on top of the Death altar. Several vengeance skulls appear and fade away on top of the pillars that surround the altar.
- On 19 April 2011, the sound effect of casting a Vengeance spell was changed.
- If Vengeance is activated during the same in game tick as when you say a message, your character will only say "Taste vengeance!" and your message will be blocked out entirely, except in the chat window.
- The description of Vengeance spells says "75% of the damage received is instead dealt to the attacker", but this is misleading as damage is not actually reduced. The player takes 100% damage of that hit and their attacker takes 75%.