Varrock Dig Site is an archaeological excavation area just east of Varrock. Players need to proceed far enough into The Dig Site quest in order to fully use it. It is visited during several quests, including The Dig Site, The Golem, Desert Treasure, The Temple at Senntisten, Ritual of the Mahjarrat, A Soul's Bane, and Children of Mah.
During the Dig Site quest, players learn that the area was once Senntisten, the capital of the nation of Zaros during the Second Age. During the quest, players find a Zarosian symbol and a tablet telling all mortals to tremble before the power of Zaros. This area is said to be part of a city three times bigger than Varrock which supposedly reached to Edgeville (then known as Paddewwa). It was destroyed during the God Wars and replaced by Saranthium, which was destroyed several hundred years before Avarrocka was established in 700 of the Fourth Age.
After earning 100 kudos in the Varrock Museum miniquest, players will have future access to an unreleased island north of Morytania. The barge to travel there is currently being built just north of the Dig Site. When the island of Anachronia was found, Mr. Mordaut was made overseer of building the barge during the Breaking the Storm event, and many adventurers were recruited to help build the boat.
For players who are doing or have completed The Dig Site quest, the north-west winch at the Dig Site provides access to the Digsite Dungeon. A rope must be used with the winch to enter the dungeon.
A buried skeleton in the Dig Site
Players can dig at Dig Site during and after the quest. The southern part of the Dig Site has several spots available for panning, using a panning tray.
To make use of all dig sites have a rock pick, trowel, specimen jar, and specimen brush in your inventory. Searching specimen trays only require a specimen jar and specimen brush and gives 1 mining experience.
Sample sites only require a trowel, while Level 1 sites require a trowel, and Level 2 sites require a rock pick. Level 3 sites require all equipment, including the specimen jar and brush.
Interestingly enough, sample sites are the only site that allow you to have a full inventory while digging. Using the incorrect tool or equipment will prompt a nearby Dig Site workman to stop and correct you. Digging with the trowel in the sample site gives 5 mining experience. Digging in Level 1 sites gives 6 mining experience, digging in Level 2 sites and private sites give 7 mining experience, and digging in Level 3 sites give 8 mining experience. Each type of site appears to have a different drop table. It is possible to find nothing.
Level 2 Dig Site and Private Site[edit | edit source]
Players can also pan at the south-east part of Dig Site with panning tray. They may get these items when panning:
In the south-east section of the Dig Site it is also possible to search the specimen tray with a specimen jar in the inventory. Doing so will have the player obtain the following:
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 10 June 2019 (Update):.
- An issue with free-to-play players gaining members-only items at The Digsite has been fixed.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):.
- Added examines to the newly reworked digsite area so that the world feels more lively.
- patch 20 May 2019 (Update):
- The Dig Site has been graphically updated.
- The player character will no longer sink into the ground around the site.
- The winches on the surface now properly match up with the relative positions of the caves below.
- There is now a tool cupboard in the exam centre to replace any tools students or workmen might have misplaced.
- patch 11 March 2019 (Update):
- Fixed a force walk tile near Digsite.
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Fixed some graphical issues near the Digsite.
- patch 21 May 2018 (Update):
- Fixed some map height issues to the east of digsite.
- patch 22 January 2018 (Update):
- A section of the cliff north of the Dig site is no longer untextured.
- Players can no longer walk inside one of the pillars in the underground digsite area.
- patch 2 April 2012 (Update):
- It is now possible to ignite explosive bricks in The Dig Site quest.
- patch 15 February 2011 (Update):
- Some floating rocks near a winch have been removed.