Vampyrium, as named by Zaros, is the realm from which the oldest vampyres originate. As one of the so-called 'lower planes', Vampyrium was also one of the first worlds to be created by the Elder Gods. It is known to be 'A world with a blood-red sky and many castles and fortresses,' by its rune on the World Gate. The only confirmed vampyres known to have come from Vampyrium to Gielinor are the four Drakan siblings: Lowerniel, Draynor, Ranis and Vanescula. These Vampyres are referred to as true Vampyres and propagated their race by contaminating other races. They appear to be a lot stronger than other Vampyres as they are the ruling class of Morytania yet the other Vampyres do not seem to like them very much.
Originally, the vampyres of Vampyrium were a predatory and instinctual race, though with some awareness. With the coming of The Empty Lord during his exploration of the universe, this began to change however. Inspired by what he had previously witnessed on the demon homeworld of Infernus, Zaros introduced to the inhabitants of Vampyrium the concepts of society and culture. Vampyrium was thrown into civil war, but eventually an aristocracy consisting of eight houses emerged from the infighting to unify the vampyres. Uplifted, the vampyres pledged fealty to Zaros, and many vampyres would eventually follow him to Gielinor in its Second Age, where they remain to this day. In Zaros absence (some of the) the vampyres that remained on Vampyrium fell from Zaros service. When Zaros later sought a way to cure the Ilujanka of their infertility, he returned to Vampyrium, as he needed to create a stone containing the essence from a powerful inhabitant of this world, to create the Zarytes. He created the stone from the essence of Drakan's mother. Zaros did possibly also collected body parts for his zaryte-experiments on this world.
In the Fifth age, Lowerniel Drakan found a way to return to Vampyrium, by creating a large portal of that used blood as a power source inside Castle Drakan. Lord Drakan had the intention to reclaim the world and return the trueborn vampyres to their original state as hunters. It is unintentionally visited by the player in the quest The Lord of Vampyrium when Lord Drakan drags his sister, the Myreque and several vampyres with him to the homeworld of the vampyres. There he and his venators hunted on the victims, killing almost all of them. Polmafi Ferdygris managed to reactivate the portal back to Darkmeyer, and when the group did so he got pushed back to Vampyrium when Drakan chased the group back to Gielinor. Drakan was eventually killed and Vanescula became the head of House Drakan. Despite the possibility for the vampyres to return to their home world, Vanescula did choose not to. She then arranged the blood stores from Vampyrium to be taken to the Sanguinesti region to solve their blood shortage albeit temporally, and afterwards had the portal destroyed. After the quest the connection to Vampyrium is lost.
At the end of The Lord of Vampyrium, the only known inhabitants are Venators (if they haven't all been slain during the quest) and Polmafi Ferdygris, although it is highly possible that Polmafi died. Other inhabitants may include small creatures like ur-maggots and dire bats, and larger ones like leechwyrms, which were some of the most dangerous predators on Vampyrium. On Vampyrium many bloodwood trees could also be found.
- ^ Mod Slayer. "Fate of the Gods - FAQ." 2014-03-25. Recent Game Updates Forums.
- ^ Zaros, "Memoriam crystal z06", RuneScape. "I continue my exploration of the lower planes of the universe, this time of a world named Vampyrium."
- ^ Zaros, "Fate of the Gods", RuneScape. "At first, they were nothing more than predatory beasts, but I applied what I had learned from the demons and gave them a society."
- ^ Zaros, "Fate of the Gods", RuneScape. "As with any burgeoning society, there was bloodshed and civil war... but eventually an aristocracy rose up that persists to this day."
- ^ Zaros, "Memoriam crystal z06", RuneScape. "Unified, they could perhaps cease their infighting and become greater than the beasts they are."
- ^ Zaros, "The Promised Gift", RuneScape. "Each of the stones was formed from the essence of a powerful inhabitant of the lower worlds. The stone of blood was once the bloody matriarch of Vampyrium. This trueborn vampyre was the mother of my once-servant Drakan, and during my time on Gielinor had fallen from my loyal service and grown corpulent in the manner of ancient Hostilius."
- ^ Vanescula Drakan, "Castle Drakan", RuneScape. "I am now the head of House Drakan and so the nobles will accept me willingly. My brother's call to return to our beastly roots on Vampyrium did not meet with their approval. We have grown too accustomed to our ways on this world."
- ^ Vanescula Drakan, "Castle Drakan", RuneScape. "It will take time to bring all vampyres in line, and we shall require a new source of food to ease the process. As a temporary solution, I shall arrange for the blood stores from Vampyrium to be transported here, after which I shall have this portal destroyed."
- ^ Veliaf Hurtz, "In Memory of the Myreque", RuneScape. "Polmafi may still be out there, somewhere. If I could but return to Vampyrium..."
- ^ The Leech-wyrm Winter, "The Lord of Vampyrium", RuneScape. "It recounts a dry winter in Vampyrium when leech-wyrms moved from the rivers and into the tribelands."
- ^ a b Jagex. "The Old Blood." RuneScape Lores and Histories.