An account's Username, also known as its Login, is the name or email which uniquely identifies the player's account within Jagex's systems. Players must choose a login as part of the process for creating an account, and they currently cannot change it at any time afterwards. Accounts that were created before November 2010 will have a login name that is the first ever character name the account had (the original username upon account creation). Any account created after November 2010 will use a login email. The login email may be different than the registered email.
A username can only be used to access one account.
Choosing a login[edit | edit source]
In general, it is a good idea to maintain a unique login email that is specific only to your RuneScape account. This adds an extra layer of security, making it less likely to appear on leaked database lists and reduces the risk of potential cyber attacks. If the login email will also serve as the account's Registered Email, it is highly encouraged to enable two-step verification with your email provider to further improve security.
Using the same login email for multiple accounts[edit | edit source]
Some email providers allow you to use a variation of your email address that all deliver to the same inbox. This means you can create multiple RuneScape accounts with a slight variation in the login email and still have all RuneScape emails sent to the one email account. Note that the account's Registered Email will be unaltered.
To do this, you can add a plus (+) after your username followed by any number or word. Some examples include:
- email@example.com = firstname.lastname@example.org
- email@example.com = examplelogin+RandomWord@provider.com
In these examples, all mail will still be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org. Most major email providers support plus addressing, such as Gmail, Outlook, iCloud, or Yahoo. To keep your account secure, make sure the additional text is not used elsewhere and would not be obvious to an attacker.
The ability to use the same login email for multiple characters circumvents players needing to continually create new emails in order to make alternate accounts.
Third party created accounts[edit | edit source]
It is possible to create a brand new account from a third party provider. If a user creates an account from a third party source such as Steam, Google, or Game Center, they will not have a username or password set on their account. In this case, it's strongly encouraged to add a login email and password to this account so it can be more secure.
To add a login email to your account:
- Log into the RuneScape website
- Visit your "linked account settings"
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set a login email and password
Character names[edit | edit source]
A player's character name, or display name, is the name seen by other players. This is the name that appears on Friends Lists and Ignore Lists, on the in-game chat and on the website (such as the Forums and Hiscores). On 1 October 2009, Jagex released an update allowing members of RuneScape or FunOrb to change their account's display name. The player's username (which is used to log into the game or website) remains the same. Keep in mind that the display name might be different than the login name.
Once a user has chosen a new display name, their old one will be reserved for at least 35 days. For the first 28 days it isn't possible to change the display name without using a bond, so players have at least a week to return to their old name if they wish to do so. Once 35 days have passed, the old display name will no longer be on hold and can be taken by others.
When a player changes their character name, an icon will appear next to their name on the Friends and Ignore lists. When hovering the cursor over this icon, a player can see the previous names of people on their Friends or Ignore Lists. There is no such feature for the Clan Chat or website.
History[edit | edit source]
Jagex's Terms and Conditions have long since stated that the company can "change any username for any reason", though in practice this is most likely only done for usernames that Jagex considers offensive or inappropriate. Prior to the addition of display name changes, a facility to do this had been in demand from many players for some time, and there had been many requests on the RuneScape Forums. This had reportedly been acknowledged by Jagex moderators.
Jagex confirmed via their Twitter feed on 19 May 2009 that the company is developing a means for players to change their own names, and this had been scheduled for release in summer 2009. This was confirmed on the RuneScape Forums on 25 May. However, a Twitter update on 1 July 2009 implied that there will be a significant delay by saying: "we hope to have it out this year", adding that there are "too many factors to say when it will be out". On 6 August 2009, Jagex CEO Mark Gerhard expanded on the upcoming feature, saying it would be a "display name system" that will "allow you to change your in-game display name to be different from your login name", and that it would be released "shortly".
Technical problems that Jagex needs to overcome include the Friends and Ignore Lists, which presumably would need to update automatically, and allow players to see the previous display names of people on their lists (so that they know who they are talking to). Players may also encounter problems if they change their display name, and then try to change it back; someone else may have taken their old name in the meantime, and it might never become available again. It is possible that Jagex may also make the display names of banned accounts available for others to use.
Previously, Mod Tron had been quoted (by another player) as saying in March 2008: "it remains the case that we are lacking a system which can change account names. I understand that this is something which would make a bunch of people happy, and this is why here at Jagex we are investigating all the possibilities. It is an absolute fact that we are always looking to improve our services for the better. So watch this space!!" Similarly, Mod Craddock had reportedly said: "We also might eventually be introducing a system which allows players to change the name of their account. Watch this space." However, this is difficult to substantiate because the original posts from the moderators have since expired from the forums.
The topic of username changing on the RuneScape Forums remains on the "Do Not Suggest" list, where it has been listed for years. This list was reviewed on 22 September 2008; some other items were removed, but this was not. A forum moderator stated in September 2008 that username changing will never be possible in RuneScape. The following is quoted verbatim: "Generally when idea is in "do not suggest" list, it means that there's no need for additional input on that particular topic. It does NOT mean that it will never happen. However, in this case it does mean that. It has been stated (don't remember where though) that it is technically impossible due amount of references all account names have. I'm certain that sheer amount of such requests, cost included or not, would make the task massive if it was possible." Of course, forum moderators may not have the inside knowledge that a Jagex moderator has, and in any case policies are subject to change.
The FunOrb game Dungeon Assault gave players the ability to change a suffix at the end of their name. This development pattern of a concept starting in FunOrb and then appearing in RuneScape would follow a similar development pattern to the full screen mode. Mod MMG has also reportedly stated in his clan chat that a "name changing" feature will be available in MechScape. On 1 October 2009, the long awaited display name changing update was released, allowing players to change their character name (their login name will still be their original username) once every 28 days.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Terms & Conditions. Jagex Ltd. (Archived from the original on 6 August 2020.) "We reserve the right to make such assessment in our sole discretion, change any username for any reason or take such other action as we believe appropriate."
- ^ OfficialJagex (Mods Ajd and Zapp). Twitter / Official Jagex: @Boklau: we have a project .... status updates. Twitter. (Archived from the original on 1 June 2021.) "we have a project this launching summer that to allow all players more freedom with their names, including them being changeable"
- ^ Mod Sophie. "I Need A Mod!" (Forum Help). Contact Us forum. Jagex Ltd. "There should be a name changing feature coming in the summer, so keep an eye out for this update and you should be able to change your name!"Lost reference*
- ^ Ajd. Twitter / Jagex Ltd: @Melvinkooi & @Ayush_S92: .... statuses. Twitter. (Archived from the original on 1 June 2021.) "a name change system is being worked on, and we hope to have it out this year, but no ETA or further info yet."
- ^ Ajd. Twitter / Jagex Ltd: @Melvinkooi we don't have .... statuses. Twitter. (Archived from the original on 1 June 2021.) "we don't have an ETA for the Name Change system. Too many factors to say when it will be out. Assume 'far' to be safe."
- ^ Gerhard, Mark. Q&A: Mark Gerhard's Answers. Developer Blogs. Jagex Ltd. (Archived from the original on 2009-08-06.) "Yes, we are planning to release a new display name system shortly. This will essentially allow you to change your in-game display name to be different from your login name."
- ^ a b Janto 86. Stuck with a 5 years old name. Game Feedback forum pp. 1. Jagex Ltd. (Archived from the original on 2009-06-02.) "Here's a post from Tron and Craddock ... "Mod Tron Jagex Mod 03-May-2008 00:26:50 Last edited on 03-May-2008 00:28:57 by Mod Tron ... it remains the case that we are lacking a system which can change account names. I understand that this is something which would make a bunch of people happy, and this is why here at Jagex we are investigating all the possibilities. It is an absolute fact that we are always looking to improve our services for the better. So watch this space!! ... "Mod Craddock Jagex Mod 02-Mar-2008 22:51:32 Last edited on 02-Mar-2008 22:53:04 by Mod Craddock ... We also might eventually be introducing a system which allows players to change the name of their account. Watch this space." ... "Mod Timbo Jagex Mod 15-May-2009 10:34:10 Last edited on 15-May-2009 10:40:42 by Mod Timbo ... Name change capabilities are in the plans for the future although any further information cannot be disclosed at this minute in time. A lot of people now don't like their name as they've matured and it's only fair that they get the opportunity to do so!""
- ^ a b "Changing your Runescape Name?" - Jagex Store Feedback, RuneScape Forums
- ^ a b "Be able to change your rs name" - Jagex Store Feedback, RuneScape Forums
- ^ "Possible Name Changes?" - Future Updates, RuneScape Forums
- ^ Do Not Suggest - List. RuneScape Forums pp. 1. Jagex. "Skills/Character Suggestions... Username changing"Lost reference*
- ^ Mage Rughar. Name Changing, I Know Rules.... RuneScape Suggestions forum pp. 1. Jagex.Lost reference*