User talk:Sir Veylantz
Hello, Sir Veylantz, and welcome to the RuneScape Wiki! Here are a few pages that you might find helpful:
If you have any trouble or need help, feel free to ask questions on my talk page or any other editor's talk page. We hope you like it here and decide to stay!
Personal Image[edit source]
Hello. An image that you have uploaded appears to be personal. Personal files should not be hosted on the RuneScape Wiki (see RS:NOT#HOST). If you want to add a picture of your RuneScape character, or any other media that doesn't fit in an article, you may upload it on an image hosting site, such as Photobucket, ImageShack, or Imgur. If you need more details feel free to ask any question you have on my talk page. ɳex undique 02:46, August 31, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks, I was not aware of that. I saw other images, and I assumed (how silly of me). --Sir Veylantz - The Unknown Temple Knight, always watching from The Shadows. (talk) 02:48, August 31, 2012 (UTC)
- It's alright, everyone makes mistakes ɳex undique 02:51, August 31, 2012 (UTC)
Heya, Vey. Thanks for contributing to the RuneScape Wiki (applying transparency to File:Daero.png), but the use of the fuzzy select tool (also known as magic wand) is not recommended for transparencies. Instead, people tend to use the free-select tool (also known as lasso tool) which, when the layer is zoomed, allows you to make edges smoother. See [[User:Spineweilder/Transparency_guide|Spine's transparency guide]] to know how to do it correctly (which helped me a lot). Habblet (talk|c) 19:17, September 2, 2012 (UTC)
Image names[edit source]
Hi Sir Veylantz, thank you for uploading an image to the RuneScape wiki. However it has been moved/re-uploaded to File:Dragon rider gauntlets.png as per the Images and media policy, specifically this subsection. In the future, it would be helpful if you could upload images under a more suitable or descriptive name. Thank you,
- And where exactly did you get that image from, when the item is currently unreleased? 14:22, October 5, 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry about that, I will make sure that does not happen again. I posted the BTS video on the Update hints page. --Sir Veylantz - The Unknown Temple Knight, always watching from The Shadows. 14:35, October 5, 2012 (UTC)
Image names[edit source]
Hi Sir Veylantz, thank you for uploading an image to the RuneScape wiki. However it has been moved/re-uploaded to File:Dragon rider boots.png as per the Images and media policy, specifically this subsection. In the future, it would be helpful if you could upload images under a more suitable or descriptive name. Thank you, 14:28, October 5, 2012 (UTC)
Two admins when asked stated it's better to have an AA untrans'd than to have a non-AA trans'd. Would you prefer if I added transparency (and kept the particle effects in)? Coelacanth0794 Talk 21:40, October 11, 2012 (UTC)
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Please do add transparency, as I can't seem to have much luck with the particle effects (and having a decent picture to show for it). Sir Veylantz (talk) 22:19, October 11, 2012 (UTC)
Wikian title[edit source]
Hi, would you like to be nominated for the Wikian title? :) 20:01, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
- Yes please, that would be an honor! Sir Veylantz (talk) 21:41, 26 February 2020 (UTC)
- Here you go :) 21:21, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
The Wikian Title[edit source]
Hi Sir Veylantz, your request for the Wikian title was successful. Please contact Gaz Lloyd on his talk page, in the wiki Discord channel, or in-game (RSN: Gaz_Lloyd) so that he may give you the title. Sincerely, 13:17, 6 March 2020 (UTC)
Renaming files[edit source]
Hi, thanks for your work organising the compass clue images. I noticed your requests for image renames and I've just added you to the custodian usergroup which will allow you to move files to new names. If you're doing this more generally across the wiki be sure to follow the guidance found on the image policy. The option to move is on the dropdown near the edit button; when moving files do not leave a redirect - you must fix any links to old file name (you can use Special:WhatLinksHere to check). 22:21, 21 March 2020 (UTC)
- Wow, thank you for the trust and responsibility. I am honoured, and will make sure to continue doing good work! Sir Veylantz (talk) 08:17, 22 March 2020 (UTC)
Compass clue images[edit source]
Hey, I'm just uploading some compass clue image updates and I noticed that you'd retaken some to have midday lighting - technically these are like location images where we'd typically use the area's default lighting - I think it might make it harder for people to recognise an area to change the lighting to midday in with these. Also would it be possible for you to take images 860x540 px size? I take them this size and I think that's what the majority are at - to keep them consistent on the page? Sorry to be picky - I'm glad someone else is working on updating the page but I'd like everything to be standardised if that's okay :)14:47, 30 April 2020 (UTC)
- I had thought we were using midday as a standard for locations (especially when it was dark), but after relooking at Help:Editing/Taking images, I see it is mentioned to be on for everything excluding locations. Yeah, I can work on retaking with the default location's lighting - my bad! As for sizing, not a problem I can do that too. I am happy to mark the midday lighting ones as requiring retakes, if not already retaken. What do you think about sizing, is that worth a retake tag (I'm referring to not the images I took)? Just curious how much we would want it enforced. Sir Veylantz (talk) 19:49, 30 April 2020 (UTC)
- No problem! Generally I haven't been tagging any images for retaking as I know it's many of them and no one had really shown interest in retaking them before - for the size it may not be worth it as people tend to find cropping/taking at the right size a bit difficult but I'd retake them personally if I came across the location while doing clues. 19:19, 1 May 2020 (UTC)
Retake tag[edit source]
Hey! Retake tags should really only be used on scan clue location images when the retake is material to knowing the scan clue's location (at least, that's the way I see it). The image doesn't need the tag if the only difference is a small portion of water got updated, that crowds the category with too many images that aren't high on the priority list and there's less of a chance that the important retakes get noticed. Just letting you know that I've removed some of your recent additions. Thanks! ɳex undique 00:43, 10 June 2020 (UTC)
- I understand your argument that these retake tags aren't material to knowing where the locations are. However, I feel that these images are critical for the user to understand the surrounding location as well. On my talk page here (the article just above), Isobel highlights the criticality of making sure the readers can "recognise an area". If we kept old images that are several generations of graphical updates old, I feel it would be hard for the average user to understand at a glance where the location is. They would need to focus on the key landmarks and interpret, rather than see the image and understand automatically. Also as important, if I as a casual user see an image from 2013 with all of the outdated graphics, what would I think of the Wiki? Would my first though be that the image is "good enough" for what I need, or that maybe this section of the Wiki might be neglected.
- This being said, a majority of the images that I have marked for retake (across all TT clue images) are from 2015 or earlier. Obviously it was not a priority for these images to be updated. This could be due to different factors, such as people not willing to put in the time to retake, the images were not being used as a reference point, or they were useful enough in their current (albeit graphically old) format. I think it is a combination of the three. Take Catherby rework, for instance. There are 2 locations (1, 2) that haven't been retake since the town's rework. I have no idea where these locations are now, post-rework.
- Thinking solution-oriented, the major point you brought up was that these images just "crowds the category" and that image takers won't notice the more important retakes. Maybe, we can have a secondary sub-category for less important retakes? These would be for retakes that can take the slow boat and be retaken at leisure without impacting the functionality of the Wiki. Or instead, make a sub-category for high priority retakes. These would be for retakes that should be done ASAP to ensure accurate information is being conveyed in the Wiki. Thinking about clue images, this image in Catherby would be an example of a high priority image while this image in the Fremennik Isles would be a low-priority retake. This of course can be applied to all the retakes, with effort focused on the few hundred images that need attention rather than the other thousand that can be done whenever we have time.
- Sir Veylantz (talk) 01:13, 10 June 2020 (UTC)
Scan clue Ardougne duplicate location[edit source]
No, they are not the same location. The big wall kinda looks the same, but other surroundings are completely different, and it's in totally different corner of the area. I can also confirm that both locations are still in game even though the other picture is very outdated. Thingummywut (talk) 20:30, 17 June 2020 (UTC)
Agility pyramid compass clue[edit source]
I noticed you recently updated the picture for File:Compass_clue_Sophanem_west_of_Agility_Pyramid.png. Do you remember if the location is accurate? I just got a clue that was very close to it (7 paces west, 2 south of the picture), and was wondering if this a new location or if the picture is just inaccurate. Thingummywut (talk) 23:15, 17 June 2020 (UTC)
- I can't recall off the top of my head. I do know that I double checked a lot of the images with landmarks in the iamge, or coords from the "All Compass Locations" on the Treasure Trails/Guide/Compass page. I believe I did it for all, but I guess it is possible I missed the location. I doubt they added a new compass clue location, so it looks like I took the picture in the wrong spot. Thanks for spotting that and reaching out. I've marked the image with a retake with the directions you left. Sir Veylantz (talk) 00:24, 18 June 2020 (UTC)
Hotspot transparencies[edit source]
Thank you for pointing that out! I'll try using the lasso tool on the hotspots this time and we'll see how they come out.14:55, 22 June 2020 (UTC)
Precision used?[edit source]
- 52. That's from a necronium mattock and, from memory, the +2 precision boost from the guild. Sir Veylantz (talk) 18:31, 14 July 2020 (UTC)
Do you want a free wiki t-shirt?[edit source]
Hi Sir Veylantz!
To celebrate the two-year anniversary of the new site, we're giving away RuneScape Wiki t-shirts to a bunch of wiki editors. Because of your contributions to the community over the last year, we'd like to send you one! If you're interested, go fill out this form, and we'll get those shipped out before the end of the month.
If you have any questions, shoot me a talk page message or a DM on Discord (Cook#2222). Thanks!
- Thank you so much! I had read through the board notes and noticed the chatter about the shirts. So excited to be receiving one of my own! Sir Veylantz (talk) 09:15, 4 October 2020 (UTC)
Good work![edit source]
Hi Sir Veylantz! Just wanted to say, good work on the wiki images! We need people like you to process images for transparancy or get good quality uploads. Keep it up! Thanks AmoVos 09:02, 4 October 2020 (UTC)
- Thank you so much for the kind note, I really appreciate it! Sir Veylantz (talk) 09:21, 4 October 2020 (UTC)
Grey dots[edit source]
Good work with all the image uploads, however almost all of your recent uploads seem to have some dead pixels | like this. I'm unsure what the cause is or if anyone not in the process of adding transparency would notice. I do think it would be nice if you could figure out what the cause is so you can avoid it though. 01:41, 19 February 2021 (UTC)
- I noticed it at the beginning in the first couple images, and tried to fix it, but I couldn't figure out the reason. I honestly forgot to check for most of the images, so I apologize if they're almost all impacted by graphical artifacts. Since you brought it up as a concern, I did another bout of troubleshooting and worked out it was due to the anti-aliasing method used!
- Using FXAA (fast AA), the pixels aren't dead, but using MSAA (multi-sampling AA) or FXAA+MSAA (mix of both) results in some dead pixels *only* for female characters. MSAA/FXAA+MSAA results in superior AA clarity, which is why I never thought to try another method to resolve the graphical artifacts when in a female character.
- I'll retake the pictures over the weekend!
- Sir Veylantz (talk) 04:55, 19 February 2021 (UTC)
- All done! Thanks again for pointing it out. Sir Veylantz (talk) 21:53, 22 February 2021 (UTC)
Stream pages[edit source]
Hey thanks for creating all those livestream pages, I just wanted to point out that player names shouldn't be linked like you did on this one as per RS:PDDA. I've unlinked all player names on all livestream pages. 13:07, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks for the pointing it out and fixing it. Just so I don't make the mistake again, do I only include J-Mods in the participants tab, or do I include all participants (J-Mods and players), but only link to a page when a J-Mod, like on this one? Sir Veylantz (talk) 18:32, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah, it's fine to include players as participants, just leave them unlinked. 07:49, 11 March 2021 (UTC)
OSWF prize[edit source]
Hi, I am just contacting you to update you that we have added a new rule to OSWF that prizes will expire if not collected within 6 months of being awarded. We are allowing a further 1 month for people to claim their outstanding prizes; after this all prizes over 6 months old will expire. We will then continue to apply the 6 month limit going forward. You currently have an outstanding prize to claim so please get in touch if you want to claim it! You can leave a message on my talk page or contact the OSWF helpers using the @oswf-rs-helper role on Discord. Thanks, 10:55, 19 August 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks Isobel for reaching out! I have been absent from Runescape and the Wiki for the past couple months, for personal reasons. I am back now, for the most part. I would be happy to receive the prize at some point in the near future! I'll keep an eye out for you on Discord, or I might even catch you in-game. 13:11, 25 August 2021 (UTC)