|Cook's Assistant (#1)|
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Voice Over||Unknown edit|
|Main developer(s)||Paul Gower|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Cook's Assistant is the oldest of the RuneScape quests, and is often one of the first quests completed by new players as it is fairly simple. Players can complete Cook's Assistant without leaving Lumbridge.
It was one of six quests available during RuneScape's launch. Although, Jagex mentioned in the March 2006 issue of the Postbag from the Hedge that Cook's Assistant was the first quest they started to develop.
The quest has become well-known in the player community as a "noob" or "newbie" quest. It is present in many jokes among players, as well as negative remarks. Jagex expanded on this by mentioning it in the 2008 Easter event, in which it was used to make the Chocatrice angry. "...It said you couldn't even do the Cook's Assistant quest", "it" referring to the Easter Bunny.
- 1 Storyline
- 2 Official description
- 3 Reworks
- 4 Development team
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Walkthrough
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Duke Horacio of Lumbridge Castle is having a birthday party, and the Lumbridge Castle cook is to prepare the meals and cake. Although he apparently has forgotten to purchase the ingredients for the cake. He hasn't got enough time to get them himself, so is in need of an adventurer to get the items for him.
An adventurer comes across the worried cook, and offers to help. The cook says he is in need of only a few ingredients; a bucket of top-quality milk, a pot of fine flour and a super large egg. The adventurer sets off to collect the items from the local farms. Gillie Groats helps by directing the adventurer to her prized cow, which produces the top-quality milk. Millie Miller teaches the adventurer how to use the mill and create fine flour. The adventurer then finds the super large egg in one of the local farms, before heading back to see the cook. He is greatly pleased, and rewards the adventurer for the help.
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||The Duke of Lumbridge is having a birthday, but the cook forgot to purchase the ingredients for the cake. The Lumbridge castle cook is in a mess; he needs some ingredients and does not have much time.||”|
Reworks[edit | edit source]
The quest has been reworked 2 times since its release. The second rework was implemented 15 December 2009. The entire reward for the quest was formerly only 300 Cooking experience and 1 Quest Point. The 500 coins and 20 sardines (noted) were added with the second rework. The improvement also changed the type of ingredients that were required. Beforehand, the player only had to bring an ordinary egg, bucket of milk and flour. This meant that players could finish the quest just by talking to the cook twice with the ingredients ready. Jagex most likely changed this to force new players to have a tour of basic facilities of Lumbridge and understand the quest system properly. Although, as of March 20 2010 it is possible to simply use regular eggs, milk and flour to complete the quest. This may be a glitch, or simply an attempt by Jagex to make the quest easier yet again.
Development team[edit | edit source]
Original[edit | edit source]
Rework[edit | edit source]
- Developer: Chihiro Y
- Quality Assurance: Daniel G
- Graphics: Matt M
Second Improvement[edit | edit source]
- Developer: Fred M
- Quality Assurance: Dean O, James H
- Graphics: Alec , Giuseppe G, Daniel J
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- After the quest, when Recipe for Disaster is started, the Cook reveals he had the ingredients for the cake already, and was only testing the adventurer.
- Despite being one of the easiest and shortest quests in RuneScape, Cook's Assistant is the only requirement other than level 10 Cooking required to start its sequel, Recipe for Disaster, one of the longest quests in the game.
- Fishers usually finish this quest to use the range for the convenience.
- This is the only free quest that gives Cooking as an experience reward directly.
- There is no need to speak to the cook again after the quest to use his range, as instantly after completion the player is automatically granted full access. If the player does, he tells you about the Cook-o-Matic 25, and the player obtains the Cook-o-Matic 25 Manual. This manual will show what food benefits from the magical abilities of the range.
- Players will not be able to use the Lumbridge Windmill to create regular flour if they have started the quest before talking to Millie.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Start point:||Go to Lumbridge Castle. Talk to the cook; tell him that you will help.|
|Enemies to defeat:||None|
Starting Out[edit | edit source]
[[File:Cook's Assistant start point.png|right|180px|thumb|Quest start point.]] To begin this quest, the player should talk to the cook in the kitchen of Lumbridge Castle's first floor. He will tell the player that he needs ingredients to make a cake for Duke Horacio for his birthday (It is revealed at the beginning of Recipe for Disaster that he was only testing you). He wants the player to retrieve a bucket of top-quality milk, a pot of extra fine flour and a super large egg, and to bring those items back to him. If you ask where the ingredients can be found, he will marks places on your world map in red, and if you have the quest set as your objective the area items are located is shaded blue.
Obtaining the Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Before heading off to collect the ingredients, players should take the pot that is sitting on the table in the kitchen to collect the flour in. A pot may also be obtained at the mill where you will collect the flour. The bucket for collecting milk can be obtained from the cellar through the trapdoors in the kitchen, or next to the cow where the milk is collected. You could alternatively buy both of these items in a general store .
Obtaining a Bucket of Top-quality Milk[edit | edit source]
The cow field is east of the River Lum. It is just south of the chicken farm. Here you have to talk to Gillie Groats for advice on how to get top-quality milk, she will direct you to her prized cow east of her by the fence. There is a bucket beside the cow. You milk the cow for top-quality milk.
Obtaining a Pot of Extra fine Flour[edit | edit source]
To make the flour:
- Pick some wheat from the field to the north-west of Fred the Farmer's farm.
- Head north along the road to the east of the field and you should find Mill Lane Mill, a windmill . Go inside and talk to Millie Miller about making extra fine flour before you head up to the top floor. Put the grain into the hopper and pull the lever. Now head down to the ground floor and if you have a pot in your inventory, empty the flour bin and you will have a pot of extra fine flour.
Obtaining a Super large Egg[edit | edit source]
There are two locations a super large egg can be obtained near Lumbridge:
- Fred the Farmer's farm, north of Lumbridge and south of Mill Lane Mill. There is one super large egg respawn here. You can get here by walking north from the front of Lumbridge Castle.
- The farm to the north-east of Lumbridge, east of the River Lum. Cross the bridge going across River Lum North-east of the castle and follow the path north. After a little while, you will come across a chicken farm on the west side of the path. There is one super large egg respawn in this farm.
Now that all three of the ingredients have been collected, take them all back to the cook and the quest will be completed.